cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

D/L speed dropped from regular 36M to 20M in last few months.

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi jayesjay

I'm glad to hear that the speed has increased.

Please let us know if you do experience any further issues.

Debbie

Highlighted
Chat Champion

I have reopened this thread with a new problem. If I should open a new thread, please advise...

This morning, the speed suddenly dropped from the current normal of 33M to about 8M.

For a short time, intermittently, the internet generally failed.

I have disconnected power from the router for over 30 minutes, but on re-connection there was no speed increase.

I disconnected all other router wired outputs, with no wireless users, and there was no improvement. In this configuration there is only the desktop pc connected to the router.

I normally use only a desktop pc, but I get the same low speed when connecting my laptop.

While the speed has dropped , and stayed dropped all day so far, the BT router I also have, not normally used, continues to run at 50M. The wiring for both systems has not been changed, certainly not suddenly this morning, and is common from the exchange - both in one 4 wire drop cable.

Meanwhile, the TT status website page continues to say that my speed is measured today as abut 34 M, or above -and has said this all the time recently. 

Highlighted
Community Star

I'll re-escalate this thread for you,  @jayesjay

Staff will reply Monday to Friday. 

Gliwmaeden2
Please click "like" if this helped you!
Highlighted

Hi jayesjay,

I'm sorry to hear this and I'll take another look now. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault, however the connection appeared to be unstable and the sync speed has dropped. Just to confirm, did you make any changes to the equipment set up or add any new equipment before the speed dropped?

Thanks

Highlighted
Chat Champion

As far as I know, there has been no change or unusual connections in the TalkTalk landline and BB configuration.

As I said, I also have, in the same drop cable and general wiring configuration, a BT landline and BB, and this is happily running at about 50Mbps.

I temporarily disconnected all users other than one of my two pc, a desktop and a laptop, and ensured all WiFi potential users are off, but I'm not sure if I did the "router off" check in this configuration. It would have shown a result only if an active problem was "holding down" the line.

Meanwhile I have twice done the "router off" check, and there was no improvement, but I don't think I disconnected all users at the time.

BTW, I took some time in writing a message to the same effect as this, but when trying to log on to post it - I got an Oops! message, and my hard work was wasted.

You may like to note that  the TT line in the drop cable is connected only to the TT dedicated master box (wall socket), and the outputs from this are to only the front panel - a cordless phone base via the filtered socket, and the Sageamcom router. There are no wired extension leads.

I haven't tried the reset button, and I could definitely try the router off check with all but one output to my pc. On the other hand, if the exchange has decided I have an unstable connection, maybe they have to be nudged to restore the speed before any resets I could do were effective.

Highlighted

Hi jayesjay,

Thanks for the additional information. Do you have a alternative router that you could connect just to rule this out as the next step would be to arrange an engineer visit?

Thanks

Highlighted
Chat Champion

I have the Huawei Super router HG635 used prior to receiving the Sagemcom router.

Is it worth doing a router off for 30 mins test with all disconnected , and even with the phone unplugged, before trying with the HG635  router?

Highlighted
Chat Champion

I have done these tests:

1) Using current Sagemcom router,

nothing connected at all including all router outputs,

only router connected to master box,

landline cordless phone base via filter in master box connector also disconnected.

No wifi users on.

40 minutes off,

turned on. When router white(setup complete) lights up, then reconnected just one router op to pc.

Result, speed no change (~8Mbps.)

2) Replaced router with previous Huawei HG653 router, only one output, no change.

What I haven't done is with that router and configuration, repeated the half hour off test.

So I have reinstated current Sagemcom router in normal configuration.

OK, so where do we go from here?

Thanks for your efforts.

PS I keep posting replies which seem to get lost. I have had to re-compose at least two!

Highlighted
Chat Champion

BTW, it is irritating when other speed checkers, eg thinkbroadband and ookla (which is what used to be displayed by TT, consistently show down link speed as about 8 Mbps, and the TT Service Centre says the measured speed is 25 Mbps (today -  has been showing 33M with other checkers low speed).

This is not a small difference, perhaps due to detail difference in transmitted files, but appears to be a major difference..

Highlighted

Hi jayesjay,

Your speed is being limited by your line profile so you won't see an immediate speed improvement when you make any changes. Could you reconnect the HG635 and leave it connected for at least 48 hours to allow DLM to respond to any improvements in connection stats

thans

Chris

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Done it.  HG635 reinstated.

Highlighted
Highlighted
Chat Champion

OK

It's three days now since I reinstalled the HG 365 router.

I haven't turned off the router since (so as to reset).

Should I try that now?

Or where do we go from here?

Highlighted

Hi jayesjay,

I'm sorry for the delay. I can see that the sync speed has dropped even further. If all testing has been completed at the test socket with a different router then the next step will be to arrange an engineer visit. Would you like us to arrange this for you?

Thanks

Highlighted
Chat Champion

As I said in my last post I have not yet done the Router off for 1/2 hour test, since reinstalling the HG635 and leaving it connected for at least 48 hours .

Two questions:

Should I do the 1/2 hour off test next?

Should I then, or without doing that test,  reinstall the Sagemcom router?

Highlighted

Hi jayesjay,

Apologies for the confusion, yes please try the 30 minute router power down and let us know how you get on. If you did want to retry the other router before arranging an engineer visit then please let us know.

Thanks

Highlighted
Chat Champion

1)  I have done a 1/2 hour off test with the HG635 router - no change in speed - still d/u 8/5M.

2) I have reinstated Sagemcon router, and did another 1/2 hour off test - same result - I hope this doesn't register as more instability!.  

3) I have checked the master socket. As far as I understand, it is a standard NTE5 backbox with a "staggered" Mk2 intermediate filter plate, with the router socket, and the standard front lower half plate with the phone socket.

It  has hard wiring only as follows: just the blu/wht and wht/blu pair from the drop cable via a junction box. There are no connections other than those, i.e. no phone extensions at all. I have no reason to suspect the installation from the drop cable termination to the master socket as described - it was working fine prior to the synch speed drop.

The Talktalk land line drop cable therefore meets only a junction box, and a connection to the back box of the master socket, followed only by the intermediate filter plate with its socket, and thence the router cable.

As I said, the BT line has almost the identical configuration, sharing the same drop cable and junction box, and this is happily running at 50M

Several of my tests have been carried out with no output connection from the router apart from the PC, and all WiFi connected equipment turned off. So no TV or other equipment interactions should have been interfering.

If you have exhausted all means you have of fixing the speed, then perhaps an engineer is called for. I obviously want to avoid paying for this, which is why I hoped you could fix it.

I thank all those who have tried to solve the problem. If you do arrange for an engineer I will of course let you know the outcome. 

Highlighted

Hi jayesjay,

Thanks for trying that 

The next step will be to arrange an engineer visit to investigate further, to do this can you confirm:

• That you accept potential Engineers charges
  • Provide availability, either AM (8am to 1pm) or PM (1pm to 6pm) between Monday to Friday.

I've also sent you a PM to confirm some other details 

Thanks

Chris

Highlighted
Chat Champion

I apologise for not having replied sooner, and I can tell you that my download speed is now about 27/28 Mbps. It has improved to that value over the last few days, while it has been about 26/27 for week or so.

This is so while to connections at my end are the currently restored master box, and for some time since your last message, the line socket in the master box interior plus a DSL wired filter (normal box on a short lead. In both cases, there is no external wiring from the master box internal phone connections onwards.

It seems clear that the degradation in line speed is entirely due to whatever happens prior to the master box, in the line, drop cable and its fittings, or exchange.

Thank you again for your efforts in solving my problem, and indeed if it was that which solved my problem, unbeknowns to me. 

Highlighted

Hi jayesjay,

I'm sorry for the delay and thanks for the update.

Thanks