Can't reserve IP addresses

12 REPLIES 12
jonathanmusto
Chatterbox

Serial Number N7182464N006388

Hardware Version FAST5364 3.00

Software Version SG4K10002600t

GUI Version 3.7.5

I've managed to add some from the device page itself.  But, if I try to change, or add any new ones under the DHCP tab, I just get 'Invalid IP in Range' and I can't change the start or end of the pool.

KeithFrench
Community Star

Please can you provide a screenshot of the addresses that you are trying to reserve? There are no known bugs with this at all.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

jonathanmusto
Chatterbox

Nevermind, I think I figured out with some trail and error. It seems that;

1. You can't assign MAC addresses to IP's outside of the Pool Start / End

2. You can't assign MAC addresses to IP's already in use. Even if the IP is already in use by the device you wan't to add (it seems you have to do that from the device page itself).

3. If you add a device from the device page, then go back to the DHCP page and try to add another device manually, it will throw the error on the device you previously added from the device page; effectively stopping you adding any new ones manually.

It seems very buggy to me. I'm used to using pihole, which has no such issues.

Either way, I think I can just about get everything I need added now, since they all currently have the IP's I want, so I can add them all from the devices page.

KeithFrench
Community Star

The whole point of DHCP Reserved addresses is that they reserve an address within its address range, not one outside of that.

Of course you can't reserve address that is already in use elsewhere.

There are no bugs in this, you are probably doing it wrong. However, as you won't give me screenshots of what you are doing, I cannot see what you are doing wrong, or if there should be a bug in it, I have no way of trying to replicate it.

TT have fully tested this feature with 30 devices without any problems.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

jonathanmusto
Chatterbox

Ok, I found to problem, it seems you can't set a Pool Start < .64, despite the page telling you it set the value just fine. All the IP's I want to reserve are in the .10 -> .64 range, which is why i'm having a problem. To reproduce:

1. I set IPv4 Pool Start to 192.168.0.10.

2. Hit apply.

3. See green 'Data successfully changed' message at the top of the screen.

4. Hit 'Add Reserved Address'

5. Select a device that already has an IP I want to reserve < .64.

6. Hit 'Apply'

7. See 'Invalid IP in Range' error. (screenshot attached)

8. Move away from DHCP tab.

9. Move back to DHCP tab, IPv4 Start has reset back to 192.168.0.10, despite confirmation message from 3.

Yes, very thorough testing by TT.

1. pihole allows me to reserve IP addresses outside of the DCHP range.

2. pihole allows me to reserve IP addresses already in use by other devices (granted the reservation will fail until the previous lease expires, but it allows me to do it).

jonathanmusto
Chatterbox

"The whole point of DHCP Reserved addresses is that they reserve an address within its address range, not one outside of that."

So why does it allow me to do it from the device page?

Yes, very thorough testing again TT.

jonathanmusto
Chatterbox

I was using pihole on my Rasberry Pi to handle my DCHP/DNS, but the SD card corrupted, so I was hoping to use this a temporary solution.

I've now added pihole (+ dhcphelper to relay DCHP from the host) to my local docker swarm, so it's no longer need. But, it would still be good to set this up as backup though.

jonathanmusto
Chatterbox

At least you have some Known Bugs now.

KeithFrench
Community Star

So you want it to be .64, but is currently .18?

It looks like .18 is already reserved, click the X at the end of the line & try again. You need to release a reservation before you can apply a new one. It will never take up the new address until the device is disconnected & reconnected. What sort of device is this?

Keith

KeithFrench
Community Star

I am going to refer you to the OCEs for several reasons:-

1) Your continuing theme in your replies is criticising TalkTalk's testing - what is the point of that when you are replying to a customer?

2) I am way too busy with other customers at the moment, so don't have the time to help you any more.

Keith

jonathanmusto
Chatterbox

It's an Ubuntu server. It currently already has .18 assigned and I'm trying to reserve .18 for it going forward. It's not because it's already assigned, if I attempt to do exactly the same thing with a device that is already over .64, it allows me to do it. 

The problem is that despite saying 'Data successfully changed' when you lower the Pool Start to.10, it doesn't actually save. - BUG. In fact, you can set it to anything below .64, not even .63.

Thus, it's not possible to reserve any address below .64 ON THIS PAGE because it will always be out of range. BUT, if you go the the page of the DEVICE that already has an IP < .64 then hit 'Reserve IP', it adds it just fine, even thoug it's out of range.- BUG

So either it is possible to add IP's outside of the range, or it's not, make up your mind TT.

jonathanmusto
Chatterbox

Well I fear for your other 'customers' when your opening approach is "you are probably doing it wrong".

As stated, I no longer require any help as i'm already using another system to support my DHCP needs. Hopefully I have provided all the information TT require to research the bugs, please feel free to contact me if further info is required.

Community Team

Hi,

We believe that this should be resolved in the next firmware version which will be going into testing soon.

Thanks