Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Early termination of contract and compensation sought

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Sightseer

A year ago, I purchased Fast Fibre for my vulnerable, 90 year old mother who is now being shielded. We have never achieved anything like the 11Mbs download speeds promised. The service is regularly unavailable during the day and when when I try to Facetime my mother once a day, it is not unusual for her to loose the video connection and total loss of connection at least once in 30 mins. We have had two engineer visits with little improvement. The 24/7 support does not exist. Then last night her phone (and only way to contact the outside world in case of emergency), was totally dead. 24 hours later, it is still dead, the support agent said someone had disconnected it and would get an engineer out in 5 days time !!!! After challenging that ridiculous suggestion, we were advised that Talk Talk would try and improve on that date, but could only give 30 mins notice. The contract has 5 months to run, but I urgently need to change to a much more reliable and responsive provider in order to protect my mother. How do I do that and how do I obtain compensation for breach of contract? 

Highlighted
Community Star

@Chris D1  11Mbps doesn't sound like Faster Fibre - that would be more like the speed for a healthy ordinary Fast Broadband connection.

Very worrying having the phone line down like that. 

In the short term,  you need to see if TT can get that line up and running again asap.

Any switch would take longer than the 5 days waiting for an engineer. 

For complaints: see the Complaints Code, linked at the foot of any TT page. 

To leave you need to find another Openreach based supplier who would take over the line and do the cancellation of her TT account for her.

Or, go with a cable company like Virgin. This uses different equipment and infrastructure, so they don't take over the Openreach line.

In that case the account holder should phone 03451 720046, after 9am. You will have to ensure the Talktalk account is cancelled yourselves,  and leave the Direct Debit in place until the bills say £0.00. It can take a couple of months to reach that stage, as TT always bills the month ahead and then refunds the difference if it is due.

Early termination fees may be due. 

You can also cancel in writing, as detailed in the Ts&Cs at the foot of any TT page. 

You need to add her account details to the Private Notes section at the end Personal Information in your community forum profile details, for staff to identify her account, in case this needs following up. Go via your avatar/name; settings; drop down menu starting "email" - from this choose Personal Information. Find Private Notes at the end.

Her name and landline phone number are the crucial details. Save changes. 

Gliwmaeden2
Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Chris,

I'm really sorry to hear this. Please can you add your mums name and home telephone number to your Community Profile and we can look into this fault. Please do not post any personal information on the Community.

Thanks

Highlighted
Sightseer

Many thanks for your advice and comments.

As of this evening, three days later, still no phone line and still no promise of when we are likely to see an engineer. Further investigation, I signed up for an 18 month contract which would end on 6th August 20, so I will just switch to another provider. However, some documentation says 24 months (it actually says days instead on months, some says 18 months). After two previous engineer visits, Talk Talk sent out a customer survey. On both occasions, I complained about the lack of a fix, but did not get any follow up, so looks like the customer survey is just a gimmick and a box ticking exercise.

Highlighted

Hi Chris D1, if you change your mind just add the details to private notes in your community profile and we'll be happy to investigate this for you.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted
Sightseer

This is now day 5 NO PHONE and now no internet connection for 24 hours, we have an outstanding fault raised 4 days ago. Zero contact or update from Talk Talk. My mother is 90 years old, has dementia, is shielding, has medical issues, not allowed out of the house, now totally cut off. Not able to call emergency services if needed. She is very vulnerable. Talk talk is a disgrace and should have its provider licence reviewed. I will be suspending payment on my mother’s behalf from tonight and changing providers immediately. Good luck to those customers who stay with these people. Contacting a human being for help is a farce. They are not providing the service we have paid for, breach of contract. I can’t get into my Community Profile as the stupid web site doesn’t recognise my password and won’t let me re-set it.

Highlighted
Sightseer

Today Chat line too busy, tried phoning for an update, just get cut off. TOTALLY FRUSTRATED, VERY ANNOYED. It is all Talk Talk and zero action. I have updated my personal profile, no response.

Highlighted
Sightseer

Phone has been dead since Tuesday, reported Wednesday. Saturday evening, STILL DEAD!!!!!!!

Agent advised as my mum is vulnerable, would make it a priority, expect a call from an engineer giving 30 minutes notice. STILL WAITING!!!!!

Nothing likely to happen on Sunday, so this priority response will have taken at least 6 days if the engineer materialises on Monday.

TT team not interested, so all future payment now suspended until phone fixed and compensation received. Now turning to social media for help.

Highlighted
Community Star

@Chris D1 I can understand your frustration, but TalkTalk have offered to help here, There are Data Protection regulations to be observed, But if you can put your mother's phone number in your community profile then the team can start to investigate and try to help. Simply cancelling the service, or withholding payment, is only likely to make things worse.

Highlighted

Hi Chris

Your community account is not verified.  You need to respond / action the verification email that was sent to the email address you used to register.

This will then allow you to add the details to your profile.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

STAY HOME      -      PROTECT THE NHS      -      SAVE LIVES