Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Connected to hub, but no internet connection

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Chatterbox

Hi everyone

I have an intermittent (every few days) probem with my new TalkTalk FAST5364 hub. My laptops, tablets and phones all lose internet connectivity.  Windows 10 shows that connection to the hub is OK but there is no internet connection.  The light on the hub remains steady white and my TV boxes (Roku and NowTV) do not lose their connections - they stream content as normal.  

Based on this evidence, it seems that the hub itself remains connected to the internet.  I  confirmed this by logging into the hub from a browser and can see the connection is OK - but the internet is unavailable to my devices (apart from TV boxes).  The situation can only be cured by restarting the hub.  Easy enough but annoying - and catches out my wife and daughter if it happens while I'm out at work.  

Has anyone else experienced this fault and know a way of avoiding it?

Hub firmware version is SG4K10002810t.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Andrew

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi mister_logic

I can see that your router has updated to new firmware. When did you last experience this fault?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Chatterbox

Hello Debbie

Thanks for your reply. I experienced the problem again yesterday evening (Thursday 9th July) some time between 1930 and 2030 (can't remember exactly).  My laptop and phone lost internet but the hub still had steady white light.  I had to reboot the hub to restore internet connectivity.

Andrew

Highlighted

Hi Andrew

Apologies for this.

Would you like me to send a different make and model of router for testing to see how the connection compares?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Chatterbox

Hello Debbie

Yes, please - it would be good to try an alternative router.  Thanks for the offer.  We are disappointed because we only recently upgraded to the new "TalkTalk hub" model (Sagemcom).

Andrew

Highlighted

Hi Andrew

Apologies for this. The replacement router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Chatterbox

Hi again, Debbie

Thanks very much for organizing this.  We will probably need to run the alternative router for a couple of weeks to find out whether the problem recurs - because it can be very occasional.  However, it has certainly happened a couple of times during the last week.

I will certainly report back ASAP.

Andrew

Highlighted

Hi Andrew

There's no rush, please take as long as needed to monitor the connection with the replacement router.

Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Chatterbox

Hi Debbie & colleagues

I received the replacement router (the Huawei "black" model) on Saturday and installed it yesterday.  Thanks for sending it so promptly.

It is working perfectly so far, therefore I simply need to monitor it for a week or so to see whether any devices come up with the "no internet" problem.  What is the plan of action?  Do I need to return one of the routers at some point (returns bag & label were included).

On a slightly different topic – when replacing the router, I powered off my existing (Sagemcom) unit and left everything off for around 45 minutes before starting up the new unit.  I can now see an obvious increase in download speed (from around 20 Mbps with the Sagemcom hub to around 25 Mbps with the Huawei unit).  Upload speed remains the same as before at just below 4 Mbps.  These speeds are not especially fast but the improved download speed is welcome.  I wonder if it's down to the change of router or the "reset" caused by powering down.

I have come to accept the rather mediocre connection speeds at this property because I think it's down to distance from the exchange (or cabinet, perhaps) but would value your opinion on whether everything is OK.

Kind regards,

Andrew

Highlighted

Hi Andrew

Thanks for your reply. If the connection continues to remain stable with the replacement router then please keep this one and return the old router using the returns bag (again no rush to return this whilst you are monitoring the connection)

I've checked the connection stats and your line is in sync at 26.8mb and upload speed 4.3mb. DLM may increase the speed further if the connection continues to remain stable.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Chatterbox

Hello Debbie & colleagues

Just to update you, the new hub (Huawei) has been running for the last 8 or 9 days and no devices have been disconnected or shown "no internet available".  I'm also pleased with the speed increase that the new hub has produced (though I don't know why it has achieved such an improvement over the Sagemcom unit).

In conclusion, I think the new hub has solved the problem so I will now return the Sagemcom unit.

Thanks for all your help.

Andrew

Highlighted

Hi Andrew

That's great, thanks for keeping us updated 🙂

Debbie