Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Erratic Speed & Outages

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi,

Just recently I have suffered several outages, some lasting 30 minutes or more together with speeds which vary greatly.    On Friday I initaited a chat session which resulted in the facte that the diagnostic tools could not see my router.   I was told to chat back later which I did with the same result;     So Saturday i again initiated a chat sesseion and because I am unable to chat via my mobile phone, a call back was booked for later that day.    This call back did not happen!.    So I am reluctant to go back to chat as I don't seem to get anywhere.

My router is a Sagem fast 5364-3 STB.    In anticipation of request, I am connected via a filter to the test socket.

My minimum gaurunteed speed is 60mbs.      The speed Im getting varies between 20mbs to 48mbs.   No where near to what I am used to.    My package is Faster Fibre with Speed Boost.

Your help would be much appreciated.

Ian

Ian
Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Ian,

Sorry to hear you're experiencing problems with your service 

Line test is passing and sync speed is currently 68.6Mbps. Line history is showing one reconnections on the 1st and two on the 8th nothing else so far this month - do the lights change on the router when the connection drops?

Thanks 

Chris

Highlighted
Popular Poster

This router has a single light which is normally white.    When the connection drops, it chenges to orange.     It then blinks until connection is established.

Thanks

Ian

Ian
Highlighted
Popular Poster

If I remember rightly, the other outages were the latter part ot January.     One of the re-connections on the 8th was when I removed the faceplate and connected via the test socket.

hope this helps.

Regards

Ian

Ian
Highlighted

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the information. 

Your sync speed looks fine so are you seeing the throughput speeds on a device connected to your router by Ethernet cable or wifi?

Chris

Highlighted
Popular Poster

When I was on chat to your colleague on Friday my PC was on a wired connection.  So tomorrow I will put it back on wired and do more tests whilst disconnecting all other devices.  I will then get back to you.

incidently, when I did a test using your online diagnostic tool there was a fault detected which led me to initiate the original chat!

Thanks again.

ian

Ian
Highlighted
Popular Poster

I have just noticed that my phone line is a little noisy.  I don’t use the phone that much but it was certainly noticeable!

ian

Ian

Hi ian,

Thanks for the update. Noise on the line can affect the broadband connection. Is the noise present at the test/master socket with 2 different handsets and with all other devices removed from the line? Is the noise also permanent or intermittent?

Thanks

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

The noise is constant.    Sorry I only have one handset.    The noise is still present when the router is disconnected.   Nothing else is connected to this line.

Here are the results of my tests this morning on wired connection.

0840 Down = 18.3

0858 = Down 67.3

0915 = Down 67.3

0918 = Down 65.46

0930 = Down 66.97

The Up speeds are quite constant at around 18.

I was very surprised at the out come of the speedtest as I've never had such high speeds before, even on a wired connection.

I'm wondering if it the old recurring fault that was iniitially caused by the gardener chopping through the main feed to the property.    This resulted in the (aluminium) cable having to be rejoined.   This cable feeds 5 Flats and the joins have caused problems before because of corrosion caused by damp getting in.      An engineer was here a few days ago trying to sort a problem that my neighbor had.     

Anyway, the last four tests seem quite positive so quite honestly I don't know what to make of it!

Over to you

Ian

Ian
Highlighted

I'll ask our network team if there is anything they can do, line tests are coming back clear. 

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi Arne,

Thanks for your reply.      As the line is now coming back clear and youy colleagues don't come up with anything, I sugggest as things seem to have settled down, we see how it goes over time and if there are further issues if will start another thread.     I have 2 other routers, HG635 and an HG633, so if something happens later I will put the HG635 on and see what happens.

Thanks again

Ian

Ian
Highlighted