cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Decrease in speed since renewing my contract.....why?

30 REPLIES 30
Highlighted
Team Player

Prior to renewing my contract with TalkTalk a few weeks ago, my 'faster fibre' package was delivering a consistent 37mbps. Immediately (within hours!) after renewing the contract the download speed dropped to a best of 34mbps. Since then it has been gradually decreasing further and is now averaging just 30-31mbps.

I've made numerous calls to the technical section and they've determined that there is no line fault, but no-one will give me a reason as to why my speed has dropped despite the only 'change' being contract renewal. All that's said to me is that they are achieving my minimum contract speed and given that, I have no reason for complaint. I'm really not satisfied with this, particularly as I've been an AOL/TalkTalk customer since 2014.

Can anyone cast any light on this issue please?

Thanks.....

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @5guitars ,

It would be worth going to the Service Centre to do a test on your phone line (I know you said they have already tested it, but can't hurt to get a second opinion !), this will indicate if there is currently a fault on your line that might be affecting speeds. You can also access this from the ‘My Account’ site.

Also, if you have a landline phone can you check to see if that is working normally (i.e. you have a clear dial tone and no noise on the line).

For one of the TalkTalk staff on this forum to be able to look into this you will need to update your community profile to include your name, landline telephone number that your TalkTalk service is provided on & an alternative contact number. This will allow them to identify you, and they will then be able to help.

Don't post any personal details in this thread, just add them to your community profile.

Then they will hopefully be able to respond to this post tomorrow.

Highlighted
Team Player

Thanks for the response, skynet.

Since noticing this drop in speed, I've carried out those checks in 'service centre' several times and it doesn't flag up any issues.

Similarly, my phone line is clear and noise-free. It's as though my broadband speed has been deliberately limited for some reason.

As you suggest, I've now provided contact details in my Personal Profile. I do hope someone at talktalk can now remedy this, as I've got nowhere despite numerous calls and hours spent futilely repeating the same question to them and just being stonewalled.

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi 5guitars,

Line test is passing and router is in sync at 34.0Mbps. 

How many telephone sockets do you have? Do you have anything connected to your telephone socket(s) in addition to your router?

Does your master socket have a Test Socket?

Thanks 
Chris

Highlighted
Team Player

Thanks for getting back to me Chris.

Only have the one socket (latest type -- Master Socket 5C --  fitted by OpenReach about 18 months ago) and just ONE telephone connected in addition to the router. As far as I know, it has a Test Socket.

Regards,

Stephen.

Highlighted

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for the information 

Your line profile isn't limiting your speed so could you switch your router off and leave it off for at least 30 minutes then switch back on and retest.

If there's no speed improvement could you try connecting your router to the test socket 

Thanks

Chris

Highlighted
Team Player

Hello again Chris,

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll try the router switch-off now, but it'll be tomorrow before I can try plugging into the master test socket.

I'll let you know the results in due course.

Thanks again,

Stephen. 

Highlighted
Highlighted
Team Player

'Morning Chris!

Right......yesterday switching off the router for 30 minutes and then back on, has resulted in a slight increase in download speed. It was hovering around 30 - 32 (and had dipped to 26 at one point), but is now testing at just over 34 over 3 separate tests.

I have also just tried plugging the router into the test socket, but couldn't get the indicator light to stop flashing yellow and go blue, despite waiting 5 minutes. Any ideas on this and also my initial query as to why my speed dropped from a steady 37.6 just by renewing my contract?

Thanks,

Stephen.

Highlighted

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for trying this. Is there a dial tone at the test socket? Did you change routers at all after upgrading?

Thanks

Highlighted
Team Player

Hello Michelle,

Thanks for your message. Just tried plugging the 'phone into the test socket and there IS a dial tone. However, just noticed now that there is some background noise/hiss on the line, whether plugged into the test socket or the 'normal' one.

Regards,

Stephen. 

Highlighted
Team Player

PS......Still using the same router that I was provided with upon switching to 'faster fibre' some months back.

Regards,

Stephen.

Highlighted

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for trying and confirming this. Is the phone corded or cordless? I've re-run the line test which is still clear, however I can see that the sync speed has been varying. Do you have any extension sockets? Is the router usually connected at the master socket?

Thanks

Highlighted
Team Player

Hello again Michelle!

Really appreciate your efforts in trying to sort this out.

My landline phone is cordless. There is only the one socket in the house (Open Reach Master Socket 5C.....the one with the router & phone ports side-by-side) and both the router & phone line go directly into this. No extensions.

Yes, I've also noticed the speed fluctuating in the last hour or so. Seems to be hovering around 30 at the moment.

Regards,

Stephen.

Highlighted

Hi Stephen,

Sorry for the delay. I've re-checked the connection stats again and I can see that the sync speed initially increased then started to reduce again. The speed then stabilised for 2 days and then 2 days ago looks like it has started to increase again. Would it be possible to not make any additional changes to the set up now and not reboot the router and we can re-check the connection stats again in a few days as it looks like DLM may still be optimising the connection at the moment?

Thanks

Highlighted
Team Player

Hello Michelle,

That's no problem at all. I will not reboot the router again until I hear anything further from you. Will you get back to me or should I make contact again?

Thanks,

Stephen.

Highlighted

Hi Stephen,

Thanks, would it be possible to post back on your thread on Thursday night/Friday morning and we can re-check this again?

Thanks

Highlighted
Team Player

Will do that on Friday morning Michelle.

Regards,

Stephen.

Highlighted
Highlighted
Team Player

Good morning Michelle!

Just checked my speeds and the download is 34.8 Mbps & upload is 9 Mbps.

Regards,

Stephen.