Did you mean: 
Need help?

DNS issues.....ALL the time.

13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
stevencampbell
First Timer

Hello all,

I started up with Talk Talk from BT in Febuary, but i have been CONSTANTLY having issiues, i tried calling customer support for help/advice and was supposed to get a call back and didnt...i also didn't fancy another 35 min wait to speak to someone again.

Pretty much since we started with TT there have been issues, DNS not responding, having to reset the router 4/5 times a day ect....

I have done a full master reset on ther router, and on my PC, Laptop, Tablet and x3 mobile phones around the house....ALL of them are still experiencing issues....so now i know 100% that it isn't a device issue.

Now, knowing that the fault was either at the router or down the lines somewhere, we were connected via wireless at first, but then tried Home Plugs, still the same issues...so we bought a cat6 Ethernet lead to run through the flat and still the problem keeps happening.

The internet will work for a couple of hours, then all of a sudden the yellow caution sign appears and nothing happens....i will always run the troubleshooter and one of 2 option is always offered, DNS issues OR reset the router/modem and try again...this can stay this way for upto 30 mins at a time.

The router is directly connected to the wall socket, along with any other devices that use the internet, even without the use of home plugs, we only usually have 1 device connected at a time so it can't be a traffic issue.

The desktop is a 64gb RAM, 6 core 3.9GHZ machine....so it CERTAINLY is nothing to do with performance...as when this happens Google home page doesn't even load.

The unusual thing is that it keep happening at rough times, just before 5pm, 8pm, 12;00am, 7am, 1pm and back at 5 pm.

I just can't get my head around this, i'm a little tech savvy and have NEVER came across a connection issue like this, nor as persistant. Not to mention on ALL devices around the property have the same issue.

When i spoke to TT customer Serives, they tried a few ping/packet tests, and declared there is nothing wrong with the line and the fault is at my end.....i don't see how, So i decided to run the router at a friends house on his Virgin Media line, 6 days later....no faults.

Does anyone have any idea on what this could possibly be? Or even a hint at a fix? I have tried flushing my DNS and forcing a specific pathway...and nothing.....i'm literally at my wits end with this, as alot of my work is based at home and i NEED a stable internet connection.

Any help would be gretly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance!

Highlighted
KeithFrench
Community Star

When this happens, what is the state of the lights on the router, before you reboot it. Whilst it could be a network issue stopping you from reaching the main TalkTalk DNS servers (or Google DNS etc), it could also be your router (less likely as you have used it on another broadband) or line. I will ask one of TalkTalk's OCEs to pick your thread up and investigate it for you.

The forum is not real-time 24/7 support, so depending on how busy they are & how many are working at any one time, this can take 24 - 48 hrs (excluding weekends & limited cover on Bank Holidays). Alternatively, you can call the call centre or use online chat. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. So the fewer entries you make on your thread now, the sooner they will pick it up.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
stevencampbell
First Timer

Hello,

Firstly thank you for replying!

When this happens the interned LED goes Red, apart from that the usual green flashing/solid lights as usual.

Thank you for referring me! I will be sure to update my account now.

I understand that there shouldn't be a fix on here, my question was to detect anyone having similar issues and hopefully a resolve.

Regards!

Have a good day! 🙂

Highlighted
KeithFrench
Community Star

The internet light going red tells me everything. 

When the internet light is red on the router, (or the status light is amber on the new TalkTalk Wi-Fi hub) the connection to the exchange equipment (or fibre cabinet if fibre) is normally OK, but there is a virtual path that needs to exist from this equipment to the internet. It is this virtual path that is down. This can be caused generally by:-

1. Authentication issues
  2. Network issues
  3. IP filter issues
  4. An unusual line fault that does not affect basic connection.
  5. Router configuration issue or faulty router

The OCEs will sort this for you.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi stevencampbell,

I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault and the connection looks stable at the moment. Just to confirm, how often are you experiencing drops in connection?

Thanks

Highlighted
stevencampbell
First Timer

Hello,

Thank you for running the tests, unfortunately it happens every day without fail and the times most often are 1pm, 5pm, 8pm, and between 10pm/11pm.

These are the times most noticed, but it happens around the clock it seems.

When it works, it works well, but when the connection drops, i can't even load google and DNS errors appear, and othes saying to reset the router ect....

As mentioned earlier, the Internet light goes red on the Hub when this happens.

Hope this helps.

Thank you.

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi stevencampbell,

Thanks for the update. Do you have an alternative router that you could test with to rule this out?

Thanks

Highlighted
mark49
First Timer

Sorry to bother you but this is happening to me ,did you get it fixed ?

Thanks in advance 

Mark

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Mark,

I'm sorry to hear this. Please can you create your own thread and we can look into this further for you.

Thanks

Highlighted
Luckios
Popular Poster

Hi, 

Did you find a solution to this? 

I've been experiencing this on and off for a while now. 

Many thanks

Highlighted
FritzCT
Problem Solver

You really need to start your own thread. I know that sounds a bit *@#][!![]'#[@#]!* but it's so the OCE's can track the issue and offer better help.

Anyway the first thing to try is to set the DNS manually....Use Google DNS or Open DNS.

Fritz

Highlighted
Luckios
Popular Poster
Thanks Fritz - I will start my own thread.

I had already changed the DNS to Google..
Highlighted
mark49
First Timer
My problem was the TP Link powerline adapters I was using ,they would randomly drop the internet giving the error dns probe finished no internet . stopped using them and the problem went .
Highlighted
Luckios
Popular Poster

We aren't using any powerline adaptors. You've made me wonder now if it's the filter?..