would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Connection dropping

21 REPLIES 21
Highlighted
jamch
Popular Poster

Hello.. have been a very happy customer for the past 11 months but over the last 2-3 days my FTTC connection has been dropping regularly (several times throughout the day) and taking up to 10-30 minutes to come back.

So far I've tried the following all with no positive resolution, the issue still remains -
• Rebooted everything several times
• Moved from an openreach modem back to the WiFi hub
• Set everything back to factory defaults
Ive listened to the line using a DECT phone (I don't usually have a landline phone plugged in, or use it for calls) and it appears that there is an intermittent scratching noise. I will acquire a wired phone over the weekend to see if its there or caused by the wireless phone.

Is there anyway for someone to have a look to see if there's anything obviously wrong. Like I said - pretty much zero issues with the service (it's been rock solid) until Wednesday morning when I woke up without internet.

Highlighted
amasmarfar
First Timer

Exact same thing happened to me, need answers

BUMPP

Ali Ali
Highlighted
jamch
Popular Poster

Just an update on this - My connection is still regulary dropping. It's odd in that at times it appears to be stable for hours and then i'll have a period of time where it's dropping every 10-15 minutes or so.

To rule anything else out i've now tried -

Different filter

Different cable from filter to openreach modem

Different router (which was worse then the openreach modem and dropped more regualrly)

Plugged directly into the test socket

Wired landline (I can't hear any noise now though)

Over the past 48 hours or so I can see about 24 times where it lost connection, ranging from a few seconds to a few minutes each time. It's been particular bad tonight which has made me do some further digging.

Using the openreach moem I can see the line SNR stats and been monitoring for the past couple of hours (what a way to spend an Sunday evening 🙂)snrstats13102019.PNG

Basicaly every drop in the downstream SNR margin under 6 represents a sync loss and loss of service.

I must admit that although I work in IT, networks isn't my perticular bag, so I don't know if this helps diagnose the issue I'm having. Let me know if anything else I can extract from DSLstats would help.

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi jamch,

I'm sorry to hear this. One of our tests has detected a potential router issue. Would it be possible to remove the router from the line so we can run this test again? (between 8am and 2pm)

Thanks

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi amasmarfar,

I'm sorry to hear this. Please can you create your own thread and we can look into this further for you.

Thanks

Highlighted
jamch
Popular Poster

@OCE_Michelle Everything removed from the line bar the landline. Is that what you needed?

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi jamch

Thanks for your reply.

Would it be possible to also remove the phone just whilst we run the line test?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
jamch
Popular Poster

@OCE_Debbie Nothing is now connected

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi jamch

Thank you. The line test is still detecting a possible fault.

Is the face plate connected at the moment or has the face plate been removed?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
jamch
Popular Poster

@OCE_DebbieFaceplate was connected - I've removed it now so it's exposed the test socket.

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi jamch

Thank you. I'm just completing some further testing now and I will post back on this thread shortly.

Debbie

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi jamch

I have passed this fault over to Openreach to be investigated by an Openreach line engineer.

We should receive further updates within the next 48hrs.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
jamch
Popular Poster
Thanks for the assistance
Highlighted
Community Team

Hi jamch

No problem. If you post back on this thread on Wednesday then we can check for further updates from Openreach.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
jamch
Popular Poster

Bumping for an update.

Just to update also - internet service has completely deteriorated over the past 24 hours - woke up this morning and I've now got a almost constant loud crackling noise on the phone line. Internet wise - it's now completely unusable as if it gets a connection its really slow and holds for about 5 minutes before it drops again.

You can hear the noise on the line with just the phone plugged into the test socket also with everything else switched off.

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi jamch

I have requested an update on this fault and I will post back on this thread as soon as I receive further information.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi jamch

The next step will be to arrange an engineer visit to the property.

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can arrange this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi jamch

Thanks for the Private Message.

I have provisionally booked the engineer visit for Friday 18/10 PM (1pm - 6pm)

I will post back to confirm once Openreach have confirmed this visit.

Will this date and time be ok?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
jamch
Popular Poster

Yes fine thanks

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi jamch

Thanks for your reply.

The engineer visit has been confirmed for 18/10/2019 PM (1pm - 6pm)

Please let us know how you get on following this visit.

Thanks

Debbie