Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Does the WiFi HUB select best channel?

7 REPLIES 7
clemenzina
Team Player

We've been told by our local PC repair shop that the problem one laptop has with our wifi is related to the crowded channel we're on.  I understand that the BT router automatically selects the best channel, so is my new TalkTalk WiFi HUB doing the same?  If not, how do I change it manually? 

(I didn't find an answer under the Hub info.)

Online bird-cam fanatic.
Divsec
Community Star
Hi Clemenzina, usually routers select the best channel on startup and stick with the decision, not great really! You can set the channel choice manually and this is done by logging in to the hub.
https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Change-your-Wi-Fi-name-and-password/ta-p/2204668 this link should get you there.
It is worth giving your 5g SSID a slightly different name to help differentiate the two.
When you set the channel s try to keep the 5g channel below 50, above there and some devices struggle to connect.
Your post has also been flagged for assistance and you should hear during today
Regards Divsec, I don't work here, know little, and have too many opinions.
clemenzina
Team Player

Thank you, Divsec, I've had a wander thru the settings but can't find anything about channels.

We're puzzled, anyway, why one laptop should have a problem when others don't.

Online bird-cam fanatic.
skygrowler
Insightful One

@clemenzina  go to my wifi > see wifi settings > manage advanced settings > scroll down and you will see 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz click on the gearwheel top right and you will be able to set your channels manually there .

don't forget to save changes :smileyface:

clemenzina
Team Player

Thank you, skygrowler - found them 🙂

Another question now...

Both 2.4 and 5 are set to Auto. 

How do I know what channel is currently being used, so's to know what to change it to?

Will changing the channels via one laptop disrupt other laptops which are downloading live streams?

This is all rather mystifying.

Online bird-cam fanatic.
skygrowler
Insightful One

@clemenzina wrote:

Thank you, skygrowler - found them 🙂

Another question now...

Both 2.4 and 5 are set to Auto. 

How do I know what channel is currently being used, so's to know what to change it to?

Will changing the channels via one laptop disrupt other laptops which are downloading live streams?

This is all rather mystifying.

@clemenzina  if you have a mobile phone ,download a wifi analyzer app to find out what is the best setting .

changing the channels will momentarily disrupt a download but it should pick up where it left off .

if you don't have a mobile app you can probably change channels by trial and error but it will be very time consuming. 

channels 1 and 36 are probably a good starting point .

good luck

clemenzina
Team Player

My brother has the app and is "working on it", it's his laptop that has the problem.

I'm very grateful, skygrowler, for your guidance.

Online bird-cam fanatic.
skygrowler
Insightful One

No problem, I hope you get it sorted . Just remember that not all laptops are equal 😊