Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

FAST 5364 Wi-Fi channel keeps changing

13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Chatterbox

FAST 5364 Wi-Fi channel keeps changing even though AUTO is not selected.  This is annoying as I have a bridge connection which, if not on the same channel as the 5364, does not connect.  I then have to change the bridge connection channel to match the 5364 channel number, only to have to repeat the process a few hours later.  I have seen other posts on this subject, where it appears that it is passed off as a 'helpful' feature of the modem but quite frankly it is a pain.  If I wanted it to change channel by itself, I would set channel selection to AUTO.  I also notice that this has started to happen after a recent software update.   Talktalk need to recognise that there are users out there who are struggling with this 'feature' and that users need the option to switch it off.

Highlighted
Community Star

This is part of TalkTalk's remote management system & therefore they are the only ones who can turn it off. I will ask the OCEs to do this for you, however, it won't be until Monday now. The service centre or online chat can probably help you if this is not soon enough.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Chatterbox

Much appreciated Keith. 

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi daviesjj

Apologies for the delay.

I have arranged for the Wi-Fi optimisation technology to be switched off on your line.

Please let us know how the connection compares following this?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Popular Poster

I have exactly the same problem.  I asked TalkTalk (through live chat) yesterday (Sunday 23/02/2020) to stop the remote assistance which they did within a few minutes.  However this morning the channel had changed back to 11 which is the worst channel for interference at this location, often only 10-15 dBm below the TalkTalk signal.  Why can't the user change the channel without the router changing back to AUTO.  Sometimes my 40 mbps wifi is registering only 3 mbps at the computer end, slower than when I changed to fibre.  This is all occurring on the 2.4 Ghz connecton, the only one available on the two laptops in this location.  Some real help is required as I'm sure, (by the internet complaints on this subject), many other users are having the same problem. 

Highlighted

Hi davidneedshelp

Please can you create a new thread, we can then look into this further.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Chatterbox

Thanks Debbie - I see you posted on the 18th and for a while (several days i fact) all appeared to be well but I am sorry to report that today (26th) I noticed that the the channel switched again on the FAST 5364,  😞 so as usual I had to change my bridge channel to match.  I see others are having the same problem in that the 'service' has been switched off, but this does not seem to fix the problem. 

thanks

jjd

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @daviesjj 

A slightly separate issue to the WiFi Optimisation not being turned off, I want to pick up on your other comment.

Please can you explain what this bridge is & why you have to set it to the same channel as the router? If you have two APs (router & bridge) on the same channel in your property, they will be interfering with each other & may cancel each other out, rendering the WiFi coverage to be near nothing.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted

Hi daviesjj

The optimisation was set as read only so there may have still been an impact.  I've set if fully off.  See if this is better.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

STAY HOME      -      PROTECT THE NHS      -      SAVE LIVES

Highlighted
Chatterbox

Thanks Karl - its working okay, at the moment. 

Thanks

Jonathan

Highlighted
Chatterbox

Hi Keith,

I use it for the reasons given:-

https://www.digitalairwireless.com/articles/blog/what-is-a-wireless-bridge

Thanks for your earlier help

Jonathan

Highlighted

Hi Jonathan,

Just let us know if you experience any further problems

Chris

Highlighted
Chatterbox

Thanks Chris

I can report that all still working as requested - I think this one can be closed.

Thanks Jonathan

Highlighted

That's great news, thanks Jonathan 🙂

Chris