cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Download speed 25-33% slower than previously

42 REPLIES 42
Chat Champion

When I first received fibre broadband (March 2017), I was receiving download speeds up to approx 28-30mb. A wireless speed test I did in November came back at 26.2 down/7.95 up.

Last week, having attempted to download the BO4 beta coming in at 30+gb I noticed my speed was not as I expected and that I was only connected approx 20mb download.

I have since powered off the router (left for over a min), then also powered off and left for over 30mins. Currently, as per the router admin page, these are my connection stats:

Line Quality

Upstream line rate (kbit/s):5953
Downstream line rate (kbit/s):22638
Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB):5.7
Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB):6
Upstream interleave depth:1
Downstream interleave depth:1315
Line standard:VDSL2
Upstream line attenuation (dB):9
Downstream line attenuation (dB):22.2
Upstream output power (dBm):7
Downstream output power (dBm):12.1
Channel type:Interleaved
DSL up-time:2 days 13 hours 33 minutes 9 seconds

During the time I noticed the reduction in speed, I ran a check on the website: https://www.talktalk.co.uk/help/servicestatus/track-fault/results and it stated that I had a fault with my broadband and to call or chat to somebody. Chat was constantly busy so I ran somebody. That was a waste of time. At one point, he said he'd boosted my broadband and when I asked what he'd done, he said change the wireless channel!

I have seen work being done in my village on the green BT boxes and they also put some new ones in the village, not sure if I'm still connected to box 3 as I was?

I'd like to find out the following:
1) Why did the online checker say I had an issue with my boradband, when the 2 people I spoke to (verbally first, then via chat) didn't seem to be able to see why this was the case.
2) Why my speed has dropped from 28-30mb download to 20-22mb. Additionally, my upload had reached 7mb, but is now down approx 6mb.

If the answer to no.2 is based around DLM monitoring the line and finding that's the most stable setting etc, then at least that's an answer. I understand on fibre, you cannot set the attenuation etc as I had set on ADSL? Not sure if that's correct or not. Presume you don't traffic shape?

According to my router, my max speed should be:

Maximum upstream rate (kbit/s):5817 (so I'm getting more than that currently, just!)
Maximum downstream rate (kbit/s):31704

Any help/checks appreciated.

Cheers

Ezza

Highlighted
Community Star

The support team here will gladly look into this for you. It will help if you can check and confirm that these speeds are the same when connected at the test socket. And whether you have an alternative router to test with. Finally, as a precaution, if you can also test for any background noise on the landline.

Highlighted
Chat Champion

1) Another router > I don't have another I can test. Just the HG633 provided when I joined.

2) Test socket results (not really much different). I don't have anything else connected to the socket, extensions etc and it's quite a new socket:

Line Quality
Upstream line rate (kbit/s):5956
Downstream line rate (kbit/s):23726
Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB):5.8
Downstream interleave depth:1379
Downstream output power (dBm):12.2

3) Haven't noticed any phone line noise
Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Ezza1,

I'm sorry to hear this and I'll take a look into this for you now. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault. Just to confirm, how long has the router been connected at the test socket for as it can take between 24-48hrs for DLM to make changes to the speed if the connection remains stable?

Thanks

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Test socket was only connected last night, approx 5/5:15 ish when I reposted with the 2nd router stats.

As above, no noise noted on the phone line.

Cheers

Ezza

Highlighted

Hi Ezza1,

Ok thanks for confirming this. Could you bump your thread (request an update) tomorrow and we can re-check the connection stats to see if DLM has started to increase the sync speed?

Thanks

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Connection is just as it was in my last post when I reconnected it to the master socket. DSL Connection up for 2 days 42 mins.

What next? Can DLM be reset? Understand you might be able to do that remotely these days?

Cheers

Ezza

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Changed the microfilter this morning to see if that made any difference, results. Will leave another 48hrs again:

Upstream line rate (kbit/s):6037
Downstream line rate (kbit/s):24039
Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB):5.8
Downstream interleave depth:1399
Downstream output power (dBm):12.2
DSL up-time: 0 days 0 hours 11 minutes 36 seconds
Highlighted

Hi Ezza1,

Thanks for the update. I've re-checked the connection stats and I can see that DLM has increased the sync speed since my last post. How have you found the connection? Have you noticed any improvements?

Thanks

Highlighted
Chat Champion

We had a power cut on Saturday at 11pm and it then reconnected at 25.6mb.

So did that have anything to do with DLM or just the fact the connection reset itself after the power cut?

I did also make a call on Sat morning and the line was crackling a bit. I don't use the phone that often, so will try keep an eye on that.

Cheers

Ezza

Highlighted

Hi Ezza,

If the speed increased straight after this then it may have been due to the power cut. Noise/crackling on the line can affect the broadband connection.

Is the noise permanent or intermittent?

Thanks

Highlighted
Chat Champion

As we hardly use the phone, it's not easy to say but we're going to keep an eye on it.

Still connected at the same speed since the power cut Sat at 11pm, stats as below:

Upstream line rate (kbit/s):5988
Downstream line rate (kbit/s):25633
Downstream interleave depth:1487
Downstream output power (dBm):12.3
DSL up-time:3 days 14 hours 56 minutes 29 seconds

Out of curiosity, I ran anoter check on my line through here: https://www.talktalk.co.uk/help/servicestatus/status-check/results and it's still coming back with the result:
We've detected an issue with your broadband

But we need your help to fix it. Let’s talk about it via Live Chat.

Between 'Our Network' and 'Your home'.

So what test is it doing that's bringing back that result.

At the moment, every time I've reset the router, speed has gone up slightly, rather than DLM seemingly doing anything by itself, why is that happening?

Cheers

Ezza

Highlighted
Chat Champion

We hardly use the phone, so hard to say, but we'll keep an eye on it and feed back.

Line connected the same as it was on Saturday at 11pm after the power cut:

Upstream line rate (kbit/s):5988
Downstream line rate (kbit/s):25633
Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB):5.9
Downstream interleave depth:1487
DSL up-time: 3 days 15 hours 5 minutes 49 seconds

Out of curiosity I ran a test here: https://www.talktalk.co.uk/help/servicestatus/status-check/results and it still states:

We've detected an issue with your broadband
But we need your help to fix it. Let’s talk about it via Live Chat.

So what test is it doing to get that result?

At the moment, every time my router has been reset (by me or powercut), my speed has gone up slightly, rather than DLM ever seeming to do anything itself?

Cheers

Ezza
Highlighted

Hi Ezza1

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults but I can see re connections on the line. Your line is also in sync at 25.6mb.

Are you experiencing any drops in connection? Is the router at the test socket?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Reconnections since Sat at 11pm?

Phone/router still in the test socket since the earlier request in the post.

Cheers

Ezza

Highlighted

Hi Ezza,

I've re-checked the connection stats and the connection looks stable for almost 4 days and the sync speed is within the predicted speed range. How have you found the connection over the last few days?

Thanks

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Hello,

The connection seems pretty stable. I've tried a couple of different micro filters just to see that made a difference and not really.

So the only disconnections have been me swapping those over.

Current connection stats in the test socket still:

Upstream line rate (kbit/s):6076
Downstream line rate (kbit/s):24850
Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB):6
Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB):4.9
Downstream interleave depth:1443
Upstream line attenuation (dB):8.9
Downstream line attenuation (dB):22.1
Upstream output power (dBm):6.9
DSL up-time:8 days 0 hours 41 minutes 33 seconds

So, we're full circle back to my original question. I used to get 28-30mb download, but now I'm getting approx 22-25mb, why is this?

Cheers

Ezza
Highlighted

Hi

DLM can lower the line rate and copper section of lines can degrade over time, but DLM will choose the best profile to balance speed with stability.  As long as the speed remains within the predicted range for the line then the system is behaving as it should.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Highlighted
Team Player

Beware of being fobbed off by TalkTalk technical department on the Chat line. My problem is a speed reduction caused by a noisy line. This was explained to me by a BT Openreach engineer when I had the same problem a while ago.

This is how it goes: Noise on the line causes a drop in speed as it is trying to compensate for the interference. When the noise disappears or is cleared up the speed remains slow as it will not automatically reset. It has to be reset to its optimum value by (probably) BT Openreach.

The TalkTalk "technical" department only have a limited knowledge of this problem and will go through their standard procedure of sending a new router (unnecessary).

When I try to explain this to the technical department they do not listen. Neither do they refer back to historical data. I don't blame them really. They have limited knowledge and limited resources. They just have written procedures and the ability to keep on sending out new routers.

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi Ezza

You're relatively lucky. My download speed has been consistently 27-29 Mbps for about a year until it dropped to 9 Mbps about a week ago.

I know what the problem is and how it can be rectified but TT won't listen to what I have to say. All their "technical" team have is written procedures which they have to rigidly follow.

I had the same problem about a year ago.

The cause of the problem is noise on the line from dirty contacts on the BT master socket. This manifested itself by hearing crackling on the telephone. The noise causes the speed to drop to compensate.

The noise was removed by sliding the plug in and out of the socket. However the drop in speed remains and has to be reset back to its optimum value.

I'm not sure if the reset has to be done by TalkTalk or BT but I'm guessing it's BT as TT are reluctant to reset the speed (as it would cost them to call a BT Openreach engineer).

The above cause and solution was explained to me by a BT Openreach engineer.

The bad news is that TT will not listen to me and their solution (as always) is to send out another router. I now refuse to accept another router as it is a waste of time.

CaptJohn