Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Cant get super fast fibre in my area

29 REPLIES 29
LeeJB1975
Conversation Starter

Hi all, today i tried to upgrade my package which is faster fibre, but i was told i cant get super fast fibre in my area yet, ive been with talktalk for around 18 months and i still cant get super fast in my area, my faster fibre is too slow for my needs and my contract runs out in October 2019, i would like to stay with talktalk as i love there prices, but i need something faster.

Any ideas on what to do would be appreciated.

Lee

elgringo
Wizz Kid
ferguson
Community Star

What numbers do you get from the BT checker here?

LeeJB1975
Conversation Starter

Ive taken my number out, thats what it said after i submitted my landline number.

Screenshot_20190808-214644.png

LeeJB1975
Conversation Starter

Its not a new number either, ive had that number since i joined around 18 month ago.

ferguson
Community Star

Sorry, I should have said, as you haven't got a BT number you should use the Address Checker option.

LeeJB1975
Conversation Starter

I used the postcode checker.

Screenshot_20190808-214325.png

ferguson
Community Star

Try the address checker.

LeeJB1975
Conversation Starter

Address checker results.

Screenshot 2019-08-08 at 22.16.48.png

ferguson
Community Star

There you go. What speeds are you getting now?

LeeJB1975
Conversation Starter

Ive never checked, it is slow though, i have tried getting some new filters as there suppose to be changed every 6 months, but every agent i talk too wont give me any new ones, have seen cheap ones on ebay but they probably would make my router speed worse being a cheap filter.

ferguson
Community Star

OK, but if it's "slow" there may be many issues around that, including wireless performance and so on. And I have taken the liberty to edit your previous post which included your full address.

LeeJB1975
Conversation Starter

Thank you, im tired i didnt think to edit the address, appreciated.

Do you know of any good filters to buy and try? It is worth a try to see if it helps in any way.

martswain
Philosopher

No ISP that uses the OpenReach network of FTTC will sell you anything apart from the lower speed packages.

The handback thresholds are well below 40 so you are obviously too far from the cabinet to get the boost.

You have been misinformed about the life of a filter, they last for decades not months !

If you are still using a plug-in filter, then changing to a filtered faceplate with separate broadband and phone sockets may give you a very small increase.

Removing any unused extension wiring may help too.

However, looking at the results of the address checker, unless you have a fault on your line, what you have is the best you can get.

Martin
Community Team

Hi Lee,

Just to confirm, would you like us to look into your current speed for you?

Thanks

LeeJB1975
Conversation Starter

No thanks, my broadband was ok when i 1st got it, now its alot slower and it buffers when i watch a film now, after reading stuff provided i dont think im gonna get super fast fibre in my area, which is what i want really, so might my best bet is too switch really as i dont have long left on my current contract, it runs out early October 2019.

LeeJB1975
Conversation Starter

I also think its wrong that i have to make do with a slow fibre all because i cant get super fast fibre in my area but yet theres thousands of talk talk customers that can and are enjoying your offers, end of the day we all should have the right to enjoy what a broadband provider is offering, angers me it does.

If i want the super fast fibre then i should be entitled to the super fast fibre just like thousands of other super fast talk talk customers.

ferguson
Community Star

Sadly, as Mr Scott in Star Trek remarked more than once, you cannot change the laws of physics. With a compromised hybrid network where the last part of the connection remains copper then performance will quickly drop off over distance. It will not come as any comfort to you I know, but there are many people who will not even have the speeds you have. 

If I was in your position I would take advantage of the offer from the TalkTalk support team to see if there are any improvements to be made, what have you got to lose?

LeeJB1975
Conversation Starter

I said no too the offer cos im not there, i mean if you can check the speed and other stuff without me there then id like to agree to the kind offer.

ferguson
Community Star

Well I am sure that the team can do some remote testing, is there anybody there who can make any adjustments should the need arise?

And do bear in mind that they won’t be back online until Monday, so I hope you have a good weekend in the meantime!  🙂