Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Does TT Have G.INP enabled on their network

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Problem Solver

And if so is there a way to tell if my cabinet has it enabled?

Fritz

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi Fritz, an interesting question which lead me to learn a few bits more. Probably not is my answer and if yes you would probably need a third party modem, of which you know there are a multitude of suppliers. 

Your post has been flagged for assistance and you should hear shortly, I look forward to reading the official answer.

I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.
Highlighted
Community Star

Fritz you might find this interesting

You can check if your router is using G.998.4 / G.INP from a telnet command as follows. Replace 192.168.1.1 with your own router's IP address if you have changed it:

1. On Windows go to the Start menu, select Run and on there type "cmd" and click OK, or if the Run option is not present, type "cmd" in the "Start Search" textbox above the Start button and press enter. Other operating systems also have an equivalent telnet program or app.
  2. Type "telnet 192.168.1.1"
  3. Enter the username of "admin", press enter, then enter the password for the router.
  4. Enter "sys ver" to show the firmware version and modem code details.
  5. Enter "vdsl status more" which will show the following:

The router firmware you can see highlighted is version 3.7.8 and the modem code is 05-06-07-05-01-07 (which can also be written 567517).

The ReTxEnable setting relates to G.998.4 support, if the value is "1" then it is active on the line. 0 (zero) indicates that it is not active. The right hand column is downstream (your received data) and the left hand is upstream.

Type "exit" at the telnet prompt to close the session

I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.
Highlighted
Problem Solver

Hey thanks for the above, it's very helpful.

It seems that either TT or my cabinet does not support G.INP.  In my case whichever one is true is irrelevant really. The reason I asked is because I'm currently using a 3rd party router and I'm in the lets have a closer look at the detailed settings available stage with it. I've had some of the options set incorrectly, such as it has it's own DLM enabled by default and a quick Google said turn it off if on Openreach because of conflicts with their DLM. Another option is to enable/ disable G.INP which again I had to Google but still didn't understand what to do. I guess if it's not enabled by TT or the cabinet make then I might as well set it to disabled regardless.

Thanks again for the pointers.

Fritz 

EDIT: Just thought I'd better mention that I think the telnet commands that Divsec gave above give you root access to the linux OS on your router. Now I assume that its read only but seeing as its linux it may be read/ write so if anyone tries this be very careful what you type into the CMD window.

Highlighted
Problem Solver

A quick update...After digging deeper into my WAN stats it seems that G.INP is enabled on the TT network. I've enabled it on my router (3rd party so not strictly relevant to this forum) to see if speeds increase and will report back.

I hasten to add that this post is really just idle curiosity related specifically to my situation.

For those who haven't got the faintest idea what it's about G.INP is a different form of error correction that can significantly improve line speeds.

Is there a way to find out if the Sagem 5364 has this enabled and if not whether subsequent firmware updates will do so? It would seem odd that if this is enabled on TT lines (with a Hauwei cabinet for it to be useful) for the hub not to support it. 

Fritz