cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Constantly restarting router. Faster fibre to cabinet.

14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Wizz Kid

For some weeks my router has been restarting at least twice a day and sometimes three or more during an hour. Sync speeds can vary between 20.1Mbps and 13Mbps. This plays havoc with watching streamed channels.

All suggested fixes carried out and when I have physically switched the router off the reconnecting speed is around the 20.1Mbps.

i had major problem several months ago when Openreach messed up connections in a box and speeds never been same since.

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi

All usual tests are clear, no line issues showing.

I'll swap out the router so we can rule out a hardware issue.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

STAY HOME      -      PROTECT THE NHS      -      SAVE LIVES

Highlighted
Wizz Kid
Thank you Karl.
Highlighted
First Timer

My Sagemcom Fast 5364 is loosing its settings, I set a port forward for 3389 (remote desktop) and changed my wifi name from the default 'TalkTalk ......' to a custom name. After about a week my port forward setting suddenly vanished!   

Then about a week later my custom name for my wifi access (AP) reset it self back to the default name again.

This all happened after the 5364 had been resetting itself, it would power down and restart, flashing amber light then white, then restart again, flashing amber light then white, then I couldn't connect to it.

I thought it was the line so did a web test through the TalkTalk support page, all was ok, then I realized that my custom names were not showing when I was trying to reconnect to the wifi, and that the default names were now showing again !

Does anybody know why this is happening, do I have a faulty 5364 ?

I don't want this to keep happening as I am away from home a lot and use my remote access to my devices at home. I would not be able to access this if trying to connect remotely.

All was working fine when I originally set it up, so there's no problems with the configuration of these settings.

Highlighted

No Problem 🙂

When the new router arrives, use all the new cables also, and let me know if it helps.

Karl 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted

Hi @Stormer

If you start your own thread (new message), wed love to help.

Weve found that posting in someone elses conversation makes it harder to follow when looking for an answer.

Its easier and quicker if we can chat with you in a single thread, if you start your own thread, that will keep our community organised and help others with a similar problem.

Check your home phone number or account number are also added to your Community Profile as that will really help us to find your details quicker.

Thanks

Karl

Working From Home Tips

Wizz Kid

Hi Karl,

router received and set up at 3:00pm today. Will monitor performance and advise of any problems or confirm solution.

There is no return bag enclosed with the router for return of unwanted router. Can you advise?

Many thanks for your prompt action.

songbird1949

Highlighted

Hi songbird1949, I've ordered a returns bag for you.

Ady

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Replacement router has not resolved the problem. Yesterday 13-2-2020 my router was disconnected 5 times, (4 between 5:30pm and 11:30pm).

This problem of disconnecting has been noted by the system/line checker for some time.

please advise as all avenues here have been explored. It seems to me that the line maintenance system is causing the problem.

Highlighted
Wizz Kid
Should have added this to my post. My sync speed at the router dropped every time there was a disconnection from 20.9Mbps at 12noon to 16.8Mbps at 11:30pm. This is no where near what I expect to be receiving
Highlighted

Hi

The estimated speed of the line is 13-22mb so with the current sync speed of 19mb, the speed of the line is correct.

I am seeing a couple of retrains and have made a change here.  Can you see if stability improves over next 24hrs.

Thanks

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

Highlighted
Wizz Kid
Thanks for the information Karl.
My main concern is the number of times I am loosing connection.
On Saturday I lost connection a further 5 times between 6:58pm and midnight. (6:58, 7:11, 8:06,11:34, 12:00midnight)
This is playing havoc with recordings on my YouView box, having half or partially recorded programs.
Stability of the connection is what I need.
Highlighted

Hi

If the change I have made shows no improvement then we will need to arrange an engineer for you.

Thanks

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

Highlighted
Wizz Kid
Thanks Karl.
Will continue to monitor the connection and report to you either success or failure in a few days. Weekends do seem to be a more problematic time so may wait until after next weekend.
Highlighted

Hi songbird1949

Thank you, please let us know how you get on.

Debbie