Need help?

Double NAT - how to solve?

ANSWERED
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
bigblockofcheese
Popular Poster

Hi,

I have a TalkTalk WiFi Hub on Fibre Broadband (FAST5364 3.00 SG4K10002600t).

To solve the problem of WiFi blackspots in my house, I've been using it with the WiFi network turned off, my intention being to use it only as a *modem*.

I have a separate Whole Home Mesh WiFi System (the Nova MW6) which acts as the WiFi router - basically there are three cube-like units, the first plugs into the TalkTalk modem via Ethernet, and then it broadcasts the internet to the other two units positioned elsewhere in the home. The Tenda set up also allows Guest Networks and other useful features.

This set up has worked perfectly for months.

However, I noticed today that my Xbox is reporting I have "Double NAT", so I am wondering whether I should do something to resolve this... or leave things be!

My understanding is it means both the TalkTalk modem and the Tenda Nova are trying to do NAT, whereas only one should. 

As I want the Tenda Nova WiFi router to be doing the NAT, I need to change something in the advanced settings of the TalkTalk modem to tell it to handover NAT duties to the Tenda Nova.

This is sometimes called Bridge Mode, or Modem Only Mode, but I cannot see those options in the TalkTalk modem.

Has anybody got any suggestions of where to look, or what to change, so that the TalkTalk modem can hand off NAT duties to my Tenda Nova?

Thanks!

Highlighted
KeithFrench
Community Star

Normally this is easily avoided by putting your mesh into bridge mode. The TalkTalk router must be able to route packets otherwise nothing will ever get out to the internet.

You can do double NAT if there is something on the internet that needs to access some sort of server on your local network, connections out from a local device to the internet are unaffected.

I have never tried this on the hub, but have done with other router's in the past. I cannot easily do it now, as I do not have the kit that you obviously have. However, I will work with you on this to see if it can be done.

First off please can you draw up a network diagram of your home setup with all IP addresses on it. Then please PM this to me, so as I can better understand your requirements.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
bigblockofcheese
Popular Poster

Hi Keith,

Thanks for your response, I'd hoped you'd spot this - you seem to be a bit of an expert in this area.

Putting my mesh into Bridge Mode would, I believe, pass the work of assigning IP addresses to the modem, along with the mesh's ability to hand over WiFi connectivity from one base station to another. Also, in Bridge Mode, the mesh's feature set is significantly reduced (i.e. no Guest Network, no UPNP, etc).

I've done a basic network diagram which I will PM to you now - thanks.

Highlighted
KeithFrench
Community Star

Thanks for that, I will look at that & get back to you later today.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

Highlighted
KeithFrench
Community Star

I have just sent you a PM requesting a small amount more information.

Keith

Highlighted
bigblockofcheese
Popular Poster
Thanks, replied via PM.
Highlighted
KeithFrench
Community Star

All sorted via PMs.

Keith

Highlighted
KeithFrench
Community Star
Solution

Double NAT was just a warning, no NAT/Port Forwarding required.

Keith