Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Download speeds

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
First Timer

Having a go at posting on here because the online chat is going round in circles. I have a 40Mb connection and for the last 2 years I've been getting that. But the last few months it's been all over the place. Its maxing out at about 36Mbs at the moment, and that check is done when only one device is connected. Lowest was 20Mbs and this happened during a chat as well, and was told that the connection was healthy. I asked if it was just ping speed that the check was done and they refused to answer, and now a bright sparks engineer has to come out to see if it's a problem on my side. I was told that the fee would be refunded if it wasnt a problem on my side though. Oh, and I was given a false number also to call in to arrange refund if required. I don't think that they thought I was going to check whist on the conversation! They they backtracked to the uk automated help line once I challenged it. I asked if the exchange was good for my connection and that was confirmed. I'll get the basics out of the way incase any talktalk employees want to jump in. It's a sagemcom router, replaced 6 months ago by talktalk. The band and channel speeds have been changed multiple times by agents, oh and the router kicks off wifi connected devices at random times as well. Maybe someone out there has had same problems? Remedies? Any help welcomed.

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi CraigA-

I'm really sorry to hear this.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults and your line is in sync at 40mb.

Have you tested with a HG633 router or only the WiFi Hub?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
First Timer

Yup, that's what the other agents said. Are you able to give a little bit more info on what you did for a line test? There was quite a bit of info in that post of mine that goes into different aspects of the problems I'm having including the type of router I have which is supplied by TT

What is a HG633? I have a private router plugged in at the moment because the one supplied keeps disconnecting my devices. I'll use the sagemcom when the engineer arrives, to see if there is anything he can do. The sagemcom was connected when talking with the previous agent when the speeds were unstable which is why the engineer was offered. 

To note...I have had no problems with the router I bought, it's stable, doesn't kick my devices off and gets the same speeds as the sagemcom. Both my router and the sagemcom are maxing out at 36 that's the highest I've seen it in months there are no devices connected at the time of the speed test. And getting the same speed result on multiple devices,  laptop, phones TV...

I used to get 40Mbs so I cant fathom why the service has been so bad the last few months. 

Highlighted

Hi CraigA-,

Are you sure you have been getting throughput speeds of 40Mbps? This isn't really possible if your sync speed is 40Mbps, throughput speeds are always lower than sync speed, generally between around 80%-90%, Throughput speeds of 37Mbps plus would be concidered very good if your router is syncing at 40Mbps

Chris

Highlighted
First Timer

Hi Chris,

Yes I was achieving 39-40 on my connection, was definitely saying that when I carried out speed checks in the past. Peak times I'm getting anything between 25 and 36. One of the chats I was on, the agent confirmed that he was seeing bad speeds and also saw devices being disconnected on the router log files. I'd say 70% of the time I'm getting about 35-36. Its promised on my account to get 39 to 40.  You are the first person from talk talk to tell me that 35- 36 is what to expect on a 40Mb connection. Can you tell me the difference between sync speed and throughput speed please? Wasn't aware of the difference between them and that the connection I have is sync speed and not throughput speed. Because I'm feeling a bit silly now after you saying that it's not even possible to get the speeds that I've seen? 

Highlighted

Hi CraigA-

The throughput speed (speed test) will always be slightly less than the sync speed. 

Your sync speed, also known as your line speed, is the maximum speed at which your router can connect to the internet. It's determined by how far away you are from the local telephone exchange

Throughput speed, this is the speed you receive over your connection.

Your broadband speed is how fast data is sent (uploaded) and received (downloaded) over your Internet connection. Our broadband speed test measures your throughput speed and your results will be displayed in Megabits per second (Mbps). The more Megabits your broadband can transfer per second, the faster your connection is and the more you can do online.

For the most accurate results, take a look at our tips before you start:

• Test with a wired connection for a more accurate reading.
  • Stay within 3 meters of your router if you're running the test over Wi-Fi.
  • Make sure there are no obstacles between your router and the device you're running the test on.
  • Find your average speed by running 3 tests on different days at different times. This will give you a much clearer picture of your actual broadband speed.

Thanks

Debbie