Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Dropping fibre speeds in evening

24 REPLIES 24
Turneri90
Chatterbox

Every evening my speeds drop to around 3mbps compared to around 34mbps in the daytime. I don’t understand why there is such a drastic drop. It’s very frustrating as the evening is when it is used the most. 

Skynet_TX
Community Star

Hi @Turneri90,

The staff here will be able to take a look at this for you, but they won't be back here until next week, and will have a backlog of posts from over Christmas to work through, so they will hopefully be able to respond sometime next week to help.

OCE_Debbie
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Turneri90

Apologies for the delay.

Please can you add your TalkTalk landline number to your Community Profile, we can then look into this further.

Thanks

Debbie

Turneri90
Chatterbox

Hi thanks for getting back to me. I do not have a landline number sorry.

Skynet_TX
Community Star

Hi @Turneri90,

If you have regular Fibre then you will have a landline number, even if you don't use a landline phone, you can see the number on screen if you log into 'My Account', it may also be visible on screen if you go to the Service Centre

The staff here won't try to call you on the landline, they just need the number to be able to identify your account.

Turneri90
Chatterbox
I found it and it’s been updated.
OCE_Karl

Hi 

All tests are clear and all levels across the line also look fine.

When the speed drops, are you using wifi or a direct wired connection ?

Do you know if anyone else is using the connection at the time and if they are using anything that may utilise bandwidth ?

If you can also run a wired ping and trace route to google when the speed is low, that will help.

Run a Ping or Traceroute

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Turneri90
Chatterbox
I play a lot of online gaming with a wired connection. most evenings it drops dramatically compared to the day and I get high packet loss/jitter, and speeds average 3 to 6 mbps, even if no one else is streaming or using bandwidth. Even if someone else is streaming, surely it should take such a drastic drop? I will run a ping and traceroute and post the results.
OCE_Chris

Hi Turneri90,

How has it been since your last post. Have you had chance to run the ping and traceroute yet?

Chris

Turneri90
Chatterbox
Hi so last night my internet disconnected and when it came back on the speeds were hitting 75mbps. I don’t know what you guys did but it’s been great since last night best speeds I’ve ever had.
OCE_Chris

That's great news Turneri90, thanks for letting us know

Chris

Turneri90
Chatterbox

my connection has dropped off again, it dropped to around 3mbps at one point I've attached a ping and traceroute word document. I've been getting speeds of 65mbps and up for about 2 weeks and now its gone again. 

OCE_Michelle

Hi Turneri90,

I'm sorry to hear this. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault and the sync speed looks consistent. Just to confirm, is the speed slow at all times of the day or just the evening? Please can you run a wired speed test using the TalkTalk Speed Tester so we can see your recent speeds.

Thanks

Turneri90
Chatterbox

in the day its generally good. i get speeds around 65 to 75 mbps but most evenings it drops significantly. I've attached and print screen of a speed test this evening. 

Turneri90
Chatterbox

just to add this was a wired test with no other devices connected.

OCE_Michelle

Hi Turneri90,

Thank you. Can you run a few more speed tests during evening and also during the day as well so our Network Engineers can see the change in speeds and we can log this straight over for you.

Thanks

Turneri90
Chatterbox

I've attached a few speed tests the higher speeds are during the day and the lower speeds are from around 6pm until 12pm.

OCE_Chris

Hi Turneri90,

Thanks for the information. How has it been since your last post, have speeds still been dropping in the evening?

Chris

Turneri90
Chatterbox
yes its every evening now and becoming unusable between 6 and 11 pm
OCE_Michelle

Morning,

Thanks for confirming. I've passed this over to our Network Team for investigation and I will post back here as soon as I receive an update back.

Thanks