Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Download speed has dropped dramatically

7 REPLIES 7
Chat Champion

Hi,

I had a problem recently with link speed that was resolved  by a visit by an Openreach engineer..

Unfortunately in the last week or so the link has become unstable and the download speed has dropped down to around 25mbit/sec. The SNR margin has gone to 15dB on the downlink and interleaving has turned on.

I have done all the usual things to attempt to rectify the problem, e.g. connected to test socket, tried a different router etc,  but to no avail.

I also tried using the Talktalk service centre, but this came back as there being no fault, but something is clearly 'wrong'.

I would be grateful therefore if this problem could be looked into.

Thanks!

Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Readam,

I'm sorry to hear this. I've run a test on the line now which hasn't detected a fault, however the connection looks very unstable and the sync speed has dropped. Just to confirm, what did the engineer do to resolve this initially? Would you like us to arrange another engineer visit for you if all testing has been completed?

Thanks

Chat Champion

Hi,

The engineer replaced the master socket with a new 5c version and somehow performed a reset on the line. This restored the speed back to the mid-40's downlink.

As far as I am aware nothing was done at the exchange itself,the FTTC cabinet or any of the Openreach cabling - apart from the socket change..

I have no internal house wiring connected to the master socket, and in any case the fault is happening with connection direct to the test socket.

I  would like to take up the offer of another engineer visit, assuming that the problem cant be resolved in any other way, as seems to be the case.

Thanks!

Hi Readam,

if you'd like us to arrange another engineer visit can you confirm:

• That you accept potential Engineers charges
  • Provide availability, either AM (8am to 1pm) or PM (1pm to 6pm) between Monday to Friday.

I've also sent you a PM to confirm some other details 

Thanks

Chris

Chat Champion

Hi Chris,

I’m fine with the potential engineer charges.

PM appointment any day  would be best for me.

I have provided the details that  you requested in  the  PM.

Thanks!

Hi Readam,

Thanks for the PM. I've booked the engineer for Monday afternoon -  September 21 2020, 13:00-18:00  -  please let us know how you get on

Chris

Chat Champion

Hi ,

Sorry for the delay in updating the status of my broadband since the engineer visit.

Essentially it's now performing as it should.  Downlink now around 55Mbit/s and uplink around 15-16Mbit/s. Stability seems good too.

Thanks for the help in getting the problem resolved!

Hi Readam,

Thanks for keeping us updated 🙂

Thanks