Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Daily connection drops

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
First Timer

Hi everyone,

I'm having multiple daily connection drops (about 4 in the last two hours), exactly the same as the previous forum post, here https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Daily-connection-drops/td-p/2294890. These occur on all devices conntected to the network.

My housemate and I spoke with someone on the phone today who was not terribly helpful. After running diagnostics, he said nothing was wrong. He did suggest changing the channel, which we have tried, and did not think he could help us further, apart from offering us a £50 extender (after I already explained I had tried an extender; the drops occur on all devices with and without it). The router is the brand new one that came with the broadband package (installed september 2018).

I'm very upset as I'm a regular gamer and streamer and this problem is making it impossible (especially annoying as we pay extra for the faster 50+mbps connection).

Has anyone been able to fix this?

I did think that perhaps a different router might help?

Thanks for reading, let me know if you need any more info,

Ella 🙂

Highlighted
Philosopher

Hi @skilfulquail 

if u can finsh of ur profile on here.

as it will mean the talktalk staff can find u on their system.

Can i ask how long have u been with talktalk for and what ur house set up is with the eqipment wired and wireless.

What is the router u have and what speed are u getting on the talktalk speed site..

A bite of info of Forum:
The forum is not real-time 24/7 support, so depending on how busy they are & how many are working at any one time, this can take 24 - 48 hrs (excluding weekends & limited cover on Bank Holidays). Alternatively, you can call the call centre or use online chat. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. So the fewer entries you make on your thread now, the sooner they will pick it up.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:- Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Hope that help Regards Joe
If so then give me a Kudos ( Click the Thumb up Button)
Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi skilfulquail,

Please can you update your forum profile to include your telephone number so that we can look into this further. To do this go into "my settings" then "personal information" then add your details.

Please do not post any personal information on the forum.

Thanks

Highlighted
First Timer

Thank you very much for your replies everyone. This is just a note for anyone experiencing the same problem.

I was offered a booster by talk talk for £50, but as there was no problem with the phone line, I was pretty sure the sub-standard router was the problem.

This was correct, so I went to buy a replacement from Argos that is working properly. A good one is anywhere from about £40-90, just ensure it's VSDL talktalk compatible. It is quite irritating that the original router provided to us (provided with the faster broadband service) was unsuitable to gaming and that we had to buy a replacement to make it usable.

Hope this helps someone else, I tried a lot of things before I was sure this was the problem.

Highlighted
Philosopher

@skilfulquail  the team would have got u sorted one way or another.

as they can send out other routers for testing for free.

Hope that help Regards Joe
If so then give me a Kudos ( Click the Thumb up Button)
Highlighted
First Timer

I didn't actually realise this was an option, as it would have been really helpful.

From the three online chats and phone call we had this was not given as an option. We were only offered a engineer (which would have charged us if it was a problem with the router) and the option to buy additional products from them (not tempting when their current product was substandard).

This was just my experience,

I hope other people had better luck 🙂