cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Connection well below guaranteed speed (and Wi-Fi Hub Firmware)

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi OrangeBucket,

Ok thanks for keeping us updated and please let us know how the stability and speed compares over the next few days 🙂

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Just an update, two days in. As far as I can see the connection has been stable, but then it was before (just a bit slow). I deliberately switched the router off for twenty minutes this morning so I could satisfy my curiosity as to what it would come back up like. It has come back at 30/5.5 which is a smidgen slower on the download but then it does have a smidgen higher noise margin too. Probably too insignificant a difference to have even been worth commenting on.

I'll admit to being a tad disappointed at the loss of upload speed post reset, but generally the increase in download speed is welcome, albeit perhaps not what I was really hoping for, which was the 34-35 I once had and which the OpenReach technician got with his kit.

I am now using the 'WiFi hub' rather than the HG633 that once gave me the 35 Mb/s downloads and I don't know how the broadband performance generally compares between the two. I've no incentive to compare them as although the WiFi hub 2.4GHz signal doesn't seem particularly ballsy, it does actually seem to stay connected to my Windows 10 laptop for more than about a minute at a time, something which was usually beyond the HG633.

So in summary, thus far I am back to gettting the download speed I was guaranteed but I feel a bit 'meh' about it.

More than happy with the OCE response though. Arguably TalkTalk's greatest strength.

Highlighted

Hi OrangeBucket,

Thanks for keeping us updated. Sync speed can vary slightly between 2 different routers, however it's possible that DLM may still increase the speed again.

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Well DLM does have some work to do as the speed has dropped to 27.4 at the moment.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

And now 25/5.5 with an apparent disconnect about two in the morning. Let's hope it recovers.

Highlighted

Hi OrangeBucket,

I'm sorry to hear this and I'll take a look now. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault, however I can see that the sync speed has dropped. Is the line still clear of any noise at the moment?

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Sounds clear to me, and I tried it with a analogue phone just to make sure.

It is not unknown for the line to not take kindly to wet weather and it was a bit moist Saturday night through into Sunday though not significantly so in the previous day or so when the speed also dropped.

The uptime would suggest the DSL restarted around about 2am on Sunday morning which is not my doing. However the 218 pages of logs on the router only go up to 28th February so I can't see if anything has been going on.

Highlighted

Hi OrangeBucket,

Thanks for letting me know. Would you like me to pass this drop in speed back over to our Network Team for further investigation?

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

@OCE_Michelle wrote:

Hi OrangeBucket,

Thanks for letting me know. Would you like me to pass this drop in speed back over to our Network Team for further investigation?

Thanks

I'll say yes as it is so difficult to see what is going on from my end. The upload speed is back up to 6.8, as it was before the reset, but the download remains rather disappointing.

The logging on the WiFi hub is really odd as it shows entries for the 28th February first and then I have to scroll through to get to the 12th March. However I can see the line was dropped about midnight last night (not me) and when it came up again there was an immediate ACS closure which may have been pure coincidence.
Highlighted

Hi OrangeBucket,

Ok, I've passed this back over to our Network Team now. If you don't hear back by the end of today then please can you bump your thread and we can re-check for an update for you.

Thanks

Highlighted

Hi OrangeBucket,

I've received an update from our Network Team to advise that we will need to arrange another engineer visit. We just need you to accept potential TRC (Time Related Charges) and provide further availability and we can arrange this for you. If you don't want to provide the availability on the Community then please send this to me via a Personal Message (PM)

Thanks

Highlighted

Hi OrangeBucket,

I've included a Help Article below. Please let us know if you happy to proceed with the engineer visit and we can arrange this for you.

Engineer charges

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

@OCE_Michelle wrote:

Hi OrangeBucket,

I've included a Help Article below. Please let us know if you happy to proceed with the engineer visit and we can arrange this for you.

Engineer charges

Thanks

Oh I just hadn't come across the expression 'time related charges' before, except in the context of a punch up between TalkTalk and BT a few years back and was wondering if they were something different. I shouldn't have anything to fear from engineer charges with a brand new TalkTalk hub and a recently installed OpenReach master socket and prefilter and a single phone. I've even removed my Powerline adapters as an extra precaution.

So please go ahead.

Highlighted

Hi OrangeBucket

Thanks for your reply.

I've passed your availability over to our Network Team and I will post back on this thread to confirm the date and time of this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted

Hi OrangeBucket

The engineer visit has been arranged for 15/03/2019 AM (8am - 1pm)

Please let us know how you get on following this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Thanks, will do. If nothing else it has prompted me to do a bit of reorganising.

G.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Just to note that my line was restarted at about 3:20am this morning and is currently synced at 29.9 down and 7 up with a 3-4db drop in noise margin.

I've no idea of the implications of this with regard to the scheduled engineer's visit tomorrow as I don't know if any other fault diagnosis has been taking place.

Highlighted

Hi OrangeBucket,

Ok thanks for the update and please let us know how the connection compares.

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Well the OpenReach bod has been and gone. I was rather hoping that someone in the TalkTalk network team had identified a specific issue and/or that someone at OpenReach had already done some investigation and found something, as with the line having been syncing at 29.9/6.8  for the last 32 hours all I could really do was shrug and give a history.

He did say he'd checked it earlier and it was synced at 20 but I've no idea when that might have been as I've not noticed it. Anyway he did a few tests, including using my own broadband cable this time, and everything seemed OK. He was getting about 37.4 on his kit and he agreed with the other bod's assertion that usually the domestic routers would sync faster than that.

Curiously when the router was reconnected it was syncing at 35.1/6.8, with 35.1 being both the maximum and actual download speed. Previously it has been showing a maximum speed around 37.7 but with the actual speed much lower.

Just a matter of wait and see, I guess.

Highlighted

Hi OrangeBucket,

Ok thanks for keeping us updated and please let us know how the connection and speed compares over the weekend.

Thanks