Over the past couple of weeks I’ve noticed I’ve been getting lots of connection drops and the WiFi hub is reconnecting at very low download speeds. Currently 5 when I should be getting 40. Upload is fine at 10.
Prior to this the connection was very stable at 40 down and 10 up (FYI I had a lift and shift performed earlier this year. Things had been great since then)
Nothing has changed on my side.
Would someone at TT be able to check please?
I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing problems with your service. Just to confirm, do you still hear the static with just the telephone connected to the test socket, all other telephone equipment (including router) disconnected?
I don’t get any static when connecting my landline to the test socket. But then I tested again in its original place with master socket filter and I don’t any static there either.
Key changes I’m seeing in the router stats:
when end I was getting static
max download rate = low and variable
noise margin = 4.6 down / 5.5 up
attenuation = 27.3
since I’ve disconnected and then reconnected
max download rate = 56k (normal)
noise margin = 27.90 down (very high) / 12 up (normal)
attenuation = 19.3 (normal)
If I remember correctly from all the problems I had earlier this year, I’m think these stats now look ok though the down speed likely being capped by the DLM based on the high noise margin - that right?
Possibly I have a loose connection in the master socket or landline socket???
What do you think?
Thanks for the update. Is the router still connected to the test socket at the moment? Would it be possible to keep the router connected at the test socket for the next 24-48hrs so we can see if DLM makes any changes to the speed?
I’ve just switched back to the test socket using a dlink filter for landline and router. No significant change to the connection stats and download still at 5.8. Up speed is fine at 10.
Will give it a couple of days.
Thanks for confirming this. I've re-run the line test now that the router is connected at the test socket and the line test is still detecting a potential fault. Could you confirm if there is still no noise/static at the moment and I will pass the intermittent connection and drop in speed over for further investigation.
Thanks for passing to OR. Quick update, my connection just dropped. Wasn’t using the landline and couldn’t hear any static when I checked. The tone didn’t sound continuous though. What I mean is that there were quite a few momentary drops in the tone like hanging up real quick if that makes sense. Anyway, here’s the latest router stats, note upload speed has now dropped a little.
An Open Reach Engineer came round last week and checked out my line. Suspicion is either a high resistance or earth fault on the line somewhere but nothing significant was showing at the time of the test. The theory is that my connectivity problems restarted just after the change in weather i.e. the rain. It has been stable since the lift and shift earlier this year, April I think.
He performed a reset and my internet reconnected at 40down/10up (max down speed approx 57). It's been relatively stable since though yesterday my connection dropped during the day, at the same time I had a small amount of static on the line. Internet reconnected at 40/10 though this time the max down speed has dropped to 42.
I'm convinced there is a fault somewhere between my house and the exchange though it's not significant enough to be found easily. Also for some reason their equipment doesn't report my line route or length so presumably even if they could detect the fault they couldn't pin point it to a particular location. I got the impression it would be like finding a needle in a haystack.
In any case, I'll keep monitoring over the next few weeks.
Thanks for your help.