DLink

11.14 down. 9.02 up

22.92 down. 15.40 up

27.75 down. 15.32 up

Huawei

37.35 down. 14.38up

20.67 down. 14.46 up

24.19 down  14.49 up.

Still showing instability on either router.

Highlighted
Community Star

The problem with wireless connections is that there are a lot of potential sources of interference and even tests close together can produce wildly different results. Do you know what band your TV and tablet connect on?

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Not quite sure which bands you are referring to. If you mean from the router both are on 2.4g but I have split the bands so have the option of using 5g which is what I usually use for the TV as it is close to the router. The tests were all carried out on 2.4g.

Highlighted
Community Star

Yes that's what I meant, thanks for clarifying. I take it the tablet doesn't support 5GHz?

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Yes, the tablet supports 5g which is what  I connect to in the vicinity of the router as it is faster, but 2.4g gives the strongest WiFi signal so I use that when I am in the garden or upstairs.

Highlighted
Community Star

OK, well that flexibility is going to come at a cost in terms of speed I fear. Have you used a wifi analyser to see the various networks around you? You can then try manually selecting the least crowded. Alternatively you could try installing wireless repeaters. 

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Hi Ferguson.

Thanks for the input. It's not the lack of speed but the instability even close to the router that is the problem.

Regards

Highlighted
Community Star

There may be some issues close to the router. Is it in an unenclosed, open location, relatively high up and away from any sources of possible electrical interference? 

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Apart from the socket that the router is connected to, the nearest possible electrical interference  point is a double socket 8 feet away which power the TV and a table lamp. The router is 4 ft above ground against an outside wall in a normal size living room. 

Not quite sure where we are going with this now. If the line is testing ok there is not much the oce's can do. Thanks for everyone's efforts to help.

Best regards. David.

Highlighted
Community Star

I think we are going in the direction of trying to improve your wifi performance.  🙂

If you don't want to go through a full wireless analysis then you could try manually switching between bands 1, 6 and 11 in the 2.GHz band, see which seems best. Also, make sure that bandwidth is set to 20MHz only, channel bonding causes more trouble than it's worth. 

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Dave,

How are you getting on, have you tried ferguson's advice of switching channels?

Chris

Highlighted
Chat Champion

I have tried everything but speeds currently measured at between 11 and 14 MHz. I had better when I was on copper wire.

I have just run a service status test with the service centre and received the following message. We suspect an issue with your broadband.

I could have told them that. I don't think that the line between the exchange is working correctly. Speeds of between 40 plus dropping to 11 is not really acceptable even over WiFi. 

Thanks anyway.

Regards.

Highlighted

Hi Dave

The line tests are detecting a possible line issue/fault towards the property.

Is your router at the test socket at the moment?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Hi Debbie.

Yes I am connected to the test socket.

Current speed is 25 down 14 up.

Regards.

Highlighted

Hi Dave

Thanks for your reply.

As the line test is detecting a possible issue then we would need to arrange an Openreach engineer visit to the property.

Would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Hello Debbie.

Yes please but not before the week commencing 21 September.

Regards Dave.

Highlighted

Hi Dave

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can arrange this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted

Hi Dave

Thanks for confirming your details. The line test is now clear and the line is in sync at just under 60mb.

What speed are you now receiving when running a speed test?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Hi Debbie.

Router in test socket. Broadband speeds checked as-:

2.4G.       Down 27.8.   Up 14.39

5G.           Down 46.42.  Up 14.32.

Test carried out over WiFi .  Tablet one foot away from router.

Big difference between 2.4 G which is not really super fast and 5G which is ok.

Many thanks for your patience and assistance.

Best regards. David.

Highlighted

Hi David

Thanks for your reply.

Could you power down the router for 30 minutes and then run another speed test?

Debbie