cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Want to know how to get the most out of our community?

Hey, I'm Michelle and I wanted to tell you about our community and how it's packed full of useful information, answers and has a horde of active members waiting to help or just to say hey! We know forums can be a little daunting at times, so here are some of my useful tips to help you get the most out of the community:

Get Searching

Search is the quickest way to locate the information you're after, use the big red box above. If you don't find what you're after you can always post your own question.

Search now

Get stuck in

Prefer to jump straight into the community? Checkout the yellow "browse" tab over on the left hand side, here you'll find the entire community at your fingertips.

Try now

Join the party!

Had a peek around the community already? If so you'll no doubt want to join us, just hit register below and follow the instructions. Don't worry I'll still be here to help once you've registered.

Register now

Daily crashes lowering speeds

72 REPLIES
Highlighted
RYLGEG
Team Player

Hi, I have had a problem for the past 5 months that is yet to be resolved. The fibre internet was fine for over a year up until December when I started getting daily crashes while live streaming. At first it was lowering my download speed to around 12mb and upload to 2mb but now when it crashes it is always around 30mb download with 2mb upload. I have to restart the DSL on the router admin page to get back to the usual 7mb upload speed and then it crashes in the evening resetting it to 2mb meaning I can't live stream. It won't go back to around 7mb until after 12 hours or so.

I've have messaged TalkTalk multiple times on twitter but the problem hasn't been fixed.

Thanks for any help.

KeithFrench
Community Star

If you use a PS4 or an XBox for the streaming & you have the HG633 router, then this is a problem with the router's firmware, which is easily fixed.

I will pass this now for you to one of TalkTalk's OCEs to pick your thread up and they will sort it for you.

The forum is not real time 24/7 support, so depending on how busy they are & how many are working at any one time, this can take 24 - 48 hrs. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. So the fewer entries you make on your thread now, the sooner they will pick it up.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TT will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Community Team

Hi RYLGEG

I'm sorry to hear this. The line test is clear so I've changed your router firmware to see how the connection compares.

Please can you retest and let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Debbie

RYLGEG
Team Player

It's crashed twice this morning while I am streaming on the computer, on was just there at 12:30pm. The upload speed is still same which is unusual but the crashes aren't exactly conveinient.

Community Team

Hi RYLGEG

Apologies, the two drops in connection this morning will be when I completed the line test and when I changed the firmware.

Please can you continue to monitor the connection this afternoon and let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Debbie

RYLGEG
Team Player

Hi

It crashed tonight at 21:33, upload speed was lowered to 2mb again.

Community Team

Hi RYLGEG,

I'm really sorry to hear this. I've re-run the line test which is still clear, however I can see re-connections on the line.

Does your master socket have a test socket? Do you have an alternative router to test with?

Thanks

RYLGEG
Team Player

I have used the test socket before to test the speeds, and I also tried having it in the test socket all night. I don't have another router to test it with unfortunately.

Community Team

Hi RYLGEG,

Ok, would you like us to send a replacement router for testing purposes to rule out any issues with the current router?

Thanks

RYLGEG
Team Player

Yes that would be nice. WIll that cost money?

Community Team

Hi RYLGEG

There will be no charge for this router. The replacement router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

RYLGEG
Team Player

Hello, I have the replacement router but my internet still crashes.

Community Team

Hi 

I've raised this to networks for further investigation.

Thanks

Karl. 

RYLGEG
Team Player

Hello,

Thanks for the help, but I'm still having the same problems. I can't access some websites now unless i restart my router, including my routers address! So I have to turn it off to restart it now to get the speeds I need. I've had this problem for 5 months now and I surely thought it would be fixed.

Ewan.

Community Team

Hi 

Our faults team are advising they cant detect any problems, Can you confirm that you are still connected to the Test socket? If not can you connect to the test socket and leave it there while the investigations continue. 

RYLGEG
Team Player

Hi

I never had it connected to the test socket to begin with. It's in there now.

RYLGEG
Team Player

At the moment I haven't been able to live stream for the past two days. On the router i can clearly see that the connection is able to give me enough speed but it isn't. Are TalkTalk capping my speeds? I never knew you could do this. It also hasn't crashed in two days but I haven't been able to do anything with such a slow upload speed.

Upstream line rate (kbit/s):
Downstream line rate (kbit/s):
Maximum upstream rate (kbit/s):
Maximum downstream rate (kbit/s):
RYLGEG
Team Player

Three days later and the speeds are still shocking. Same as above where I can see the maxmium speeds available but they are not being given. I rely on a good upload speed to make an income but I haven't been able to use it for the past 5 days.

Upstream line rate (kbit/s):
Downstream line rate (kbit/s):
Maximum upstream rate (kbit/s):
Maximum downstream rate (kbit/s):
Community Team

Hi RYLGEG, the latest line test shows 23.5 mbps down and 1.9mpbs up. Those stats for the line are below the minimum we'd expect for your line. I need to raise a fault ticket for you. Please add a mobile number to your community profile and I'll get the ticket on it's way.

Are you a Gamer? Have Standard Broadband ? Why not sign up for our latest Trial

RYLGEG
Team Player

Hi, I phoned TalkTalk support a week ago and spoke to someone about the problems we are having. He said he detected a fault on the line so he sent out a phone line engineer. The engineer didn't detect any faults on the line and told us to phone again for a broadband engineer. I haven't done so as we have had a broadband engineer out before so it would have been a waste of time. We've been having this problem for six months now and it was fine for a year and a half so i'm not sure what is wrong. Absolutely shocking service, if the problem doesn't get fixed soon I'll have to stop paying the bill as the service being provided isn't suitable.

Thanks.