would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Broadband speed slows to almost zero each evening - requires router reset

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
largolady
Conversation Starter

Hi. For the past 4 days I've noticed my internet speed drop to almost zero during the early evening. A brief cure is to turn the router (HG633) off and on but the speed soon drops off again.

Obviously, I don't want to have this every day so can anyone suggest what the issue is? I suspect it concerns the new fibre cable installed outside my house a couple of weeks ago. An email from TalkTalk tells me I've been upgraded to 'Fast Broadband Extra' for free. Excellent news but I'd like to know if this is linked to the evening drop-out.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi largolady,

I'm sorry to hear this. Just to confirm, does this affect both the wired and wireless speed?

Thanks

Highlighted
largolady
Conversation Starter
Hi Michelle. Good question. I'll wire it up and report back this evening.
Highlighted
Community Team

Hi

Testing with a wired device helps to identify if it is just a wifi problem 🙂

A quick check on your line here shows the sync speed at the router of 34mb.

All line tests are showing clear.

Thanks

Karl. 

Highlighted
largolady
Conversation Starter
Thanks Karl. It's now 7pm and for the past 15 minutes I've been doing speed tests. It's not as dead slow as it's been but the results have ranged from the low teens to the low twenties. And for a short while, the TalkTalk checker 'couldn't find a server'. If there's an OCE (what does that stand for?) there just now, perhaps you could do a proper check on my connection? Many thanks.
Highlighted
largolady
Conversation Starter

It's 8.10pm (been away for an hour) and speed tests are now just hitting 10mb (with ethernet). Even allowing for peak period, that can't be right can it?

What's really odd is that I've just downloaded a file at full speed (3 MB) and speed tests are still a very slow 7Mb.  Weird...

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi largolady,

Thanks for retesting this. As the line tests are clear would you like us to send a replacement router (3782) for testing purposes to see how the throughput speeds compare?

Thanks

Highlighted
largolady
Conversation Starter
No thanks, Michelle, everything's fine during the day so I'm hoping the odd behaviour in the evenings will 'settle down' once these new fibre cables have been given some time.
Highlighted
Community Team

Hi largolady,

Ok please let us know how the connection compares and if you need any assistance 🙂

Thanks