Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Disconnects and noise on line

21 REPLIES 21
fr8ys
Community Star

After several diconnects this evening, i have run a test via my account which shows stability issues. I also have nose on the line when using the phone.

My speeds are also reduced from my usual rock solid 40/10 mbs.

Could a line check be run please to check for issues.

Thank you.

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps others and saves OCE's time to look at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve.
Community Team

Hi fr8ys

I'm really sorry to hear this.

I've completed a line test which has detected a possible fault. Is the noise still present if you connect a corded handset at the test socket with the router removed from the line?

Is your router currently connected at the test socket?

Thanks

Debbie

fr8ys
Community Star

@OCE_Debbie , we don't have a corded phone, but with the router disconnected the noise is still present.

The router is connected to my socket it has been for the last 20 years. I doesn't seem to be a test socket (it's a small one about 68cm wide as per the identification page I found) and it is wired in under a worktop counter so I can't get to it easily either.

We have never used the socket nearest the door which may be a test socket, but as said we don't have a corded phone to test anyway.

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps others and saves OCE's time to look at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve.
fr8ys
Community Star

Oh, and our phones are only 3 weeks old.

Community Team

Hi fr8ys

Would it be possible to connect the phone at the master socket (nearest the door) if this is a test socket?

If the noise is still present then I can escalate this straight over to our Network Team.

Thanks

Debbie

fr8ys
Community Star

Well at least I've found out I don't have a master socket!

The one nearest the door is just a blank faceplate covering a mass of wires, and the first socket in line from there is the same as the one the router and phone are already in. no socket inside when faceplate removed.

Community Team

Hi fr8ys

Thanks for your reply.

I have passed this fault over to our Network Team for investigation and I will post back on this thread as soon as I receive further information.

Thanks

Debbie

fr8ys
Community Star

Thanks, @OCE_Debbie 

Community Team
Community Team

Hi fr8ys

This fault has been passed to Openreach and is under investigation with a line engineer.

We should receive further updates within the next 48hrs.

Thanks

Debbie

fr8ys
Community Star
Many thanks Debbie
Community Team
fr8ys
Community Star

Hi @OCE_Debbie,

Any news yet please?

Community Team

Hi fr8ys

I've requested an update on this fault and I will post back on this thread as soon as I receive further information.

Thanks

Debbie

Community Team

Hi fr8ys,

I'm sorry for the delay. Our Network Team have advised that the engineer is due to work on this fault at some point this morning.

Thanks

fr8ys
Community Star

@OCE_Michelle, thanks for the update.

Community Team
fr8ys
Community Star

@OCE_Michelle @OCE_Debbie 

Engineer sorted this morning. There is probably a break or corrosion in the line affecting one pair of cables. He switched to the other pair and noise has gone.

He will keep the fault open for line engineer to check the cable and possibly replace this. Could you please check that this has happened as if the "spare" also breaks or corrodes there will be issues later on. Thank you.

Whilst here he also fitted a master socket so he could test properly and ensure the fault was outside the property, which it was.

Community Team

Hi fr8ys

Thanks for keeping us updated 🙂

I've asked our Network Team to check that this work has been completed. I will post back on this thread as soon as I receive further information.

Thanks

Debbie

Community Team

Hi fr8ys

Openreach closed this fault on 27/07, no further work is required.

Have you experienced any further issues since the engineer visit?

Thanks

Debbie