cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

DLM has set my fibre to 32Mbps - was 38Mbps - due to router being power cycled a few times

26 REPLIES 26
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi,

I had some electrical work in my home and my electricity was powered off and on a few times.

I stupidly forgot to just unplug the router, hence the router was therefore power cycled quite a few times.

This has resulted in DLM setting my speed to 32Mbps (was 38Mbps).

I realise I may have to just wait for DLM to sort it out andf reset to 38Mbps.  But on reading the articles below it seems that ISP's can now "reset" DLM themselves as of 2018.

If this is possible can someone from TalkTalk reset my DLM please.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/02/ability-reset-openreach-fttc-broadband-dlm-profiles-ar...

https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/updates/briefings/super-fastfibreaccessbriefings/super-fastfib...

Thanks,

Scott

Highlighted
Community Star

This was/is a trial to which TalkTalk has never been a party as far as I am aware. Fibre DLM can only be reset as a consequence of an engineer visit. Given the circumstances in which your speed reduced I imagine it should increase again after DLM has detected a suitable period of stability. 

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Scott

I've checked the connection stats and your line is in sync at 38.3mb.

Please can you leave the router switched on without rebooting for at least 48hrs to allow DLM time to monitor the connection and adjust the speed.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Thanks Debbie and Ferguson.  I will monitor the router after a few days.

Scott

Highlighted

Hi Scott

Thank you. If you post back on this thread on Thursday then we can check the connection stats/speed again.

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi Debbie,

Well, my router connected back at 39999Kbps last week as you saw.  I left it all alone and eventually the speed stayed at 39999Kbps.

Then I had two disconnects - which was strange, as normally it is VERY stable.  The speed dropped back to 32000Kbps immediately after the disconnects (not overnight - but straight away).

I then listed to my phone and there is the dreaded noise (very small) and very slight crackling.  So now I wonder if my electrical work was just a coincidence, and that the issue is a noisy line.  

I know line tests don't often pick up these small intermittent issues.  So I will leave for two more weeks and see if the line still sounds noisy.  If so i will get back to you.

About 3 years ago the noise was terrible and Openreach fixed it by climbing the pole and doing something with the line (the line was very corroded and water was getting in).  After the fix the line was totally clear.  Maybe it is a similar issues, perhaps the lines are corroded slightly again.

I will update in one or two weeks.

Regards,

Scott

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Quick update.  At 23:45ish on 1st Sep the line got very noisy.  Lots of crackling.  Then the broadband dropped and the router resynced at 25000kbps'ish.

The Noise Margin showed at 6dB.  Normally its 18dB.

On 2nd at 07:00-07:30ish I rebooted the router and it resynced at 324000kpbs with 18dB noise margin.  The line is not crackling.

Very odd - I don't know what would cause an intermittent noisy line, especailly at 23:45 at night.  No bad weather, no rain.

I will monitor and keep some dates/times.  I wont be too concerned with the broadband, I will just listen for a noisy line - as this seems the cause...

Scott

Highlighted

Hi

Do make a note of a few dates and times of the crackle.  We can then check for any error bursts around this times.

Also, if you have a test socket, test directly at this as this will rule out any internal wiring issues.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi Karl,

My router was disconnected/reconnected at about 15:48 on 5th Sep.

It reconnected at 32Mbps, but with a max line speed of under 40Mbps (normally this is up at 70Mbps).

So I think the line must have been "noisy" at this time.

Can you check to see if there were errors at this time.  I wasn't using the router/internet as I was at work, I just noticed it had had some issues when I looked at the stats.

It is so odd, most of the time the phone line is fine, it is just 10% of the time, at varying times, that is is "noisy".

Also - out of interest, do you know when my router was upgraded to the latest firmware.

Thanks,

Scott

Highlighted

Hi Scott

The line test is detecting a possible fault and there are re connections on the line.

Is the noise present on the line at the moment? Did you test at the test socket? I can then pass this over to our Network Team for investigation.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi Debbie,

I can listen and its noisy, then 10mins later the noise is gone.  It was noisy just before I started to write this, and it now clear (slight buzz but I think that is normal?)

I have an openreach faceplate on the master/test socket that comes into my house from outside.  That faceplate splits the phone and broadband signal, so I don't need a separate micro-filter, ie I have two "connections" in the faceplate, one for the phone and one for the router.

A few days ago I removed this faceplate and tested the phone in the test socket at a time it was noisy, and I still had the noise.

It would be great if you could pass to your network team - I am glad the tests shows there may be an issue as I know how difficult these intermittent faults can be.

Thanks,

Scott

Highlighted

Hi Scott

Thanks for your reply.

I have passed this fault over to our Network Team for investigation and I will post back on this thread as soon as I receive further information.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted

Hi Scott

This fault has been passed to an Openreach line engineer and we should receive further updates within the next 48hrs.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi,

It has been really stable for the last 4 days.  

No disconnects at all.

Speed is 32000kbps but I think thats just DLM has not increased it.

The max line speed shows as 70000kbps.

The phone line doesn't seem to be noisy.

So I wonder if someone did something...

But from what I can tell all looks good.

Scott

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Literally just after my last post I had a call from openreach.  They were at my house (I was at work).  They have said small line fault where the cable goes into my house.  They have fixed it - so I will see when I get home how it all looks.

Scott

Highlighted

Hi Scott

Thanks for your reply.

Please let us know how the connection compares.

Debbie

Highlighted

Hi Scott

We have also received an update from Openreach to advise that this fault should now be resolved.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi,

So my line is now syncing at 40kbps - thats great and back to normal.  So the engineer maybe reset DLM as well.

My actual download speed (tested via Ookla) is showing as always 29-30mbps.

I used to ALWAYS get 37mbps - literally tested LOTS of times in the past and have the old results.

Any reason the download speed now is only 29-30mbps.  My SNR is good - no noise on the line etc.

Is the IP profile set too low somehow.  Can you take a look and see if you can spot anything.

Thanks,

Scott

Highlighted

Hi Scott

Thanks for your reply.

Please can you power down your router for a full 30 minutes and run a speed test following this?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

The old "reboot" trick worked.  I now have download speeds of 37mbps.

So all back to normal.  I kind of don't like that I know have the drop cable, with a 3 inch piece of extension cable, then that 3 inch extension is connected to the cable that goes into my house - but that's just me wanting it all tidy - the fact is it is working 🙂

I wasn't awawre Openreach where coming to my house today, which i know isn't to do with TalkTalk.  But if Openreach had let me know, then I could have let them come in and properly sort the cables out.  I am not sure if this is something TalkTalk can feed back to Openreach?

One quick question - if I try the TalkTalk speed checker where I enter my address and it gives an estimated speed I *could* get, it says 68mbps.  My neighbours each side says 73mbps.  I wonder if that is due to all the bits of cable I now have?  Doesn't matter as I only pay for 40mbps anyway.

Thanks for all your help.

Regards,

Scott