would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

D/L speed dropped below Estimated Speed

14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
labrajaws
Conversation Starter

My broadband speed has been up and down ever since I joined TalkTalk 12 months ago (can't wait to leave in 6 months time - yay!).

I complained that it was not going above 35MB D/L and nothing was done. However when I last checked it had gone up to 40MB without any engineer visits or further complaints. It stayed at 40MB for several months until recently.

I had to turn off the mains about 11 days ago and the speed went down around this time - never to fully recover. It has now gone down to 35MB again and NOTHING has changed on my hardware setup. 

How do I get this increased to 40MB, which I know the line is perfectly capable of sustaining? I am not paying for an engineer visit as I know nothing is wrong on my end.

ServiceStatus.jpg

Thanks

Andy

Highlighted
KeithFrench
Community Star

How do you connect wireless, wired, or a mixture? If a mixture is a wired connection better than wireless?

It is important to see what your line is actually capable of and what your current download speed is.

To help diagnose this issue, please can you log on to your router, by opening a web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox & Google Chrome etc) and then enter this address in the address bar:-

http://192.168.1.1

enter the credentials:-

username: admin
password: admin        (unless you have set your own password).

If you use the HG633 & DSL-3782 or the TalkTalk Wi-Fi hub, they have their own unique password, which can be found at the top of the label on the rear of the router. It is the one labelled "router" or "admin" password, not the wireless one.

Then go to your ADSL or DSL summary page & paste the stats in this thread.

On the HG633 this is at:-

Maintain > System Information & expand Broadband Information

On the DSL-3782 go to the home page & copy the stats from the DSL & IPv4 pages.

If you have the new TalkTalk Wi-Fi hub this can be seen via:-

Dashboard > See internet settings > Manage Advanced settings > TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub

Click on the General tab then scroll down to the page to the xDSL section & copy & paste them into your reply.

Next can you also go to this speed checker (it is useful to have speed test figures taken at the same time as gathering the router's statistics):-

http://www.supportal-test.co.uk/

Alternatively use:-

https://myaccount.talktalk.co.uk/speed-checker/

Do this on both wireless & wired (if you have wired), but with never more than one device connected at a time.

Please can you paste the results here?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
labrajaws
Conversation Starter

@KeithFrench 

DSUS.jpgSpeedTest.jpg

I am not interested in Wireless speeds as I can sort this out locally - it is the wired speeds that I have an issue with, particularly as I have a Ring PoE security cam that requires a reliable fast wired Ethernet connection.

Regards

Andy

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi labrajaws

Apologies for the delay.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults and your line is in sync at 35mb.

Is the router currently connected at the test socket?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
labrajaws
Conversation Starter

@OCE_Debbie yes the router is connected to the test socket - however there are no extensions connected to the master socket anyway.

The issue appears to be that whenever the router is powered down, the speed automatically gets capped at 35MB. However when left powered on for several months, the speed has crept up to 40MB.

Regards

Andy

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Andy

Thanks for your reply.

For fibre connections we advise to leave the router switched on, however DLM should change the profile and adjust the speed if the connection remains stable and errors on the line are low.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
labrajaws
Conversation Starter

@OCE_Debbie The router has been up and stable for 12 days - surely DLM should have changed by now?

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi labrajaws

We usually advise to allow DLM at least 48hrs to make changes to the profile.

Do you have another router that you can connect to see if DLM starts to adjust the profile?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
labrajaws
Conversation Starter

@OCE_Debbie No I don't have another router, sorry.

It has been well over 48 hours since the router was last powered up and no improvement. 

What happens now, as I am not getting the speed promised when I signed up?

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi labrajaws

I can send you a replacement router for testing, would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
labrajaws
Conversation Starter

@OCE_Debbie OK if you think this will help please send a replacement router. However, I don't see how this will improve the speed, unless my router has been 'blacklisted' as being too fast and  subsequently locked down to 35MB. Time will tell.

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi labrajaws

The replacement router is on its way. Please allow DLM 48hrs to monitor the connection with this router connected.

Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
labrajaws
Conversation Starter

@OCE_Debbie @KeithFrench 

After 48 hours with the new router plugged in at the master socket, there is zero improvement:

15092019.jpg

What happens now? As I am not getting my estimated speeds can I leave Talk Talk penalty-free?

Andy

Highlighted
KeithFrench
Community Star

Hi @labrajaws 

I am not sure how you think I can answer your question as I am only a customer. TalkTalk will need to communicate with you on that.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi labrajaws

I'm sorry to hear this.

I can pass this over to our Network Team for investigation. If you would prefer to discuss leaving TalkTalk then please can you contact our Loyalty Team.

Thanks

Debbie