Need help?

Connecting another router

ANSWERED
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
gkzsolt
First Timer

Hi,

I got a Linksys router what I'd like to use instead of the TalkTalk modem-router. My question is how to connect it to the fibre optic equipment. As it is not a modem, I suppose I have to connect it's Internet RJ45 to one of the TalkTalk router LAN ports, then configure both devices appropriately, to take the router services (NAT, DHCP, Wi-Fi) from the first device to the other. Is that correct? 

I've not done such a configuration before so I don't know too much about the router's modes. I heard of bridge mode, but it sounds different: to allow 2 routers to share one Wi-Fi network. But I don't need Wi-Fi from the first router. I'd like to use it only as a modem. Is this possible?

The TalkTalk router: D-Link DSL-3782

The other router: Linksys WRT3200ACM

Thank you,

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi

If you turn off / disable the wifi in the Dlink router and just connect the 2nd router as you descripe, no further configuration should be required.  I've done something similar with a TP link, but as I use the wifi on both routers, I changed the Ip range of the second router to 192.168.10.1 so there would be no ip conflicts.

Thanks

Karl. 

Highlighted
gkzsolt
First Timer
Solution

Thank you. I disabled not only the Wifi, but also DHCP on the router/modem, because I didn't want a LAN in the LAN (2 networks, one inside the other), with both routers doing NAT. This is usually not a good idea, even if it works most of the time. At best it gives you latency, at worst connection problems, so it is not recommended. 

I put the modem-router in bridge mode, as suggested in this post by @charlesb224 . This way (disabled the DHCP server first) the DLink acts only as a modem, and the router connected to it gets the (external) IP address from the ISP. And can be used as the only router.

Cheers,

Zsolt

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi

Thanks for posting the info, this may help others looking for a solution.

Regards,

Karl.