Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Disabling wired connection

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi, 

I have the FAST5364 router (version 3.00) running software version SG4K10002600t.

I am trying to find a way of disabling the wired Ethernet connection or restrict certain wired devices from connecting or using the internet.

It seems that, from the admin webpage, the wireless connections can be disabled (both 2.4 and 5GHz) and devices trying to connect via wifi can be blocked based on MAC address (MAC address filtering).

Is there any way to stop wired connection?  (other than physical disconnection).  Also does the MAC address filtering only work for wireless connections?

Alternatively can the firewall settings be used to deny or allow a particular device based on it's IP address?  if so can anyone suggest an example rule?  

Many thanks

Highlighted
Community Star

There was never any option to do this in this router. No firewall rule will help this.

Have you looked at HomeSafe in MyAccount?

MAC address filtering has always been to prevent unauthorised WiFi access, although these days it offers little protection as MAC addresses can easily be spoofed. Far better is a strong WiFi passphrase.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi Keith,

Many thanks for the quick response.  I was sort of expecting this answer.  I know MAC address filtering is not very secure but I find it odd that it is only provided for WiFi and not for wired connections.

I'll have a look at HomeSafe but reading some of the reviews on here I am not sure it will offer what I need.

Cheers

Highlighted
Community Star

The trouble is that a wired connection is expected to be an authorised connection as it has to be physically connected. MAC address filtering was introduced to bolster early WiFi security.

I think the DSL-3782 router sort of offers what you want, but I need to check on this later today. If it is this router that offers this you can prevent access based on MAC addresses to the internet from wired as well as wireless connections. However, this means that they can still access local devices when blocked. I must point out though this is not based on any time schedule, it is either blocked or it isn't, although this could be manually changed in the router config.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they?