Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Continual need for router reset

30 REPLIES 30
Highlighted
Team Player

I have to reboot the new 'super' router every 3/4 days. The service dashboard never tells the truth . When my download speed drops to half or less than my normal 37 to 38 mbs the dash board graph shows a steady 40 to the router. Rebooting fixes it instantly every time, but what a pain. TalkTalk reset the router and I had a 'stabilisation' week but it soon reverted to type. So far I have rebooted 6 times in August. Sad, as it's otherwise a good service and I don't want the hassle of changing provider.  Using the Chat line is often a total waste of time. You frequently get switched to another agent part way and spend ages going throughall the security stuff and exolaining the problem yet again.

paulshent looked at a post that I added to an existing post by Andy. He suggested I raise my issue individually.

It’s a TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub

Version v1.05t

Patrick John D'Arcy
Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @bratpat ,

The staff on this forum won't be around until Monday, but they should be able to respond to this post either tomorrow or Tuesday, they will be able to perform some further tests on your line & router to see if they can diagnose any issues. If they think the router is faulty then they would be able to send you a replacement.

Highlighted
Team Player
Thanks. I have doubts that the router is the problem as it finds a new external server immediatly every time, but I'll reserve judgement.
Patrick John D'Arcy
Highlighted
First Timer

I have the same problem and I was told my download speed would be between 50 and 75 meg but it's not got above 10 meg yet what a joke cant wait to change supplier. I've had the engineer out twice and had a new router after a lot of arguing but nothing has changed,when you phone the helpline they just go through the same thing over and over again after 10 times ringing them you get fed up with it 

Highlighted
Team Player
'We are not alone'!!! In the UK national press I see that TalkTalk is reported as the worst provide for customer service. Let's see if they improve anything this time.
Patrick John D'Arcy
Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi bratpat

I've made a change to your router, can you see if this is more stable over the next 24hrs.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Highlighted
Team Player
Thanks, Karl

The last drop was on Saturday and they have been happening at 2 to 4 day intervals in August to date so I'll let you know if and when I get the next one.
Patrick John D'Arcy
Highlighted

Hi

OK, give it a few days then report back.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi Karl

It was OK for 6 days from your reset - best run since July - but dropped to 27.9 (-27%) at 12.04 check. then to 22.8 (-40%) at 17.35. After router reboot it did the usual and got back to near normal, 36.8,  at 17.38 check. Are you still thinking it's the router?

Regards

bratpat

Patrick John D'Arcy
Highlighted

Hi bratpat,

I'm sorry to hear this. I've run a test on the line now which hasn't detected a fault and the sync speed looks very consistent. Is this currently affecting both wired and wireless speeds? Have you ever tested with a different router?

Thanks

Highlighted
Team Player

At 16.24 UK Wired download was 15.9 upload 5.5.

At 16.21 Wireless download was 9.7 upload 5.7. (Ipad 2 feet from the router)

That's a 2 day OK period, more or less what's been happening for the last month or so.

The router was installed in December 2019 after problems with the Faster Fibre Super Router (March 2017) that ran OK till April 2018. It was reset and ran OK till November 2019. With the current router a reboot get me back on normal immediatly. I haven't rebooted so that you can see the current speed. 

Regards

bratpat

Patrick John D'Arcy
Highlighted
Team Player
Without any action on my part it jumped back to 36.8 today. Was anything else done?
Patrick John D'Arcy
Highlighted
Team Player

I have the same problem. After months of low speed (8Mbps Download on super Fast Fibre) the BT Openreach Engineer identified a problem in a connection under the street. This was after many many months of me complaining and being told to repeatedly carry out the same tests and expect a different result everytime (Einstein's definition of Insanity). After the repair I was getting 40-43Mbps which was just over my guaranteed speed. Now I'm back to a problem again with having to reboot my router every other day when the speed goes down to about 10Mbps. After rebooting it is back up again to the 40Mbps so can someone please tell me why in the 21st Century and with all the technilogical wizadry available to talkTalk, they still cannot give me a stable, consistent and reliable service that other providers do as a matter of course. 

Norse
Highlighted
Team Player

Having read so many similar threads and posts on what seems to be a common TalkTalk problem it seems that they just can't manage their support. Rather than expecting varying agents to solve the problem it would be appropriate for someone very senior in TalkTalk - even the Chief Executive - to issue a statement as to what they intend to do to regain customer cofidence. I won't hold my breath though.

Patrick John D'Arcy
Highlighted

Hi bratpat

Just to confirm, has the speed remained consistent since your last post?

Thanks

Highlighted
Team Player

Annotation 2020-09-02 122903.jpg

This is what i'm getting now on SuperFast Fibre Broadband with an estimated speed (TalkTalk) of 48-79 Mbps? 

Norse
Highlighted
Team Player

No, Michelle.

Tuesday 1/9 UK 15.56 it was 36.8 without rebooting after Monday's drop.

Today 11.37 - 26.5

"      14.17 - 21.5

Same old! I'll check at intervals during the afternoon.

Patrick John D'Arcy
Highlighted

Hi bratpat,

Can I just confirm, have you ever tested with a different make and model of router?

Thanks

Highlighted
Team Player

Only as described in Post No.11. 

I've not had a third-party router for years. TalkTalk provide it as part of the 'service'. Are you suggesting I should purchase an alternative? A better alternative might be to change provider as the problem seems insurmountable.

This morning I am still down at 22.8 not having rebooted. The TalkTalk Service Status graph always shows 40 to the router whatever I'm actually getting. I'm going to reboot now and I can guarantee it will fix it  - for a few days.

Patrick John D'Arcy
Highlighted
Team Player
Michelle

@ 12.15 reboot - 37.6 download 5.4 upload . QED
Patrick John D'Arcy