Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

DOWNLOAD SPEED AFTER APPLYING FIBRE BOOST

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

This is more in the nature of a question than a problem (I hope!).   My devices are normally connected to router via wi-fi.  Just boosted fibre package and found UPload speed had effectively doubled - no complaint there - but that DOWNload speed, whilst better than before, was initially less than UP speed before creeping up to something only slightly higher.  Typical readings: down c. 22 Mbs, up 18Mbs.   Figures are pretty consistent whether close to router or in another room.

Tried wired connection via ethernet cable and found up speed similar to the foregoing, but down speed c. 50Mbs.  I wonder if this is normal, or whether it's some sort of wifi issue.  Anybody got any ideas?  Any suggestions/explanations gratefully received!

EDIT:  After skimming through other posts since writing the above it appears others are experiencing something similar....

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Gridders,

Your current downstream sync speed is 65.9Mbps. If throughput speeds are still low can you switch your router off for 30 minutes then switch back on and retest - please let us know how you get on

Chris

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Thanks, Chris,

As it happens I'd already tried the 30 minute switch-off a couple of days ago (perhaps a bit too soon after boost activated?) but I'm pleased to report that after repeating the process this a.m. things have greatly improved - not immediately, but definitely OK now!   

Wired results are typically 55Mbs+ down, 18Mbs+ up, as was the case when I originally posted, and I was happy with that.  Wireless readings were the problem, but are now typically 40Mbs+ down (best was 56.59) and c18Mbs up when measured close to the router,  When further away the up speed is much the same, but the down is reduced markedly to c24-25Mbs.  Still a good reading, but I'm curious as to why down speed is attenuated by distance but not the up - just asking!

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Gridders,

Glad to hear your speeds have now improved. Sorry, not really sure why your upstream speeds stay higher when further away but downstream speeds drop.

Chris