cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Computer getting download speed of only 8mbps

7 REPLIES 7
First Timer

I have new fibre broadband, new modem, advertised speed 80mbps. My phone records 70mbps. My laptop gets only 8mbps download, 14.6 upload, even when plugged into modem. My computer is new, windows. Have run spyware checks, nothing. I don’t use the laptop for anything other than work, all of which is in the cloud. 

Can anyone help please? I’m struggling to get work done

First Timer
Anyone?
Community Star

Staff will be back on in the morning,  @Tmccaffrey123.

They take a couple of days at the start of the week to catch up with queries from the weekend. 

It's not unusual for it to take a day or two to get a reply. 

They work from oldest to newest posts, so it's best not to post again before you get a response. 

Gliwmaeden2
Please click "like" if this helped you!
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Tmccaffrey123,

I'm sorry for the delay. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault and the connection stats look ok. If the speeds are ok on the phone then it sounds like it could be related to the laptop.

@KeithFrench - Would you be able to offer any advice?

Thanks

Community Star

Hi @Tmccaffrey123 

@OCE_Michelle has asked me to help you. In your opening post you said about the laptop:-

"My laptop gets only 8mbps download, 14.6 upload, even when plugged into modem. "

Please can you confirm if this is an Ethernet connection as I assume from your post, or is it a wireless connection? What is the make/model of router that you have?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

First Timer

Hello Keith, thank you for your reply. I’m sorry I’ve been away.

Yes the slow speeds are both with wireless and using an Ethernet cable. The router is a new talktalk wifi hub which I bought from talktalk a couple of months ago when I upgraded my broadband.

Best wishes, Trish

Community Star

If it was just wireless then I probably could have sorted it for you but as Ethernet connections are affected as well, then all I can do I'm afraid is pass this back to the OCEs for you.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Community Team - TT Staff

Hi

All tests are clear and router is in sync at 79mb.

I'm showing throughput at the router is 78mb. There are currently 3 devices connected over wifi, a desktop and 2 apple devices.

when running the test wired, if this was from the desktop, did you turn off wifi to make sure it was using the ethernet connection.

Can you run a fresh wired speed test via https://myaccount.talktalk.co.uk/speed-checker/

Make sure wifi is turned off on the desktop. We can then look at the speed.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE