Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Disable UPnP

26 REPLIES 26
Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hello all, I'm trying to improve my ps4 online experience And have read various posts over the internet stating that disabling upnp on my router could help on a certain game im playing. However on my router (fast 5364) there is no option to do this. I believe @OCE_Debbie has solved this for someone earlier this year, are you able to help please 🙂 thanks, Tom

Tomejarman
Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi  Tom.

Could I just confirm, are you experiencing any specific issues when gaming at the moment?

Thanks

Highlighted
Popular Poster

@OCE_Michelle   Yes i am, input delay/game not being very responsive at all. A lot of the time, commands are ignored completely and i have tried everything possible from new a controller, console and even game before looking into my broadband settings. Even in the early hours when usually it was perfect, for over 6 weeks has been poor. 

Tomejarman
Highlighted

Hi Tom,

Would you like us to take a look at your connection to see if we can see any issues? Are you also connected wired or wireless?

Can you please update your community profile to include your:

• Name
  • Telephone number
  • Alternative contact number

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated. 

Thanks

Highlighted
Popular Poster

@OCE_Michelle  Done! Umm you could if you like, I have been trying since sunday to get upnp disabled though as i believe (I'm far from being an expert) it is overriding the port forwards i have manually entered specifically for my game? Various posts online to suggest simply turning it off fixed the issue for them. Thanks 

Tomejarman
Highlighted

Hi Tom,

Thanks. I've checked the connection stats and they look ok and the line test is clear.

@KeithFrench - Would you be able to offer advice about UPnP and port forwarding?

Thanks

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @Tomellisjarman_ 

@OCE_Michelle has asked me to help you. There is no option to disable uPnP in the router's UI currently, it is permanently enabled. I have requested that this feature should be user-configurable.

That said, I cannot see how uPnP will have any impact on the performance of your PS4, neither can I see that port forwarding could have any impact either.

What sort of connection to the router (wireless or Ethernet) is your PS4 using? How do other wired & wireless devices behave? Please can you copy & paste the xDSL stats from the router by once having logged into it, going to:-

Dashboard > See internet settings > Manage advanced settings > TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub > Device Info > General

Then scroll down to the xDSL section.

What does a speed test report from the PS4? Not really knowing the capabilities of the PS4, can you do three traceroutes to google.co.uk at different times of the day?

Thanks.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Popular Poster

@KeithFrench  Thanks for your response. Can i first point you in the direction of this thread? Seems nishaa had the exact same problem but was able to get upnp switched off by talktalk? Am i missing something? 

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Broadband/Switch-off-UPnP-on-Sagemcom-FAST-5364-router/td-p/2442...

Tomejarman
Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @Tomellisjarman_ 

That link is not valid.

Both uPnP & port forwarding affect connections coming in from the internet to connect to a device such as your PS4. They route the incoming connection from the public IP address of the router, through the router's firewall and on to the private IP address of your device (192.168.1.X).

From an IP networking perspective, I cannot see how they can have any impact on performance, whereas the information that I have requested from you, has everything to do with the performance issues you are having.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

Popular Poster

@KeithFrench  @OCE_Michelle  I have tagged you both in the thread where the user was able to have it turned off. I wont be going down the route of doing more tests as this is all I've done all week to live chat staff only to be told there’s nothing wrong. Getting to the point where it’s hard not to sound rude because there is clearly something wrong. Gaming feels completely out of sync and my opponent is always half a second ahead of me making it impossible to play as well as i used to be able to. Its nothing to do with my console or controller etc because i have used it at my parents house who are with BT and the gameplay was perfect

Tomejarman
Highlighted
Community Star

I will ask the OCEs to do this.

Keith

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Thank you, appreciate it. 

Tomejarman
Highlighted

Hi,

I've raised this to our Products Team to see what they advise and I'll let you know once I receive an update back.

Thanks

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Thankyou @OCE_Michelle 

Tomejarman
Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi @OCE_Michelle  did you get a response? 

Tomejarman
Highlighted

Hi Tom,

I'm sorry for the delay. Our Products Team have advised that we can't remove this and they have tested routers for gaming and found no issues. If you are still experiencing latency then please let us know and we can look into this further.

Thanks

Highlighted
Popular Poster

@OCE_Michelle  It’s nice to know you will do something for one customer but not for another. I’ll be sure to join a different ISP later in the year when my contract expires. Thanks

Tomejarman
Highlighted
Community Star

HI @Tomellisjarman_ 

I think you have misunderstood what @OCE_Michelle has tried to tell you.

The products team have advised it is not technically possible to disabled UPnP. I have asked to make this a user-selectable feature, but that would require a firmware update for this. Until such a firmware version is released, it cannot be turned off.

Where did Michelle say that she would help other customers & not you?

I have advised you all along, despite some misinformation that might be in other threads, even if uPnP could be disabled, it would not affect your problem.

I have tried to help diagnose your problem in an earlier post, if you chose to ignore my help, that is your choice.

Keith

Highlighted
Popular Poster

@KeithFrench I understand that you don’t believe it would have any effect on my gameplay and i cant argue with you from a technical point of view because i simply dint have the knowledge that you and the products team have. I do however find it very hard to ignore probably near 20-30 posts online by different people stating that it did 100% have a positive effect on their gameplay. Maybe i should buy a different router which allows me to play around with this setting? Even if i decided to ignore upnp, what would you recommend to combat this 1 second delay im experiencing? I cant even put it down to high traffic at peak times because its even bad at 2am when nobody is awake.. I’m baffled and fed up. I play wired, 36download, 6upload. My ping is between 30-32ms. 

Tomejarman
Highlighted
Community Star

The only advantage in disabling uPnP is that it makes the router more secure & it is for this reason that I have requested to make it user-configurable.

You are perfectly entitled to purchase a 3rd party router if you want to.

Keith