Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Download speeds have halfed.

15 REPLIES 15
Ohmzz
Team Player

Hi,

A while ago I used to get 6 to 7MBps download speeds, but lately I've been getting half that.

I believe we're on the Fibre65 package, this is the best available for our house according to the package checker, but for all my neighbours the average download speeds show ~9MBps, but ~3MBps for our house.

I set up a new router a while ago too, and a few months ago I bought a better fibre modem thinking this would help improve stability, and then speeds. I'm not seein any difference in speeds though.

My connection is stable and I've not been disconnected once. A while ago our internet did go down when some engineers replaced a section of wiring. I didn't have any issues before this, no noise or crackling on the line, but was a bit cheeky and got one of the engineers to check out wallport, they didn't see any issues either and suggested a period of clean activity would allow speeds to automatically bump back up, but we've not seen this.

What's going on here? I don't understand why all our neighbours show average download speeds of double mine on the avilability checker, and especially not when we also used to get double the speeds. I noticed this several years ago but it never really bothered me until now, as it's starting to impact my work.

Also if it helps, our router is an Archer C2600, with a Draytek Vigor 130 modem.

Could I get some help with this please?

Thanks

Ohmzz
Team Player
Also just to be clear, our connection is stable and has been for months. I don't notice any crackling on the line or anything like that. I'm consistently hitting 3MBps speeds, this isn't up and down. I'm working from home which involves a fair bit of data, and when family are on the internet then I get issues with data streaming and VOIP, so I'd greatly appreciate if someone could look into this for me!
Skynet_TX
Community Star

Hi @Ohmzz,

Just to clarify, I'm assuming when you say MBps you are referring to megabytes per second rather than megabits per second.

If you run a TalkTalk speed test (which will give results in mbps (megabits per second)) what results do you get.

If you go to the Service Centre what does it show for your estimated speed range. If you log into your router to check your sync speed does this show speeds below that estimated range.

The staff here won't be around now until Monday, but they should be able to respond to this post early next week to help.

OCE_Chris
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Ohmzz,

Line test is passing and current sync speed is 32.4Mbps. How many telephone sockets do you have? Do you have anything connected to your telephone socket(s) in addition to your router?

Does your master socket have a Test Socket?

Chris

Ohmzz
Team Player

Hi @Skynet_TX , yes sorry I meant megabytes.

Hello Chris - we only have the one phone socket I believe, it's a pre-filtered FTTC type socket.

It only had the phone and modem connected. I tried running a speed test with the phone unplugged, still seeing ~30Mbps down, but that's probably to be expected.

I can remove the faceplate to expose the test socket. I'll see if I can dig out a microfilter incase I should be doing a test?

OCE_Chris

Hi Ohmzz,

Could you connection your router to your test socket and leave it there for at least 48 hours, to give DLM chance to respond to any improvement by moving you to a faster profile

Chris

Ohmzz
Team Player

Hi Chris,

Hmm if I somehow connect the router directly to the test socket I'd imagine I'd lose internet.

I have a separate FTTC modem that the router connects to, can I use a microfilter in the test socket to connect to the modem for 48 hours instead?

OCE_Chris

Hi Ohmzz,

Yes, you can connect the modem to the test socket if you prefer 

Chris

Ohmzz
Team Player

Thanks for confirming - I didn't have a microfilter with a port for the modem on it so ordered one. When it comes, I'll run the connection through the test socket and let you know how I get on.

OCE_Chris
Ohmzz
Team Player
Hi Chris,

The connection has been running through the "test socket" for almost 48 hours, I've not noticed a difference yet.

Just want to make sure I'm doing this right. When I removed the faceplate on the phone socket, there was only 1 socket underneath - this would have been used by the pre-filtered faceplate that my modem was plugged into beforehand. Was there meant to be a 2nd unused socket for testing?
OCE_Chris

Hi Ohmzz,

yes that is the test socket. As the speed hasn't improved we can arrange an engineer visit to investigate. If you'd like us to do this please let us know and we'll confirm some details

Chris

Ohmzz
Team Player
Hi, yes please could we get an engineer to investigate further.

Thanks
OCE_Chris

Hi Ohmzz,

If you'd like us to go ahead with the engineer visit can you confirm:

• That you accept potential Engineers charges
  • Provide availability, either AM (8am to 1pm) or PM (1pm to 6pm) between Monday to Friday.

I've also sent you a PM to confirm some other details

Thanks

Chris

Ohmzz
Team Player
Hi Chris,

I've replied to your PM, but I'm having issues registering with our account number to provide further info. We've been on the phone with support to confirm what our account number should be, as the one we're trying to register with from our invoices isn't working. I was told to wait for an email with more information - but this just tells us our case has been closed (#07444636), so still unable to register with TalkTalk.

The engineer we were speaking to did say they saw drops on our line before the 28th of April, and that it's been stable after that. I didn't notice any issues with our internet, but it's good to hear it's stable. The speeds are still half of what they should be though.

Something really odd is going on with our account, it seems we're being charged for 2 packages, £14.5 for simple fibre, and £31 for complete busniess fibre. I'm not sure why we're not on Fibre65, which is the fastest broadband avilable for our household - this is also much cheaper at £24 - could this be fixed please?

Also could the packages being paid for currently be causing the issue with our speeds? Perhaps if a system somewhere see's we're paying for simple fibre, it's then throttling us down?
OCE_Chris

Hi Ohmzz,

I've replied to your PM

Chris