cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

D/L speed dropped from regular 36M to 20M in last few months.

39 REPLIES 39
Highlighted
Chat Champion

I was getting d/l speeds of about 36 M , using thinkbroadband tester in its four thread mode, although other testers showed about 25 M.

Some months ago, the speed has dropped to about 20 M, with all testers.

I have Faster Fibre, with now a sagem router, was huawei router.

I have contacted TT who tell me that my lowest contract speed is 19.xx M, so I am contractually satisfied, even though they advertise 38M.

I cannot emphasise enough that there are no loadings to affect the speed, except for a sky box, and I don't think that is running continuously.  Their line test show I have a stable connection, and router firmware is OK.

The  street cable is connected to a two connector master socket very near its house entry, and only the router and a cordless phone base are plugged. No house wiring beyond the master box. The phone base has no effect.

What annoys me is that for over two years I got 36M.  There has been no change in my house arrangements/configuration, but TT technical refuse to discuss why the change.

I can understand if it is extreme contention due to more people  working from home, but that has not been stated.

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Looking through this forum, I found a graph of d/l connection speed vs. distance from the street box. I've checked this on the map, and it is about 400m away. The graph shows a support capability of about 70 Mbps. So the speed I get, around 23 Mbps, was 36 Mbps,  is surely regulated by the exchange and however TT is supporting my line.

Once again, the problem is the drop in speed with no other domestic configuration changes.

Highlighted
Philosopher

Are you talking about speed test results or actual downstream line rate as reported in your router statistics ?

This is the speed that TT guarantee, speed test results have too many variables.

Martin
Highlighted
Chat Champion

I logged in to the router -  - and it says up/down = 22.4/6.0  Mbps

Router is SAGEM FAST5364, 

TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub 
version SG4K10001400t

Incidentally, when TT sent me the new router, they changed the network name.

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Sorry, obvious clanger!

Down / Up = 22.4 / 6 Mbps

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi jayesjay,

I've run a test on the line now which hasn't detected a fault. Does your master socket have a test socket? If it does then would it be possible to connect the router at the test socket directly so we can see if DLM makes any changes to the sync speed?

Is the voice service ok with no noise on the line?

Thanks

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Thanks for reply.

1) The phone line is fine, no noises etc.

2) The master box is what I understand is called a VDSL Interstitial  type.

3) I have tried temporarily connecting the phone and router via a ADSL filter module, and doing an immediate speed test, there was no speed change. 

4) I did not leave the modified configuration for any time, changing back to the face plates both re-fitted immediately.

5) I repeat that there is no "house internal" phone line wiring beyond the master box, so the drop cable sees only the master box input, and the master box output sees only the router and the cordless phone base unit.

6) I have disconnected (unplugged) the phone base with no effect.

7)I cannot emphasise sufficiently that I enjoyed a speed of about 36 M previously with no configuration change in the house wiring. If you were to tell me that the shortfall is due to a very high number of Covid lockdown users, I would have to accept that.

😎 Maybe I have to connect via a filter module and wait a day or whatever is required to have the system settle down? I say a filter module, as I can't afford to lose the phone facility.

Thanks for you efforts so far, anyway!

Highlighted
Chat Champion

PS. I don't know why a smiley has appeared  near the end of my post. Is it because I have a question mark?

Chat Champion

Obviously not. How does one edit a post?

Highlighted

Hi jayesjay,

Thanks for the additional information. Would it be possible to re-connect the microfilter, router and phone back at the test socket for a short period as it can take between 24-48hrs for DLM to make changes to the speed if the connection remains stable?

Thanks

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Thanks Michelle.

I have just done that, and I can leave it so as long as necessary.

I have several filter modules, not identified by age, and I have picked one at random. I hope that's OK. It's a BT MF50.

Highlighted

Hi jayesjay,

Thank you. Yes, any microfilter will be ok, probably the newest one you have. I'll check back in with you on Wednesday to see if DLM has made any changes to the speed.

Thanks

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Friday morning....

So, no change?

Highlighted
Chatterbox

Mines the same since around April. I remember on the news they said all isp's were throttling back everyone's internet to cope with demand as everyone was off work. My 40/10 is currently running at around down 23Mbps and up 5Mbps which is half of what i pay for! 

My Minds Eye!
Highlighted

Hi jayesjay,

I'm really sorry, I snoozed your topic until Wednesday and I'm not sure why this didn't come back to me. I've re-checked and I can also see that DLM hasn't made a further change. Can I just confirm, if you've recently tested with your original Huawei router as the next step will be to arrange an engineer visit to the property?

Thanks

Highlighted
Chat Champion

I have not  yet made the point before in this thread that I have two landlines in the same drop cable, one is a BT line, and the other the TT line.

Because I have always used the TT line for BB, I don't use the BT BB.

But checking just now,   measured also on thinkbroadband, The BT BB has speeds  of 52/9 Mbps down/up, compared with the TT current approx 21/5 Mbps. In the BT contract, I have the slowest Fibre BB package, as far as I can tell.

The BT line also has a dual master socket, and supports a long run of house phones, including a cordless base identical to the (only connection) one used on my TT line.

The connections from the nearest distribution post are identical, in the street (same cable), and similar at the house entry up to the two master boxes. All the phones work perfectly,and BB works in both, albeit so slow in the TT line.

Now, I say, please, please, why is the TT BB so abysmally slow compared with the BT line, and I'm going to repeat it, why did it change so drastically a few months ago..

Highlighted

Hi jayesjay

I'm not sure why the speed difference has changed. The predicted speed range is provided to us by Openreach.

Your line is in sync at 22.4mb.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Thanks, Debbie.

1)  Why is Openreach giving me >50 on my BT line and only 22 on the TT line? Is it a deliberate speed supression? Any Ideas?

You say the speed range is told you be Openreach. But the actual speed is way down by the lower end.

2) Does this mean all the recent tests and effort on both our parts are a waste of time? Where do we go from here? What is the future prospect?

3) BTW, I didn't receive notification of your last post on email.

Highlighted

Hi jayesjay

We can raise this over to Openreach to investigate, this would be an engineer visit to the property but we can't guarantee if the speed will increase as this will be based upon the engineers findings.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Chat Champion

This is a repeat of a post to another thread on the same topic - I'm not sure why this has happened.

Post>>

Today is Wed 5th Aug, and my  BB speed is up to 32.2 bursting to 33.2 M.  This is the first test I've done for several days, so I don't know when the speed was restored to 30 + instead of 2+.

It almost looks co-incidental with relaxed lockdown!

Your last post said you would need to go up a level to an engineer call. It looks as if that isn't necessary - and as I have repeated, I have no change to my home network.

Thanks for attempted help anyway