Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Connection Cuts Out When it Rains

8 REPLIES 8
gazh1983
Participant

As per title really. Every time there's something approaching a heavy downpour, my connection outs for between 1-5 minutes.

It's got appreciably worse the last year, there's obviously a degradation somewhere. From what I can gather it's actually water somewhere on the cable so to speak. There's a roadside exchange they're constantly tinkering with about 50m from my home.

Anyway, aside from this I'm happy with my service.

Thanks in advance and hope to get a solution. 

KeithFrench
Community Star

Due to the rain, this has to be a line fault. I have asked one of TalkTalk's OCEs to pick your thread up and investigate it for you.

The forum is not real-time 24/7 support, so depending on how busy they are & how many are working at any one time, this can take 24 - 48 hrs (excluding weekends & limited cover on Bank Holidays). Alternatively, you can call the call centre or use online chat. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. So the fewer entries you make on your thread now, the sooner they will pick it up.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Community Team

Hi gazh1983

I'm really sorry to hear this.

Can I just check if you are experiencing any noise on the line when making calls?

Thanks

Debbie

gazh1983
Participant

Hi @OCE_Debbie,

TBH I never use the landline so I don't know. I do know though that after I posted this message the connection was terrible as long as we had downpours here in sunny South Wales...

What can I do about this please? 

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi gazh1983,

Could I just confirm, do you have a phone connected to the line? If you do then could you test the voice service the next time it rains to see if their is any noise on the line please? Is it raining at the moment?

Thanks

gazh1983
Participant

@OCE_Michelle 

Yes I do have a landline connected. I actually checked this when it was really bad on Sunday and the line appeared to be silent...

Community Team

Hi

All line tests are clear at the moment, with no issues identified.

Can you make a note of the date / time when this next occurs and we can look at the network logs at that time for any high error counts or drops so we can log this out for you.

Thanks

Karl. 

gazh1983
Participant

lol, the fob off is in full effect here.

I've already informed you when the issue was. There may not be status disruption at the moment as it's not currently raining heavily. I presume you are able to look up retrospective records?

*Sigh* For future reference for anybody with the same issue who lands here via google - you've seen above that this forum is not the way to address it. 

Community Team

Hi gazh1983

As the line tests are not detecting any faults then we would need to confirm as much information as possible so we can raise this fault.

Is it raining at the moment and is the connection dropping? Have you tested with an alternative router at the test socket? I can then pass this fault over to our Network Team for investigation.

Thanks

Debbie