Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Download speed has been reducing over the last few months

41 REPLIES 41
LazyFish5
Wizz Kid

Hi, Up until April I have experienced stable download speeds around 30-33Mb. Upload is around 5Mb. I have the medium fibre service. Since that time they have slowly fallen off to 20 to a maximum of 25-26Mb down and 5Mb up. I have also noticed that the connection has dropped several times and the IP address range assigned have jumped around from a stable 79.xx.xx.xx  for a year or so to 78.xx.xx.xx and 88.xx.xx.xx and 84.xx.xx.xx  the coincidence is that the speeds are slower than they were. I realise that IP address is assigned and not fixed.

I use a number of speedest sites including TT's own as well as the monthly test with ThinkBroadband where I can track the decline in performance.

Using My Account and running a connection test it shows that there is a performance issue. I have tried an online chat session and given up as it's so s-l-o-w as the agent is dealing with multiple enquiries no doubt.

As to what is connected - In 2013 TT provided an OpenReach fibre modem and TT HG533 router. These relics were replaced and currently I have a Draytek Modem, Ubiquiti USG, Cloud controller and Switch to PoE AP's which also allow me to keep an eye on my network in detail. Whilst I realise this isn't TT kit the modem is at least BT compatible. Please can you investigate. On the occasion of previous problems TT, via BTOR, have fitted the NTE5  socket and checked the cabling. Whilst this doesn't rule out a problem it does reduce the likelihood.

Many Thanks

KeithFrench
Community Star

If your WAN IP address keeps changing, that is a symptom of an unstable connection. I have asked one of TalkTalk's OCEs to pick your thread up and investigate it for you.

The forum is not real-time 24/7 support, so depending on how busy they are & how many are working at any one time, this can take 24 - 48 hrs (excluding weekends & limited cover on Bank Holidays). Alternatively, you can call the call centre or use online chat. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. So the fewer entries you make on your thread now, the sooner they will pick it up.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Community Team

Hi LazyFish5,

I'm sorry to hear this and I'll take a look now. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault and I can't see any recent re-connections on the line. Just to confirm, do any of the lights change on the router when the connection drops? Is the voice service also ok with no noise on the line?

Thanks

LazyFish5
Wizz Kid

Hi Michelle,

There is noise on the line - crackling - not continuous.

Disconnections must happen when I am at work or asleep so I can't see the modem status lights. I only know I have been disconnected when I check the ThinkBroadband speediest as this records the IP address allocated. I can send you a copy if required?

My hardware has not changed in a year. Vigor 130+Ubiquiti Gateway + Switch + Cloudkey + AP's. The Openreach modem and TT router provided by you in 2013 was mothballed years ago.

Hope this helps.

Thank you.

Community Team

Hi LazyFish5

Thanks for your reply.

Noise on the line can affect the BB connection so we have to investigate this first.

How often is the noise present? Is the noise still present if you test with a corded handset at the test socket, with the router removed from the line?

Thanks

Debbie

LazyFish5
Wizz Kid

Hi Debbie,

With Vigor 130 Modem disconnected, corded phone added. Initial crackling sometimes then it clears. Same result with Modem connected. Crackling is random. 

Thank you

Community Team

Hi LazyFish5,

Was this with the telephone connected to the test socket? How many telephone sockets do you have?

Chris

LazyFish5
Wizz Kid

Hi Chris,

Yes

One

Thank you

Community Team

Thanks. I've passed this over to our network team for further investigation. Can you bump the thread tomorrow and we'll check for updates 

Thanks

Chris

LazyFish5
Wizz Kid

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the update.

Community Team

Hi LazyFish5,

I'm chasing this up with our network team, I'll let you know when I receive an update 

Thanks

Chris

Community Team

Hi LazyFish5,

Can you switch the router off for 30 minutes then switch back on and let me know when you've done this.

Thanks

Chris

LazyFish5
Wizz Kid

Hi Chris,

I switched off the Vigor130 between 19:00 and 19:30.

Thank you

LazyFish5
Wizz Kid

Hi Chris,

I performed a speedtest and got the following from your site

We recorded your speed as

DownloadUpload

32430 KBits/s(4053.75 KBytes/s)
5331 KBits/s(666.375 KBytes/s)

Looks like it might be fixed. Need it to settle over the next week to be certain

Thank you

Community Team

That's great news, thanks for the update. Please let us know if you experience any further problems

Chris

LazyFish5
Wizz Kid

Hi Chris,

Speed has started to reduced again

clipboard_image_1.png

Community Team

Hi LazyFish5,

DLM changed your profile on the 27th which resulted in your router resyncing at a lower speed, router appears to have been in sync and connected to the Internet since. Could you try switching your router of for 30 minutes then switch back on and check to see if the speed has improved

Chris

LazyFish5
Wizz Kid

Hi Chris,

Modem disconnected for 30'. Little change. Please see details below from my Thinkbroadband account. Thank you.

clipboard_image_0.png

Community Team

Hi LazyFish5

Thank you.

Your line is showing in sync at 31mb. Please can you now leave the router switched on without rebooting for the next 48hrs to see if DLM makes any changes to the line profile.

Thanks

Debbie

LazyFish5
Wizz Kid

Hi Debbie,

OK will do. This is the current practical speed I see, sync speed is higher of course.

Thank you

clipboard_image_0.png