Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

DSL-3782 Router Poor Wi-FI Performance

11 REPLIES 11
Yandards
Popular Poster

Having been using the DSL-3782 for a number of months instead of the old 'Super Router' its become apparent over time that the Wi-Fi performance especially on the 5Ghz band is terrible.

I am frequently unable to connect my PC that is located in the room above the DSL-3782 - a maximum of 3m away from the actual box without reverting to the 2.4Ghz band.

We are now dependant on a solid Wi-Fi signal as we use them for our baby monitor and DSL-3782 keeps dropping the connection from the baby monitor which is not helpful at all; again these devices are located no more than 4m away from the actual router and pass through a single wooden construction floor.

The DSL-3782 was provided to resolve an issue with the 'Super routers' unstable and poor fibre connnection speeds and it has done this, sadly the Wi-Fi performance issues have become an increasing and unsatisfactory problem. I was away for 8 weeks with work over the summer period so was not in a position to monitor the performance of the router - hence the large gap between its delivery and my current issue.

Thanks,
Yan
KeithFrench
Community Star

Generally, WiFi signals do not travel well to the floor above the router, only to the floor the router is on & the one below. However, WiFi interference might also be making things worse.

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal, or no signal on some or all devices, might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a by-product of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

However, other factors should be investigated first. When this happens, what are the lights showing on the front of the router? Do you have any wired connections & if so, how do they perform?

The DSL-3782 is a dual-band router & offers both the older 2.4GHz & the newer 5GHz Wi-Fi bands. The problem is these are two different networks (SSIDs), but they share the same name, so you can't tell which one you are connected to. Log into the router (http://192.168.1.1) and enter a username of "admin" and use the unique router password (see the label on the rear of the router at the top).

Go to:-
Settings > Wireless (Wi-Fi)

Append "5G" to the end of the network name of the 5 GHz "SSID" field. Then click "Save".

This will not fix your issues, but it will make it much easier to identify the band you are connected to. This way you will know which band is causing your problems.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

You may then wonder what was really the point of this if it won't solve the problem? This is because the whole topic is too complex to be dealt with in one post. The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results, so as I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

an1sa_k
Wizz Kid

This is just a suggestion. 

Was your old Super Router the HG633? If so and you do still have that router, I recommend you switch back to it, because after its latest firmware update (to V2.00t), the router has been very stable and WiFi performance has also improved a lot. I've switched from the D-Link 3782 back to the HG633 after I'd seen a considerable improvement.

You can request a firmware update for your HG633 router by contacting technical support via Live Chat, or by starting a new thread in the community. I'd also recommend factory resetting the router, which you can find instructions for here.

Hope I've helped. 😁

Anisa Khalifa
Yandards
Popular Poster

Hi Keith,

First thank you for the prompt and extensive reply.

In answer to your question I know if I am on the 2.4Ghz or the 5Ghz network as I change the SSIDs and have done for over a decade.  Whilst I fully understand local environmental factors have huge effects on radio transmission and reception the router occupies the same physical location as the Technicolour TG589VacV2 one I had prior to switching to TT - never had any WiFi issues with the PC, didn't have the baby monitor then!

The baby monitor is not always on so I can remove that from the interference calculation, no other WiFi tx/rx items have been changed in the home since the transition to TT and I occasionally look at popular/congested WiFI bands to avoid those using an app on my phone.

Lights remain as expected, ie no indication of the router recongnising a hardware failure or other explanation for a drop in WiFi.

I have 4 devices connected via cat 5 cable, TV, Xbox, Synology NAS and a Hive hub - aside from having to reboot the Xbox yesterday to get it back online (it had had a firmware update though) they all perform flawlessly with no dropped connections. 4k Netflix streaming works well, Xbox network diagnostics return around 70Mbps etc.

My old Super Router was returned due to its poor broadband performance so I can't use that and update to the newer firmware but thank you for the suggestion.

Thanks,
Yan
KeithFrench
Community Star

Have you used a Wi-Fi analyser?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

Yandards
Popular Poster

Yes, about a 5 dBm split between 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz and no other local WiFi router/hubs on the same channel.

Not been able to capture the issue 'live' when it won't connect or performance drops of yet to see if the radio power is dropping off though.

Thanks,
Yan
KeithFrench
Community Star

I will ask one of TalkTalk's OCEs to pick your thread up and investigate it for you.

The forum is not real-time 24/7 support, so depending on how busy they are & how many are working at any one time, this can take 24 - 48 hrs (excluding weekends & limited cover on Bank Holidays). Alternatively, you can call the call centre or use online chat. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. So the fewer entries you make on your thread now, the sooner they will pick it up.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith

Community Team

Hi Yandards,

I can send another router to test with, would you like me to arrange this?

Chris

Yandards
Popular Poster
Hello Chris,

Yes please that would be great.
Thanks,
Yan
Community Team

Hi

A new router is on the way for testing.

This should arrive in the next 24-48 working hours.

Thanks

Karl. 

Yandards
Popular Poster

New router arrived and connected, hopefully this one will provide a more stable internet connection as my previous 'Super Router' was regularly dropping the broadband connection and performed very poorly with respect to speed versus my old provider.

Will keep you posted over the next few days.

Thanks,
Yan
Community Team

Hi Yandards 

Thanks for keeping us updated. Please let us know how you get on.

Debbie