cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Can't connect to Remote desktop (Fibre with new wifi hub)

8 REPLIES 8
Koko2
Chatterbox

Hi everyone,

I just got my new talktalk fibre broadband service with new wifi hub. The problem is that I can't connect to my remote computer through Remote Desktop (RDT). The RDT was working 3 days ago with my previous broadband provider. I've already turned off scam protection in Talktalk Myaccount. Some body said that I need to set up the required port forwarding on the router & allow it through the PC's firewal as welll. Can anyone tell me how to set up the port forwarding?

Thanks,

Koko

KeithFrench
Community Star

Yes, you will need to set up port forwarding, if you would like my help, then please let me know 

what TCP or UDP ports do you want to forward?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Koko2
Chatterbox

Hi Keith,

Thank you very much for your reply.

My problem is that I can't use my laptop at home to connect to my work desktop in my company. However, I can connect to the work desktop using the same laptop at my neighbour house (different broadband supplier). Do you think I need to set up port forwarding  with my home router (wifi hub) in this case?

Koko

KeithFrench
Community Star

Port Forwarding is not relevant if you cannot connect to your work desktop from wherever else you are. That only applies if you were trying to RDP into a PC at home, not at work. Does the VPN connect over your neighbours broadband OK? If this works over your neighbours broadband (unless they are using TalkTalk as well) then this is not a TalkTalk issue. 

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

Koko2
Chatterbox

Hi Keith,

That's my confusing  here. The RDP (to my work desktop) was working  with my previous broadband supplier. It does not work since switching to Talktalk 4 days ago. The same home laptop, the same remote desktop, all settings are the same. Why isn't Talktalk issue, and how to fix it?

Many thanks.

Koko

KeithFrench
Community Star

Sorry, I read your last post around the wrong way.

Before you can RDP into your work desktop from home, you will need to VPN OK into your work from there, can you do this? If not, what VPN client are you using on your laptop?

Keith

Koko2
Chatterbox

Hi Keith,

The laptop is provided and set by my company IT. I don't know how to check if VPN OK into my work from home, and where to find the VPN client. 

I can RDP to my work from my neighbour house. Does it mean the VPN is okay?

Thanks,

Koko

KeithFrench
Community Star

Before you can RDP into your work, you need to be connected to their IP network, you do that by establishing a VPN connection to your work from a VPN client on your PC. Some people do have issues doing this over TalkTalk, but that is down to a router that blocks VPN traffic. The WiFi hub does not block this, but some clients require configuration changes in thw hub.

To get to the bottom of this please speak to your IT department at work & find out about your VPN connection.

Keith

Koko2
Chatterbox

Hi Keith,

Okay, I will talk to my company IT about this issue.

Many thanks for all your help.

Koko