Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Extending network

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Super Duper Contributor

I am having problems obtaining a half decent signal in one bedroom. Wireless is useless, so I  purchased a pair of power line adapters. These were better than the PLAs but not very reliable. Sometimes they were working at 25Mbs but then theey would drop to 5Mbs and Netflix would slow right down and be buffering..

One of my sons has suggested running an ethernet cable from router to bedroom - the route is easy - but there are three devices in the bedroom so three ethernet cables tchbe have to be run. A trawl of the internet produced the suggestion of using a redundant router as a switch, located in the bedroom. this would require only one cable from router to bedroom.

Has anyone tried this, successfully? If so, how should the "switch", ie second router, be configured?

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi David, if poss the router should be set to access point, which lets the router doing the modem work make all the decisions.

I have pla from router to living room the Asus router in access point mode on main floor and the 4 Ethernet ports do a great job, I even use the WiFi on the Asus rather than the other router.

Worth trying.

I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.
Highlighted
Super Duper Contributor
There is no facility on the router to set it to access point. I turned off as much as I could, including the DHCP, gave the router a fixed IP address, outside the range used by DHCP on the main router. and it seems to be working correctly. At last I am getting no complaints from my son when he's watching Netflix.
Highlighted
Community Star

That's great news son happy Dad happy, pub time?😇

I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.
Highlighted
Philosopher

@davidw40 wrote:
There is no facility on the router to set it to access point. I turned off as much as I could, including the DHCP, gave the router a fixed IP address, outside the range used by DHCP on the main router. and it seems to be working correctly. At last I am getting no complaints from my son when he's watching Netflix.

As Mr Punch said "That's the way to do it "

Using this method with multiple old routers here in Thailand too, works fine with an ethernet switch that is running/powering our CCTV cameras.

Martin