cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Want to know how to get the most out of our community?

Hey, I'm Michelle and I wanted to tell you about our community and how it's packed full of useful information, answers and has a horde of active members waiting to help or just to say hey! We know forums can be a little daunting at times, so here are some of my useful tips to help you get the most out of the community:

Get Searching

Search is the quickest way to locate the information you're after, use the big red box above. If you don't find what you're after you can always post your own question.

Search now

Get stuck in

Prefer to jump straight into the community? Checkout the yellow "browse" tab over on the left hand side, here you'll find the entire community at your fingertips.

Try now

Join the party!

Had a peek around the community already? If so you'll no doubt want to join us, just hit register below and follow the instructions. Don't worry I'll still be here to help once you've registered.

Register now

Change of router and loss of speed.

ANSWERED
5 REPLIES
Highlighted
torry3947
Wise Owl

I previously was supplied with the HG633, which I thought was rubbish. After a direct complaint, by letter, to the CEO  of this wonderful establishment, who did not have the good manners to reply to, about their dire service and lack of interest in their loyal customers. After a lot of telephone conversations with the technical department I was eventually supplied with a D-Link 3782 router. I duly installed it and it showed a small increase in speed of 19.5. This I was pleased with due to area and distance from the exchange (0.8 miles). However since then my speed has dropped to 18.5 and lower at times. I had a powerline adaptor connected to my laptop which I removed as an experiment to see if there was a drop in speed by just using wifi. My speed dropped from 19.5 to 9.1 and varied thereafter. I reinstated the powerline adaptor and the speed rose back to between 18.6 and 19.1. The router is plugged into the brand new fibre master socket installed by an Openreach engineer recently. I was under the mistaken impression that this would solve everything, but oh no.  Previously my router was plugged into a telephone extension wall socket, which I was under the impression was the master socket, and stood on top of a tall furniture unit and gave a good signal throughout the house, a small bungalow. Since the new fibre socket was installed I can only place it on top of a small side table beside the living room door and this I think is the problem. The height of the table and the lenght of the wires of the router and the power supply restrict shifting the router, this positioning is directly beside the large living room window. My question, this time, is how can I solve this conundrum. There is obviously a loss of wifi signal to the laptop as it is in the conservatory which is at the rear of the house. My desktop which is in the loft receives the wifi signal and get speeds in the region of 19.5 no problem and does not require powerline adaptors.Would it be better to get a wifi extender to the laptop and would this fix the problem? What I cannot understand is that by using the adaptor my ethernet and wifi speed are both the same, but if I remove the adaptor wifi speed drops dramatically. Perhaps some of you kind members can solve this for a puzzled pensioner. All and any advice would be appreciated. Than you. This a rather long screed but, as it is said, the devil is in the detail!!

Andy MacPherson. Aged 80. Interests are varied.
Community Team

Hi torry3947,

Just to confirm, are you saying that when you connect the powerline adapters the WiFi speeds improve? Are they TalkTalk powerline adapters? 

Chris

torry3947
Wise Owl

Hi, Chris, Yes speed drops to as low as 0.5 if I disconnect the ethernet cable With the cable attached speed increases to a high of 18.4. The power adaptors are TP-Link passthrough which I purchased a while back. I have Talktalk adaptors but prefer the TP -Link. There are no brick walls between the router and the laptop, the walls are plasterboard. There is a distance of 12 yards between the router and the laptop. This only happened when I changed routers. I am using the D-Link 3782 at present but I can change over to the Huwaei 633 to see if that makes any difference. With the Huwaei there was no problem with the wifi. I will change back to the Huwaei tomorrow and see if that cures the problem. Will come back tomorrow and report. Thanks, Andy. .

torry3947
Wise Owl

Hi, Chris, A further uodate, changed routers this morning. Neither the Huwaei633 nor the D-Link 3782 can increase the speed. Due the placement of the master socket, beside the livingroom door, I am unable to play about with the height of the router. The router can only be placed on a 3 feet high side table and I think that this is the problem. It is next to the long high backed 3 seater settee.and this may be blocking the wireless signal. After changing routers and changing back again I can only get speeds of 10.6. This was using the Talktalk speed tester and OOKLA and by wifi and ethernet.. I have tried other speed testers and due to the low speeds shown I am advised to .go for fibre broadband to go faster. I am toying with the idea of reverting to my original placement of the router which was on top of a 7 foot living room unit. This, unfortunately, only allows me to use a telephone extension socket but gives me a greater height for the router and perhaps a better signal. I wait on your advice as to whether to go ahead with this experiment, is it worth the bother? Futher  to router placement I can only use the TP-Link adaptors as they are passthrough as there is only a single wall socket available and I do not want use a fourway extension. Will wait on your input, Andy..

Community Team

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the information. If the settee has wire springs I think it could certainly be interfering with the wireless signal. I think it's worth trying the other location for the router to see if there's any improvement 

Chris

torry3947
Wise Owl
Solution

Hi, Chris, I have raised the router on a slightly higher side table and this seems to have done the trick. Speeds are satisfactory 19.5 by ethernet and 17.1 by wifi. Tried the second choice but could not get broadband from the telephone extension for some unknown reason and the internet would not function. Am content with what speeds I am getting now, this seems to be the maximum in my area. I am not going to pursue this further. Can you close this post for me. Kudos to all the OCEs and others who have responded. What would we do without the forum. You are all magnificent. Kudos to all. Thank you, Andy.