cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Downloads speed ok, but web pages so SO slow to load...

10 REPLIES 10
First Timer

I've been looking through this site and see this is a very common complaint. 

I had an HG633 and complained via chat. I plugged in my own Netgear D6400 and same problem (but at least my connection stopped dropping out). I was sent a new Sagemcom Fast 5364 and while the wifi range was better, the internet was still glitchy, dropping out and still slow to load pages and pictures. I complained again via chat, and was sent another Sagemcom, and I'm still having the same problem.

I can use only wifi as my master socket is in an inconvenient place for wired connection. I'm experiencing this on my Windows PC, Chromebook, iPad and android phone. And while using Firefox, IE and Chrome

As I said, I've read many posts from people complaining about the same issue, and I think it's either an issue with the routers own Beamforming or MU-MIMO software that is creating a delay, but I've also read that TalkTalk uses some sort of WiFi Optimisation on the line that only they can turn on and off.

What ever it is, even with my average speed of 25Mb, I'm really tired of tapping on a link and having to watch a little wheel spin while TalkTalk figures out what to do.

Can you PLEASE get my internet access to be consistent and dependable.

Highlighted
First Timer
I should add that I've tried using Google and Open DNS settings, but it's hard to tell if it makes any difference. Also, I've repeatedly tried turning the Wifi hub off for 30 minutes to allow it to "reset", which does, in fact, seem to make a difference immediately after the restart, but after a bit I begin noticing the lag again.
Highlighted
First Timer

Sorry if my post just sounded like a big rant (which I guess it was). 

I really would be interested in how to solve this. If anyone has any suggestions as to what else I could try, I'm all ears.

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi ukbeachbum,

Line test is passing and router is in sync at 25.7Mbps. I know you've said that it's inconvenient to connect wired but would be able to do this for just a short time so that we can see if this is just a wireless issue?

Chris

Highlighted
First Timer
Hi Chris,

Thanks for getting back to me. To be honest, I actually can't. My main socket and WifiHub are downstairs where I use Wifi on my iPad, Chromebook and phones, which aren't able to be wired into the router (and my FireTV stick also uses the Wifi). My Windows PC is upstairs, but the Wifi signal is still very strong.

And I hate to throw one more thing into the mix, and don't know if it's related, but I manually change my wifi signal to Channel 1 to avoid interference with my neighbours wifi on Channel 6, but I find the router keeps changing back to it's own Channel 6 by itself.

Thanks
Highlighted
Community Team

Thanks for the information 

The channel changing will be wifi optimisation, it automatically selects the best channel

If you use wireless devices in close proximity to the router, say within one meter, does this make any difference to the slow webpages?

Chris

Highlighted
First Timer

I've been out today, so turned off the router because, why not? As it usually perks up after a restart, I'll let you know tomorrow.

Thanks 

Highlighted
First Timer

Hi Chris,

I stood right next to the router and it's hard to say if the speeds improved. Maybe? In everyday usage, I'm only sitting 10-15 feet from the router and in direct line of sight.The wifi signal itself seems strong enough to reach my computer up stairs. Like I've said, the download speeds are around 25Mb, it's just the time it takes normal browsing pages to load that is bothering me.

At the moment, things seem to be a bit better this morning since I turned the router back on last night, but I'll let you know if that changes throughout the day.

As for the channel changing, there are three other BT wifi signals showing on Channel 6 that belong to neighbours, in addition to my own wifi, but nothing on Channel 1. Wouldn't the best channel be the one with the least traffic?

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi

I've turned off wifi optimisation, anually set the channel and see if there is improvement.

Thanks

Karl. 

Highlighted
First Timer

Well, for the past couple of days it's been much better. Whether that's down to me turning the router off for 6 hours, or you turning the optimisation off, I don't know, but something has changed and pages are loading much faster.

Also, my wifi is staying on the channel I select.

Having read so many other posts from people having the same problem with slow webpage loading, I'm inclined to think the "optimisation" is less than optimal for some, but that's just a hunch.

For the time being, I'm just happy things are working as they should. I'll let you know if that changes. Thanks for the input and suggestions.