would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Constant disconnections since fault on landline and fibre

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
RaymonT
Popular Poster

I Joined TalkTalk on 16th May 2019 Faster Fibre and I was getting a very steady connection 40mb download and 10mb upload speeds which I was very happy with.

Due to ongoing medical issues I have had to work from home much more and as I have to download large files, I thought as it was an option, I would add a speed increase to my account as it was not much more in cost.

So, I changed my account to Faster Fibre with Speed Boost on the 31st October 2019 and I was getting a steady connection of 79mb download speed and 20mb upload speed and a ping of 9ms.

The speeds above are more than what I was told to expect but as my property is very close to the street cabinet this quite normal. (930 meters roughly)

On 13th of November my telephone landline and fibre Connection went out completely and I reported the fault and the TalkTalk Service Centre Manager booked an Openreach engineer to come to my property for the follow day, Thursday 14th of November between 8:00am and 13:00pm.

I waited in but no engineer turned up so I called TalkTalk only to be told the wrong type of Openreach engineer had been booked so new test’s had to be run and a new booking made and after nearly 2 hours on the telephone I was put through to another manager, who again booked another Openreach engineer to come out the next day, Friday 15th of November.

The engineer arrived and determined that there was a fault in the street cabinet and he went away and supposedly fixed it (A wire had come lose in the cabinet) when he did a speed test on the line it had dropped to 67mb download speed and 20mb of upload speed and a ping of 19ms and when I told him that I was getting 79mb download speed before he said he could reset the line but this might cause a few issues at that moment with me having to have my medical equipment hooked up to my landline and fibre connection so basically said if the speed did not improve in a couple of days to switch the router off for 30 minutes so it could reset the line again.

To be honest I did not do anything to the router, until Monday evening of the 18th November, when the fibre connection started to randomly disconnect and reconnect but giving me random download speeds from 15mb to 72mb it would sometimes stay connected for a couple of hours or just 5 minutes. On Tuesday I decided to leave the router off for the full 30 minutes to see if this sorted the problem but to no avail and I have been getting random disconnections ever since.

I called the TalkTalk technical support line on Wednesday 20th of November to inform them of the issue and he started saying I was on a congested wireless connection, which sounds very strange as all but one of my devices are connected via ethernet. I assume that he meant I am on some sort of congest exchange line, which I also find strange as I have until now, never had any issues, unless the Openreach engineer moved me to another line at the cabinet. Anyway, the TalkTalk gentleman said he would reset the line and this increased my speed to up 67mb for all a couple of hours and then the random disconnections started again.

So I decided to use the online web-chat to see if they could do anything but all they could see after a health check was done on the line from my home to the exchange was run some tests to improve the speed and get a callback today Thursday 21st of November (which never happened) So I had to call the technical support line myself again, the gentleman I spoke to again ran another bunch of test’s and did something but all this has done is given me a reduced speed now to 20mb download speed and 12mb upload speed and a ping of 31ms he also booked another BT Openreach engineer to come out today Friday 22nd of November and while this was steady for a few hours it is not even close to what I was getting before I even upgraded with the Speed Boost and after the loss of service.

So the BT Openreach engineer came out again to check to see what was going on and he reported there was a problem at the cabinet still which he again supposedly fixed and did a DLM reset which pushed the connection back up to 70+MB download and 20MB upload, which stayed stable for a couple of days. Then I got a call from TalkTalk to follow up on the fault on Monday 25th of November, who did another line test which reported that again there was a fault on the line, so another Openreach engineer was requested to investigate for Wednesday 27th of November and I would get a callback from TalkTalk on Friday 29th of November between 8:00am and 10:00am .

Since Monday the 25th of November again the logs on the router show that it disconnecting at random intervals with speeds now dropping as low as 10MB download and 5mb upload. I have left the router alone for the normal 7 days while the DLM finds a steady sync speed but this has done no good, so I did try a power off cycle on the router this morning Friday 29th November which did put it back up again to 70+MB and 20MB but that last for about an hour then since 6:00 am the line has disconnected 11 times in the last few hours again giving me random connection rates.

Just had another follow up call from TalkTalk and once again more test are run and again a fault has been detected and Openreach need another 24 – 72 hours (Minus Saturday and Sunday because apparently they do not work over the weekend) to find and repair the fault as again it seems the problem is outside the house.

I just don’t see what could of fundamentally of changed, the only thing I can think of is there is a problem with the router as before the initial fault happened everything was perfect.

My home setup has not changed since I had TalkTalk Faster Fibre activated and I have a NTE5c master socket with a micro filter with one corded telephone (with no noise on the line that I can tell) then the TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub router (Version SG4K10002600t) no telephone line extensions and I do not reboot the router often, to be honest I think I have manually rebooted it once before the fault happened and switched the router off for 30 minutes when the speed boost was added to my account.

I am really starting to get very frustrated now and how to move forward, even though I’ve been told if the speed issue and disconnects cannot be fixed within 30 calendar days I am free to leave TalkTalk with no penalty I’m not sure this will do any good because I will still be left with the same line no matter which ISP I choose and because of my medical condition I need a stable connection and at this point I would rather go back to my stable 40/10 connection

Highlighted
KeithFrench
Community Star

Hi @RaymonT 

I have asked one of TalkTalk's OCEs to pick your thread up and investigate it for you.

The forum is not real-time 24/7 support, so depending on how busy they are & how many are working at any one time, this can take 24 - 48 hrs (excluding weekends & limited cover on Bank Holidays). Alternatively, you can call the call centre or use online chat. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. So the fewer entries you make on your thread now, the sooner they will pick it up.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi RaymonT

Apologies for this.

This fault was with an Openreach line engineer and the notes now advise that an appointment to the property is required.

I can arrange the engineer visit or I can send a replacement router for testing first to rule out any possible router issues.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
RaymonT
Popular Poster

@OCE_Debbie I have been onto the webchat to arrange an appointment, as I have only just got home but they are telling me that an engineer does not need to attend at my property and the issue will be fixed at the exchange?

I would be grateful if you could send out another router just to be sure that is not the issue as the router has now stopped recording any logs for when the router disconnects and reconnects.

Thanks

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi RaymonT

Thanks for your reply.

The replacement router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
RaymonT
Popular Poster

@OCE_Debbie I received the new router and have installed it with new cables, filters and did a full 30 min power of cycle.

I see from the logs that it did a new firmware update this morning and the router is syncing at

Download: 71.4 mbps

Upload: 18.6 mbps

This is lower than I was getting before the fault but if these speeds hold steady without the constant disconnections then I would be happy.

I was supposed to get a call back yesterday between 8 - 10 am with an update on the fault report but that never happened not sure if this was because the new router was sent out? 

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi RaymonT

Thanks for keeping us updated. If the connection continues to remain stable then DLM should start to increase the speed.

Please can you leave the router switched on without rebooting and post back on this thread in 48hrs, we can then check the connection stats to see if DLM has increased the speed any further.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
RaymonT
Popular Poster

@OCE_Debbie The connection stayed stable for 72 hours without any disconnections however no increase of sync speeds over that time.

So stayed at:

Download: 71.4 mbps

Upload: 18.6 mbps

We did have a power cut for about an hour on Sunday morning and the sync speeds dropped a small amount to:

Download: 70.1 mbps

Upload: 17.6 mbps

Which has stayed stable with no disconnections over the last 24 hours I'll keep an eye on it over the week and see how it goes.

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi RaymonT

Thanks for your reply.

Please can you post back on this thread on Wednesday and we can check the connection stats again.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
RaymonT
Popular Poster

@OCE_Debbie So I've had no disconnections for 3 solid days now and the sync speeds have stayed as they were on Monday.

Download: 70.1 mbps

Upload: 17.6 mbps

I'm not sure if the DLM will increase over time but I guess if it stays at the current sync rate it will be within my guaranteed speeds.

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi RaymonT,

Thanks for the update. The line test is still clear and the connection looks stable so it's possible that DLM may increase the speed at some point. Is everything ok with the overall performance of the connection?

Thanks

Highlighted
RaymonT
Popular Poster

@OCE_Michelle While the speeds are not what I was originally getting when I added the speed boost the current connection is stable which is the most important thing and not disconnecting.

And to be honest anything around the 70mbps downloads and 17mbps upload is enough for my needs and the attached medical equipment, which needs the stable connection.

If anything changes I will come back and report it.

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi RaymonT,

Ok thanks for confirming this and please let us know if you need any assistance 🙂

Thanks