cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Decrease in speed since renewing my contract.....why?

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Thanks Stephen. Are the speeds now approximately what they were before you renewed your contract?

Chris

Highlighted
Team Player

Hello again Chris,

Before I renewed my contract, my download speed was consistently 37.6 Mbps.....and was never lower whenever I tested. I was even asked to do a test minutes before I renewed and it was that figure. Why it has dropped and become unstable as well, is what is puzzling me.

Before I agreed to renew with TalkTalk I asked if they could provide an actual improvement on my line and from the nearby cabinet over that figure and I was told that with the 'fibre speed boost,' added, that would be achievable....however the opposite....a speed drop.......has been the case! Not too thrilled overall with this, especially as I've been with AOL/TalkTalk since June 2004....over 16 years!

Regards,

Stephen.

Highlighted

Are you sure the 37.6Mbps was throughput speed and not sync speed, looking back your sync speed before contract renewal was virtually the same as it is now. The speed boost just removes the 40Mbps cap from your line but as your sync speed wasn't reaching 40Mbps then the speed boost wouldn't increase your speed but it shouldn't really have a negative effect either.

Chris

Highlighted
Team Player

All I can tell you Chris, is that the 37.6 download figure is what was showing on the TalkTalk broadband speed test facility, that I've always used to check my speeds and is the one that I'm still using to provide speed info. to you.

It's a shame that it wasn't explained to me during the pre-renewal 'negotiations,' that adding the speed boost was unlikely to improve on this 37.6 figure as any increase wouldn't be achieved under 40 Mbps. They were aware that my then current speed was 37.6. You're the first person to explain to me that the boost consisted of reducing a 40 Mbps cap!

However, I am still perplexed as to why (sorry to be pedantic!) my speed has decreased since renewal.

Regards,

Stephen.

Highlighted

Well the sync speed difference is so marginal that it can fluctuate by this much just due to slight variation in noise levels on the line. I suppose it's also possible that the 80Mbps profile that you are now on just by the fact that it's a different profile with slightly different parameters, is causing the router to sync at a slightly different speed.

Your could try removing the boost, this may improve the speed slightly but it's difficult to tell without trying it

Chris

Highlighted
Team Player

Removing the boost was suggested to me Chris and I tried that last week and it made no difference, so I had it re-instated.

Can you tell me, is it possible in the future that the speed available to my line will increase, over and above what it is now?

Regards,

Stephen.

Highlighted

Hi Stephen,

I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you. How long was the boost removed for as it can take DLM a couple of days to optimise the connection again following this? I can't see your connection stats at the moment, has there been any improvement over the weekend?

Thanks

Highlighted
Team Player

Hello Michelle,

Just an update.....

Download speed seems to hover at around 32.8 - 34.6 Mbps (still down from the consistent 37.6 Mbps pre. contract renewal), but upload speed has now dropped to an average of 6, down from over 9 Mbps previously.

If it isn't a silly question, will higher speeds over my line become available to me at any stage in the near future, or will I always be stuck with these kind of figures from my TalkTalk service?

Regards,

Stephen.

Highlighted

Hi Stephen,

It's possible that fibre to the premises will become available in future which should make much higher speeds possible 

Chris

Highlighted
Team Player

Hello again Chris,

Thanks for getting back to me.

So the maximum speed that the nearest cabinet (400m)

can deliver to my line will always be around 34 Mbps download, whether my ISP was TalkTalk or not?

Regards,

Stephen.

Highlighted

It's difficult to say, the speed may vary but I can't really see there being a big difference 

Chris