would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Download Speed Dropped

33 REPLIES 33
dub_dee
Participant

Hi,

I have had a consistent download speed of 38mbps for over a year until recently (approx 1-2 weeks) it has dropped to 25/27mbps. I am on the Faster Fibre package with a minimum guaranteed speed of 35mbps.

I have called the tech team and don't seem to be getting anywhere with their standard survey type call e.g. yes I have unconnected all devices, performed multiple speed checks, I've not suddenly moved away from the exchange etc

Is there any way of getting an engineer to visit?

Community Team

Hi dub_dee,

I'm sorry to hear this. I've run a test on the line which has detected a potential router fault and the connection also looks unstable which can affect the broadband speed.

Do you have an alternative router that you can test with?

Thanks

dub_dee
Participant

Hi,

Yes I have tried the original HG633 router supplied and I'm getting the same reduced speed.

edit - I tried another speedtest and got 43mb down.

What could be causing this issue with my router? As far as I'm aware the D7000 should provide the same, if not better performance?

Thanks,

Community Team

Hi dub_dee,

Thanks for the update. Just to confirm, how long was the HG633 router connected for? Would it be possible to re-connect the HG633 for 24-48hrs so we can see how the stability compares? If the connection remains stable then DLM should start to increase the sync speed.

We also have new firmware for this router which has stability and wireless improvements.

Thanks

dub_dee
Participant

OK I can try that - will the sync speed stay high once that router is removed?

Ultimately I'll need the Netgear router working at the correct speed as the ports on the HG633 aren't fast enough + too little for my requirements and I've had this router working fine for nearly a year.

Edit - I just plugged the Neatgear router back in and got 48mb down - this is all very strange!

Community Team

Hi dub_dee,

I can see that the sync speed is varying. Does your master socket have a test socket?

If it does have a test socket then would it be possible to connect the HG633 router to the test socket for 24hrs so we can see how the sync speed compares? We can then also update the firmware.

Thanks

dub_dee
Participant

Hi,

Yes I have a test socket. Although I do seem to be getting a constant speed again.

Is it worth plugging the old router in for 24 hours then switching it out again?

Community Team

Hi dub_dee,

If possible then it would be worth testing the router at the test socket for 24-48hrs to see if the sync speed remains consistent. If the speed does drop again then please could you try the alternative router as this will help to rule out any issues with the current router.

Thanks

dub_dee
Participant

Hello - hate to bring this back up again but I'm having worse speeds than last time I created this thread. I'm dropped to average of 16mb down.

I've put the original Talk Talk router back for now to see if it fixes the issue - no luck so far.

Coud you please test the line again?

Thanks

Community Team

Hi dub_dee,

I'm sorry to hear this and I'll take a look now. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault. Are you running this test wired or wireless?

Could you try switching the router off for a full 30 minutes then run another speed test using the TalkTalk Speed Tester so we can see how the throughput speed compares.

Thanks

dub_dee
Participant

3rd time to bring this back up. My line speed is at 13mb down and 6mb up. 

Can you check the line? I’ve had the original router in and out it on the test socket and still no improvement after 24 hours. 

Community Team

Hi dub_dee,

I'm sorry to hear this. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault, however the connection does look very unstable.

Is the router still connected to the test socket at the moment? Is the voice service ok with no noise on the line? Do you have a different router that you could test with?

Thanks

dub_dee
Participant

Hi,

I have tested this with both the talk talk router and a D7000 Nighthawk (which is what I use usually).

No, it's not in the test socket at the moment as I was getting the exact same speeds.

I can't check voice as I don't have a home phone.

What's the next steps?

Thanks

Community Team

Hi dub_dee,

Thanks for the update. Would it be possible to re-connect the router back at the test socket so we can see how the stability compares?

Thanks

dub_dee
Participant

Yep,

To confirm:

I will connect to the test socket with the D7000 router. I will do this in the next 1hr 30min

How long do you need to test the stability?

Community Team

Hi dub_dee,

Thank you. Would it be possible to keep the router connected at the test socket for the next 24-48hrs so we can see if the connection remains stable and if DLM starts to increase the sync speed?

Thanks

dub_dee
Participant

Hi,

Yep ok - I will reply back in 48 hours

Cheers

Community Team
dub_dee
Participant
Hi,

I have seen no speed change. Please can you check again and advise on what to do next?

There’s obviously an issue if I was getting 40mb down consistently previously.

Thanks
Community Team

Hi dub_dee,

I've raised this to our network team for further investigation, can you bump the thread tomorrow and we'll check for updates 

Thanks
Chris