cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Can't Connect to Remote Desktop (Faster Fibre with DSL-3782)

ANSWERED
15 REPLIES 15
kholland
Popular Poster

We've been experiencing major issues with connecting to my partners remote desktop, which she needs to do to work from home. Spoke for ages to the technical team and after trying to sell me a WiFi Hub for £30 they eventually sent me a replacement router because the firmware wouldn't update. They replaced a DSL-3782 with another DSL-3782 and we're experiencing the same issues.

Is there another answer to this (I've seen other routers suggested on here), or am I just going to have to buy the WiFi Hub?

I'm a little concerned that the problem will just be the same with the Hub and this is a problem with TalkTalk as a whole.

Thanks,

Kiefer

Divsec
Community Star
Hi Kiefer, welcome to the community. I've flagged your post for assistance and you will hear during tomorrow. Don't be concerned the oce team can help you with this, put your wallet back in your pocket.
In the meantime please check your community profile and add your landline phone number if necessary, it is used to identify your account.
Regards Divsec, I don't work here, know little, and have too many opinions.
Community Team

Hi Kiefer

Apologies for this.

I can send a replacement HG633 router, would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

kholland
Popular Poster

Yes please, that would be great!

Thanks, 

Kiefer 

kholland
Popular Poster
Thank you for your help!
Community Team

Hi Kiefer

The HG633 router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

kholland
Popular Poster

Hello Debbie,

Thank you for sending that, it arrived today.

Unfortunately my partner is still can't connect to her remote desktop.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Kiefer

Community Team

Hi Kiefer

Just to confirm, which router did you receive? (make and model)

Thanks

Debbie

kholland
Popular Poster

Hey Debbie,

We received the Huawei HG633.

Kiefer

Community Team

Hi Kiefer

The HG633 should work fine with VPN. Please can you try factory resetting the router using the pin hole reset for ten seconds and then retesting?

Thanks

Debbie

kholland
Popular Poster

Hello Debbie,

Unfortunately that still hasn't worked. My partner contacted her IT team to see if they'd ever come across this before, and its new to them. The only possibility they could think was its the problem TalkTalk routers have with VPN, but if the HG633 has no problem with that I'm at a bit of a loss.

Kiefer

Anonymous
Not applicable
Solution

VPN works fine with the HG633, the problem probably is the remote desk top application. TalkTalk by default block remote access applications such as Teamviewer etc. via their "Scam Protection".

Having scam protection turned off will hopefully clear your problem. OCE can probably do this for you.

A very quick workaround to try this is to change the DNS servers in your router to anything other then the TT's DNS servers.

Community Team

Hi Kiefer,

Have you tried umanu2's suggestion, could be worth a try

Chris

kholland
Popular Poster

Hey,

Thank you for your suggestion. That's worked a charm! Changed the DNS to Google's and its solved the problem.

Kiefer

kholland
Popular Poster

Hey Chris,

Yes, the suggestion worked perfectly, thank you.

One slight concern I have is that we've noted the HG633's performance overall isn't great. The router isn't in the living room where most of our wifi devices are working, which may be the problem. Although, that said, it isnt that far away. But it seems like a less reliable connection than we had with the DSL-3782. We've been thinking about doing the upgrade to the Wifi Hub, as this appears to boast a better connection. I just wanted to check that, if we do get the Wifi Hub, we won't have the same problem we had with the DSL-3782 with the remote desktop access?

Kiefer

Community Team

Hi Kiefer

The WiFi Hub should work ok with VPN.

Thanks

Debbie