Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

DDNS help

9 REPLIES 9
Charlie6969
Team Player

I have set up all my port forwarding within my router and it works perfectly for both internal and external viewing of my CCTV. Is there anyway I can view my DVR remotely using my laptop? I use a DDNS account for the APP.

KeithFrench
Community Star

Your laptop would need to be running 24/7 to run a DDNS client. Why not just use the router as the DDNS client? Depending on your router & DDNS provider, this can be very easy to do & I can offer configuration help on this.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Charlie6969
Team Player

Thank you for your reply. The cameras are located at our holiday cottage and operates on a talk talk router. Hg633. I have opened ports 2000, 18004, 9000 and 8081. I also selected DDNS and filled in the DDNS account information.  DDNS account is with Kguard.org.

KeithFrench
Community Star

In that case, I certainly would not recommend leaving a laptop on site for your DDNS client. What TT router is that & what DDNS provider are you using?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Birchcroft
Wise Owl

Sorry to butt in but I think there might be a slight misunderstanding.  My reading of what @Charlie6969 is saying is that they are ready running DDNS on their router and this allows allows them to access their CCTV via an App, presumably on a phone. They now want to know if they can access the camera from their laptop. I could of course be wrong.  If not then to some extent it will depend on the camera and whether or not it requires a dedicated App to work.   In the case of the cameras I use it is possible to display the video within a browser, eg firefox.  To do this I just have to enter the camera address in the browser and log into the camera.  Eg assume the DDNS address used is: xxx.ddnsprovider.com and the camera uses port 8081 then I would enter xxx.ddnsprovider.com:8081 into the browser address bar.  If the camera supports rstp and/or onvif then you should also be able to access the video via the corresponding ports using a suitable program 

Charlie6969
Team Player
I am using a Kguard NS401 DVR. The port 8081 is open and remote viewing works perfectly on an APP. Tried the username.kguard.org:8081 and nothing. I assume that box does not support this function.
Birchcroft
Wise Owl
Having just had a very quick look at the user manaual for the NS401 it would appear it does support connecting to a laptop, although it First of all the when I suggested :8081 I was assuming that the port redirection you set up was from http Port 8081 to Port 8081 on th IP of your device. If the http port is something other than 8081, eg 80, then that is the port you have to specify in your address bar. Also the "username.kguard.org" bit should be the domanin (host) name specified in your DDNS setup so to be clear what goes in your address bar is "domain name:external port", or based on the setup shown in the online manual: admin123.kguard.org:80.

I would also suggest that you post your question on the Kguard user forum, if such a thing exists, as the people there will have more exprience of the kit and will amost certainly have already done what you are trying to do.
Charlie6969
Team Player
I have tried that approach on my internet explorer and my DVR is not found. The 8081 port is what I am trying to use. username. Kguard.org:8081
Birchcroft
Wise Owl
I would definitely try the kguard community then
Birchcroft
Wise Owl
Also you need to ensure that the port redirection is setup on your router.