would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Broadband speed

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi,

My router says my broadband speed is 38.6 Mbps however, when I do a download speed test it comes as 27.2 Mbps. Please check if any setting on my line needs to be changed to get the speed the router says I should be getting. 

Thanks

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi aNoori. How are you doing your speed test? Wired usually produces a better result.

Regardless of this the sync rate will always be higher than the speed test

Mine shows a sync of 73999 and a WiFi speed of 63000

The community is very busy, what took minutes can take hours. Be patient, avoid multiple posts and stay healthy, please. 0345 172 0046 working Lo
Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi,

It is wired directly to the router. The speed test is both from Google and Talk talk.

I had a lot problem with my line and had 3 engineer's visit to sort it. About a month ago the router speed (Sync) was 28 Mbps and the speed test showed it as 14Mbps. At the end somebody changed  some of my line parameters and the download speed went up to about the same as the sync speed. Now after one month the sync speed has gone up to 38Mbps as the line has settled with the new router and external line, but the download speed has not changed. That is why I think something needs to be changed (optimised) again.

Regards  

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi, I've flagged your post for assistance and you should hear during the day;-)

The community is very busy, what took minutes can take hours. Be patient, avoid multiple posts and stay healthy, please. 0345 172 0046 working Lo
Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi aNoori,

Just to confirm, have you tried switching the router off for a full 30 minutes and then retested the speed again?

Thanks

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi,

Just done it and no speed change.

Regards

Highlighted

Hi aNoori

Was it switched off for a full 30 minutes?

Have you also run the speed test using a different device? (running a wired speed test)

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Yes it was off for 1 hour. I have connected my laptop to the router directly and then my desktop wirelessly and the speed were the same with both.

Highlighted

Hi aNoori

Your line is showing in sync at 36.6mb.

Do you have a different router that you can test with?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi,

Unfortunately not. The download speed has been fluctuating during the last few days. It went up to about 38Mbps for a day or two then went back to 25Mbps for a further few days.

I have just checked it and it is around 35Mps.

Thanks

Highlighted

Hi aNoori

I can send a replacement router for testing, would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Popular Poster

The router I have is a brand new Hub router received a month ago. 

Do you think a test one would help? Also what was changed on the line that increased the download speed (just for my reference)?

Thanks

Highlighted

Hi aNoori,

If the wired speeds are fluctuating then it would be worth testing with a different router to rule this out. Do you still have the original router?

Thanks