Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Download speed 25-33% slower than previously

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi CaptJohn,

I'm sorry to hear this. Please can you create your own thread and we can look into this further for you.

Thanks

Highlighted
Team Player

Thanks

How do I start my own thread?

Regards

John

Highlighted
Team Player

I've just started a new thread on this.

Highlighted

Hi CaptJohn,

Thanks. I'll escalate your thread now and we'll pick this up ASAP.

Thanks

Highlighted
Chat Champion

This thread is an oldie but a goldie and still really the same.

Based on what CaptJohn said some time ago, is that correct and can my line be reset which might push my speed back up to where it was? My parents in the same village have just got fibre with Plusnet and they've got max speed for their package at 40mb download.

Current connection stats (still in the master socket, as it was):

Line Quality

Upstream line rate (kbit/s):
Downstream line rate (kbit/s):
Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
Upstream interleave depth:
Downstream interleave depth:
Line standard:
VDSL2
Upstream line attenuation (dB):
Downstream line attenuation (dB):
Upstream output power (dBm):
Downstream output power (dBm):
Channel type:
Interleaved
DSL up-time:
18 days 18 hours 19 minutes 58 seconds

Highlighted

Hi Ezza1,

I'm sorry to hear this and I'll take a look now. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault. Unfortunately we don't have the option to manually reset DLM as this has to be requested during an engineer visit as part of their investigation.

Just to confirm, what speeds were you originally receiving?

Thanks

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Hello,

Speeds were as per my previous posts and relate to the title.

I started with speeds of 28-30mb download. So now I've lost about 33% of my speed, which is quite considerable.

Cheers

Ezza

Highlighted

Hi Ezza,

Thanks for confirming. Could you also let us know if the router is still connected to the test socket at the moment and if you've recently tested with an alternative router and we can ask our Network Team to take a look at the drop in sync speed?

Thanks

Highlighted
Chat Champion

The router is permanently plugged in the test socket.

Unfortunately I don't have another fibre router to test.

Cheers

Ezza

Highlighted

Hi Ezza,

Ok, would you like us to send a replacement router for testing purposes to rule this out?

Thanks

Highlighted
Chat Champion

I wouldn't necessarily want you sending out a router for the sake of it, unless you think that's required? I have the HG633, so are the new routers improved?

Cheers

Ezza

Highlighted

Hi Ezza,

This would be either a HG633 or a 3782 router. Have you ever tested with an alternative router? If not then it may be worth testing with this first just before we pass this over to rule this out? 

Thanks

Highlighted
Chat Champion

This morning I've tried a new microfilter (to rule that out), no real difference.

Turned off the router and removed the power for approx 10 mins, no real difference.

It was connected at 21.5mb download before doing the above 2 actions, now at 22mb. Which is fairly standard stuff, never connects at exactly the same speed.

I remember when I was on ADSL (and you can check the threads) I'd agreed to be set at a certain db attenuation and DLM was switched off? Understand that's not the case with Fibre and DLM is always on, is that correct?

So what doesn't make sense to me, is if DLM has reduced my speed over time, why that can't be reset, so I can check the speed again and see where it settles?

If that's not an option before sending out another router to test, then suppose we'll have to go down that route?

Cheers

Ezza

Highlighted

Hi Ezza1

A DLM reset has to be completed by an Openreach engineer. I have sent a replacement router for testing, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection/speed compares with this router. We advise to allow DLM upto 48hrs to monitor the connection with the new router connected.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Connected the new router and basically no difference.

Stats before I swapped it were just under 20mb (it had disconnected itself since I changed the filter at the weekend) and now with the new router, it's exactly the same.

So my speed is now slower than it's ever been. To be honest, I have zero confidence in DLM because all it's done since I had Fibre is reduce my speed generally. How does DLM know the difference between a genuine line disconnect and someone turning off the router or trying a new filter etc? At least when I had a set line on ADSL, it didn't keep dropping speed as it has now. Not saying that I'd rather have ADSL speed, but I don't feel I'm getting what I had and should be getting.

According to the router stats, my max speed could be 32/33 mb. Less than 20mb as I now have is pretty pitiful.

The fact you cannot reset the line without a BT engineer call out, is presume why new routers are sent out, which I realise probably needs to be ruled out, but I knew was going to be a waste of time.

Not particularly happy.

Ezza

Highlighted

Hi Ezza1,

I'm sorry for the delay. I've asked our Network Team to take a look now and I'll let you know as soon as I receive an update back.

Thanks

Highlighted

Hi Ezza1,

Our Network Team has advised that the next step will be to arrange an engineer visit so I'm just sending you a Personal Message to confirm some details.

Please do not post any personal information on the Community, reply via Personal Message (PM) only.

Thanks

Highlighted
Chat Champion

PM response has been sent.

Cheers

Ezza

Highlighted

Hi Ezza1

Thanks for the Private Message. I have passed your availability for an engineer visit over to our Network Team and I will post back on this thread to confirm the date and time of this visit.

Debbie

Highlighted

Hi Ezza1

The engineer visit has been arranged for tomorrow 17/08 AM (8am - 1pm)

Please let us know how you get on following this visit.

Thanks

Debbie