Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Broadband username/password

33 REPLIES 33
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi everyone.

I finished chatting with somebody on the webchat about 2 hours ago.

I asked for username and password to connect/use my own router to access internet.

The person to whom i talked said it will send me a "supermail" (their words) with all the details regarding this issue. I'm still waiting. Personally i think he/she was taking the pi**.

I previously been with EE/Plusnet. I am using the same setup. I even gave the talk-talk crappy router a chance. It keeps loosing sync. So it is definetelly the router's fault.

With the other providers i have used a Linksys EA6900 and a separate modem with no issues. Never. Perfect connection.

Can someone help me out with those details? Please.

I know the user is my landline phone number Removed forSecurity @talktalk.net. But i don't know the password. And no. It won't connect if i set the router to Automatic. It needs to be set to PPPoE.

P.S. I am a I.T. engineer. So please stop asking lame questions like adaptors, filters, cables, master socket and stuff.

Thank you and i wait for you help.

I Eat Routers For Breakfast
Highlighted
Team Player

See the link below for details of non-ISP router set-up config - you usually shouldn't need either username or password as it should identify via the number linked to your line. But if your router insists on it there's an automated phone number in the link that should give it to you.

https://help2.talktalk.co.uk/setup-non-talktalk-router

I'm interested to know the outcome myself, as I have a Fritz!box waiting for me at home to set up once I return from my current business trip, as I've had enough of the cheap HG/DL crap and want something fit for purpose.

BTW it's PPPoA for fibre, not PPPoE. The latter is for ADSL (copper wire) standard broadband, Talktalk uses VDSL for their fibre broadband.

Highlighted
Community Star

That link relates to ADSL routers. It is neither PPPoE nor PPPoA for fibre, it is IPoE with automatic login.

Highlighted
Team Player

Hmm, that was the reference and info given to me last week by one of the webchat minions on this very subject for when I do this next weekend.

I guess I really should know better than to believe them by now...

Highlighted
Community Star

@DarrenHill You could try searching across the community for your particular router, it may be that others have posted successful details already. Otherwise start your own topic. TalkTalk are no different from any other major ISP in offering direct support for their routers only.

Highlighted
Team Player

@ferguson I haven't tried it yet, as I'm on a business trip until the end of next week and the router only arrived at home yesterday.

I asked the webchat just for reference as I was already talking to them (their not being able to connect to my second HG633 even after a factory reset was the final straw in my investing in my own kit).

I have other reference and information in setting it up - from what I can gather it does sort automatic logging in.

Highlighted
Community Star

No problem, but the more information you provide the more it seems it would be better under your own topic, rather than hijacking someone else's. 

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Thank for the answer. I know that guide. I've read it, conformed with it, still nothing.

I had fibre broadband with the other two providers. PPPoE.

I've asked for the password first time a few days back. That person gave me one which does not work. Probably some random stuff also to shut me up.

Conversation Starter
That link relates to ADSL routers. It is neither PPPoE nor PPPoA for fibre, it is IPoE with automatic login.

No it is not. It does not work. Tried two different routers. NOPE. That automatic crap only works with the crappy router talk-talk provided. That's it.

Highlighted
Team Player

I wasn't hijacking anything as currently I don't have the issue (although this time next week when I try myself that may change).

I was merely sharing the information that was given to me on this subject in the hope it might have been helpful.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

It is ok Darren. I don't mind.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Oooh look. A few more hours have passed and still no "super mail" in my inbox...

I am seeing a cancelation request in the near future.

Highlighted
Community Star

@AlinC Have you read what I posted earlier? What router are you using?

Highlighted
Conversation Starter
Have you read what I posted earlier? What router are you using?

Yes and it is not the answer.

Have you read mine? I wrote there what router i am using. Or better... the router i want to use.

Highlighted
Community Star

@DarrenHill "Hijacking" is not intended as a pejurative term, it is just a description of someone using someone else's topic to raise their own issues, which you had started to do after your initial contribution. That's all. And the way these forums work it can be more unhelpful than elsewhere.

Highlighted
Community Star

Sorry, what is not the answer? Does your router not have the facility to automatically obtain an IP address using IPoE?

Highlighted
Team Player
I wasn't actually raising an issue, merely explaining where the information you corrected actually came from in the first place. Although I guess it could have been misinterpreted that way. Just trying to share and help.

As you noted there are a few threads already about similar routers to mine (a Fritz!box 7590) so hopefully I won't have the same issue that @AlinC is suffering.

Anyway I'll bow out of this thread now before I do end up hijacking it...
Highlighted
Enlightened One

@DarrenHill wrote:

Anyway I'll bow out of this thread now before I do end up hijacking it...

....... and if you are still not sure what pejurative means DarrenHill, look up pejorative, I did!

Highlighted
Community Star

It means a typo, blessed are those who have never made one 🙄

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Fixed the problem. Somewhat... Nerd_face

Linksys EA6900, apparently, doesn't work with Dynamic IP on Talk-Talk. Thank you Linksys.

I've bought a TP-Link W9970 (review) and left my EA6900 working as a repeater for the improved wireless and gigabit network.

48 hours later, the connection still going strong and stable. No disconnects 2-3 times a day because of the crappy talk-talk router.

w9970.jpg

Quite happy with TP-Link. Tons of settings, firewall, bandwidth control and much more. One hundred times more settings and performance that the talk-talk one.